1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tooting drama

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Sirena, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

I don't know what the exact story is but it will come apparent, presumably, in the next couple of days...

2. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

I hope they find somewhere bearable to live soon, they've been waiting a long time now.

3. Sirena

4. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

It's good to see how many offers of help they've had, although it's all the more puzzling why they've refused everything, even from their own people.

5. Sirena

I think everyone says the woman is obstinate, obdurate and stubborn to the point of unreason. I don't care now.....

6. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

So, no interrogation of why she's supposedly the above, just the withdrawal of your sympathy on the basis that she is those things. :facepalm:
    One of the key issues that people who live rough develop is their difficulty in living within the confines of housing. Add to this the possibility that it was trauma within housing that originally drove her onto the street, and your "I don't care" seems rather glib.

muscovyduck likes this.
  7. Sirena

if you read the early part of the thread, everyone has tried to talk to her: her family, senior members of the Somali community, charities, the Council (on various occasions). She's been in hospital over the Winter. The Council have offered her two flats. Nothing has had any effect.

What do you want me to do?

Greebo likes this.
  8. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

As of a short while ago, she is still there. Fwiw, ( as already mentioned ) i am not sure there is anything anyone can do

Sirena and Greebo like this.
  9. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

A year on and they are still camped outside Tooting Library in Mitcham Rd :(

10. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Well-Known Member

Still there the other day.

11. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

:facepalm:
    As been said previously, they have been offered lots of help.

12. Sirena

Yes I passed by the other day too.

There was a time when her son was not with her and I thought he might have been given accommodation by someone while she decided to continue her vigil.

But I think he was sitting with her when I went passed yesterday.

13. Sirena

It looks like more than 3 years and they're still there...

But here's the next Tooting drama....

Despite popular objections, the council is to chainsaw down a whole avenue of 50 mature Chestnut trees. A whole fucking avenue!:mad::mad::mad:

The trees were originally planted 150 years ago (replacing an avenue that had originally been planted to mark Queen Elizabth i's coronation). Some of the trees have a canker and this has persuaded the Council (who have a grant to improve the Common) to cut down the lot

Put a price on urban trees – and halt this chainsaw massacre | Patrick Barkham

14. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

To think, Wandsworth prides itself on it's green open spaces, trees etc. :facepalm:

15. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Well-Known Member

16. Sirena

What with the threatened Chestnut Avenue on Tooting Common and Sadiq Khan's intervention
    [​IMG]

and the Somali family on the bench and Tooting being voted one of the 10 coolest places in the world, well......:confused::eek: It's all a bit random but I can live with the glory. :p:thumbs:

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  17. extra dry

extra dry Happy to be here

I would suggest leaving them be. A cold winter would push anyone indoors given a chance.

18. Sirena

I don't think there's any other options or, rather, they won't accept them.

But they've already done two winters....

19. extra dry

extra dry Happy to be here

Find out what happened to their old house, who lives there now, maybe hash out a crowed funded solution/deal

20. Sirena

I think they've been offered three flats but refused all of them. And it's not probably right to disturb the present tenants.

The reason she lost the house, so far as I know, was because of non-payment of rent. Now, that might have been because she was in hospital for a time or because of some mental problems or it may have been just skanking. I don't know.

21. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I understand there is a lot of security on the common this morning with a view to making a start on felling the trees later today :mad:

22. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

23. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member