Tooting Groundshare

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by 59robbery, May 8, 2018.

1. 59robbery

59robbery Member

TheBogEnd » Groundshare.....

I post this just to flag up the genuine concern there is amongst some of our supporters. The more you guys can reassure that group the better it will be for both clubs.

2. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

Dulwich are in no position to buy the ground and even if they were they wouldn't want to. The sole aim is to get back to Dulwich.

Senior members of the club have made it clear they have no interest in a permanent relocation to Tooting or anywhere else. As long as they are around you really don't have to worry about DHFC taking up permanent residence at Tooting's expense.

Poids likes this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Well said:
    We all want the ground to be as good as possible, and I hope that Hamlet's tenure leaves Tooting's ground in a much better condition when we leave. I can't think of any circumstances where the club or its supporters would back a takeover of your ground.

Jimbob73 and Poids like this.
  4. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

I'd never support a move to Tooting, or anywhere else away from the Dulwich area. Tooting fans can be assured I'd be right next to them protesting at even the suggestion.

Even the thought of us buying another clubs ground makes me feel sick.

We WILL eventually get Champion Hill back and we WILL always be grateful to Tooting.

5. 59robbery

59robbery Member

Keep the comments coming. I'll re-post this link on our forum.

6. Jimbob73

We might however steal the Jerk Chicken Hut and drag it back to champion Hill with us! :p

7. NPDHFC

NPDHFC NAC-ITM

Tooting have been wonderful hosts and you coming to our aid will never be forgotten by the club. You have one of the best grounds at our level and I will admit to being a tad jealous of what you have. But without doubt, the prime concern for all of us right now is to get back to Champion Hill as soon as possible.

YTC, scousedom, editor and 1 other person like this.
  8. Poids

Poids Well-Known Member

I can only speak for myself here, but all I can tell you is I feel immense gratitude to Tooting. The rivalry thing is all good fun, but I genuinely want to see you, as another local South London club, doing well and I really hope you'll get promoted next season. I'm very aware that I'm a guest at your home (which as mentioned above, is a bloody brilliant ground) and I'm a very, very grateful one for as long as we're there.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The only thing I'm after is one of your comfy bar sofas. They'd look nice in my living room :)

But to repeat: it would really be against the club's and fans' ethos to try and buy up another team's ground, especially one that has helped us stay in existence.

With us moving up a league (and you lot dropping down, sorry), I imagine the bigger Hamlet gates will continue to provide revenue to improve the ground and your team.

Thimble Queen and Poids like this.
  10. cambelt

cambelt Well-Known Member

Wouldn't mind taking the terracing back with us too.

iamwithnail, Nivag and Pink Panther like this.
  11. gnar182

gnar182 i am an okay person

To echo other sentiments and with the upmost respect to your club I do not want to move to Mitcham full time and the sooner we’re back in Dulwich the better.

That said how much do you want for your terracing and the jerk shack ;)

12. pinknblue

pinknblue Well-Known Member

I'd like to think that Dulwich Hamlet have a better moral compass than Wimbledon/Chelsea. I think this is illustrated by the way we constantly build community, give stuff away to others and promote many good causes. If we were to attempt to take over Imperial Fields we would no longer be who we claim to be and I would no longer be a Dulwich supporter. But it'll never happen because we have people in charge who value who we are more than what we can get out of others. At least that's how I see it!

Poids likes this.
  13. pinknblue

pinknblue Well-Known Member

It would be great to get more food and drink (even a soft drinks table?) outlets for next season. It's so hard to get anything to eat or drink at Tooting with our crowds. It would also be great to get the pitch in better condition though I thought it played better yesterday than on Thursday. One of the best things about Champion Hill over the last couple of seasons has been the quality of the playing surface.

14. 59robbery

59robbery Member

I'm not sure our lot are going to be able to cope with the love-in on this thread. Will things ever be the same again. :D

15. Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill Moving target

Amen to that. Can I just add a word or two to express completely pissed off I was that after 2 years of traipsing around for the play-off final, we finally get home advantage, and I still had a 2 hour round trip to get to the game. I started watching Hamlet precisely because they were on my doorstep, and the club was and is very welcoming to new supporters & active locally. The idea of relocating to Merton permanently is not appealing, and the idea that we make another club homeless to do so is abhorrent. I would probably stop going.

Poids, cambelt and Pink Panther like this.
  16. Jimbob73

Ok just piss off out of our forum then you Tooting twat!

is that better ;)

17. 59robbery

59robbery Member

That's more like it - moron :p

iamwithnail, YTC and Jimbob73 like this.
  18. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Personally I prefer the Thai pop-up at Champion Hill. I'd like to think that when we get back we can develop the ground long-term with the sort of terracing Tooting have. It's a great ground, and you could easily get 4,000 in there despite the official capacity being 3,500, but it's in Mitcham not Dulwich.

Attendances of 1,000 playing there may look impressive, but let's remember we were getting 2,000+ for Saturday games in April at Champion Hill. Every match we play there the attendance is around half what we'd expect for the same fixture at Champion Hill. Those Meadow bastards are costing us a fortune in lost gate receipts by forcing us to play there. We must have lost at least £50k over the five league matches, two cup semi-finals and two play-off matches we've been forced to play on the road.

Our club belongs in Dulwich. It remains to be seen what impact there will be if we're stuck at Mitcham beyond the end of next season. If we struggle at the higher level attendances and hence revenue may drop off, if there's a change of management at any stage that may have a further adverse effect. There are still far too many imponderables for my liking until we can get back home, and "taking over" the KiNKy Stadium wouldn't resolve any of them. We're lucky to have such a nice venue to share for the foreseeable future, but I'd also like to see a strong Tooting & Mitcham United. I was genuinely dismayed when they pulled a couple of sub-150 attendances for league matches. Hopefully the publicity around the Hamlet may raise local awareness of T&MU being there and help pull in a few more locals for their matches. It's unfortunate that the ground is so far from Tooting and on the "wrong" side of Mitcham.

clog, darryl, Buffalo Bill and 4 others like this.
  19. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

I started to go to Hamlet games as its the only proper ground within several miles that wasn't an expensive Palace/Millwall/Charlton option. Theres Peckham Town and the Sunday league games around Dulwich fields there too, but Hamlet fills a crucial local club gap geographically around south-south-east london. Tooting is a world away frankly...

20. AlanJTerror

AlanJTerror Member

I must say reading all the comments above does make our situation more clearer, the only negative, from my perspective is, our chairman is a businessman first and last, and seeing the extra revenue your tenure is generating is bound to make him think! also the fact that he has no real interest in football, he likes his balls to be oval not round.

21. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Who owns the ground?

22. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I think it's fair for them be a little wary, if not of a take over then of the conflicts of interest that will inevitably arise from time to time. Hopefully time will show there's nothing to worry about.

23. Monkeygrinder's Organ

I did hear a rumour that the FA mandates our games be on Saturdays where there's a clash as the higher league team. Is there any truth in that?

24. sealion

sealion Conscientious selector

Have you been to Fisher fc Ska ? It's over in Surrey docks.

25. Pink Panther

That's nowhere near the standard of Champion Hill. Hamlet will be closer to the Football League than to Fisher's level next season. I'm not knocking them as a club, but DHFC bridges quite a big gap between all the other local non-league clubs and the Millwall/ Charlton level.
    Yes. National League fixtures take precedence over Regional League (i.e. Isthmian League) fixtures. It was the same for us when Fisher Athletic were at Champion Hill at that level.

26. 59robbery

59robbery Member

Which, of course, will be another bone of contention with our lot - potentially having to play on a Friday or Sunday.

Let's hope the two leagues are savvy enough to ensure home fixtures are on alternate Saturdays.

27. Pink Panther

Unfortunately that's FA legislation. DHFC don't have an option to say "it's your ground, we'll let you have it for Saturday". I believe Tooting FA Cup &Trophy games still take precedence over National League matches.

You'll probably end up with a couple of matches that have to be played on a Friday or Sunday.

28. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Have to say I'd be pretty annoyed if I were a a Tooting fan and had games shunted to Sundays.

pompeydunc likes this.
  29. Pink Panther

I was annoyed when our games were shunted to Sundays, but that was the FA's doing not Fisher's.

30. 59robbery

59robbery Member

The annoyance will be with the Conference and Bostik/Evo Stik Leagues (wherever we end up). Surely not beyond the wit of man to organise home fixtures on alternate Saturdays. I know - naive.

Nivag and EDC like this.