1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tooting drama

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Sirena, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

girasol likes this.
  2. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Jeez, I've seen them, didn't realise they'd been living there for 9 months!

Pickman's model likes this.
  3. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

:(

ska invita likes this.
  4. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

What a sad story. Is it really as the article says? What kind of help were they offered?

5. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Terrible. :(

6. Sirena

I don't know the full story but she had to go into hospital and, while she was there, the Council repossessed her home for non-payment of rent. I think the house has been re-let now. So she took all her belongings and her son and just camped on the seat.

I think everyone in the world (Council, local Somali leaders, local charities etc) tried to speak to them but the woman would only agree to going back to her council house. It ended up being a real stalemate....

7. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

8. hash tag

hash tag sickness. now light

God, how dreadfull, i didnt know that either.
    There have been threads about making benches unsuitable for rough sleepers, but taking them out altogether! Wow. In partial defence of WBC, i see it was TFL who took the bench away.
    There is a largish and active somali community in wandsworth, i wonder if they have been invited to help or mediate?

Just read full story and sad to note that LAS were caught in the middle of it. Bet that pleased them no end. Not.

9. hash tag

Can st g's discharge her without a home to go to, does anyone know? Having got into the warmth of st g' s, will they even be able to get her out?

muscovyduck likes this.
  10. Sirena

I wonder about her son too. There's been some talk of mental problems - I don't know if it was the son or the mother - and, certainly, their protest has been quite odd.

On the local chat forums - to their credit - the vast majority have been caring and of the "something should be done..." school but there have been cries of "trying to hold the Council to ransom".

11. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Not unusual.

I sent three crews to a well known homeless woman in Brixton over the weekend. she wouldn't go to hospital.

I guarantee you that the paramedics would rather have attended a hundred calls like this than a drunk 21yo coming out of an office party.

What a miserable situation for her and her son though :(

12. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

You write that as though now she's inside she won't want to leave, I worry that the opposite is true and whatever was keeping her from seeking help/resolution before will be a powerful draw for her to get out of hospital and she might find herself in a situation where they won't let her leave.

And if she needs to be discharged into the community care system she could be waiting a while.

13. Sirena

A curious Tooting parallel..... A year or so ago, there were the two 'umbrella ladies' - a mother and daughter - who lived on the street for years round Amen Corner. They set up camp in the cemetery, next to the church. And then the mother was found dead. I think there were mental health issues here too.

And I've just seen this sad story too

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-newborn-baby-alive-London-park-dug-fox.html

14. Nancy_Winks

Nancy_Winks Well-Known Member

So many sad stories :(

15. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

I can assure you that hospitals can, and do, discharge people to extremely uncertain home situations. Sending people back to hospital because it's unsafe to leave them at the destination address makes me extremely popular in hospitals across the region

muscovyduck and Sue like this.
  16. hash tag

Hmmm, interesting! I have often sent recent dischargees back to hospital following a rushed or inappropriate discharge, but I am sure it will be under different circumstances - Goodness, I hope we are not working for the same people!

17. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

my elderly neighbour was discharged from hospital last January despite not being able to walk at the time or toilet herself and without a realistic care package in place
    She did have two care visits a day and it was the morning carer who got her back in hospital where she died 10 days later. (thank goodness she was in a bad way) Why bother to discharge ? aside from needing the bed?

18. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Some of the comments below the Wandsworth Guardian article are staggering in their ignorance.........

Sirena likes this.
  19. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Someone on my local twitter was whinging about a local beggar this week, pretty tempted to send them this story just to make them think a bit

Greebo likes this.
  20. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

Yeah, they need the bed. When we do discharges now, the patients are often either taken to a discharge waiting area or left in a chair once they are booked ready to go. So even if we can't pick up for hours (and that may well be the case as pressure on beds - and therefore our workload - increases), they're not in bed on a ward, they're somewhere else.

I've sent people back under various circumstances. Sometimes I get a crew call in and basically say 'wtf, this person shouldn't have been discharged'. Sometimes there's no care package and the crew aren't happy to leave them - or they have to wait for carers to show, causing delays to every other patient in the system. Once a crew found the care home's lift couldn't take stretchers(!) and there was no way to get the patient into their room - the hospital were furious but what do they expect us to do, drive round with them in the truck all night?

By and large the system works OK because the hospitals, patient transport and care teams are committed, experienced and care about what they do. Pressure on the system (and fuck me are we seeing it right now) can cause things to go wrong. It's upsetting and stressful - for the patient especially but also for the professionals involved.

muscovyduck, Greebo and Sue like this.
  21. Sirena

I haven't been down there but someone has just said that she has returned and she is now sitting on a chair in the street.

The person offered her some food and blankets but she refused both....

It's really difficult to know what to do....

Rutita1 likes this.
  22. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

my sis and BIL work for Nhs so I know from them how committed staff are - my post wasn't a dig at people who work within the system but at the way funding and structures inform decisions that are harmful to patients. Which usually lands the problem back to people like yourself trying to figure out which poor options is the least worst option you have at the time
    you do a valliant job under very difficult circumstances - I hope the people you help appreciate that enough

Greebo likes this.
  23. hash tag

Statistics, statistics, statistics....they prove they nhs is meeting targets.

Greebo likes this.
  24. hash tag

I was chatting to a lovely colleague about her today. He sat down and chatted with her for a while and she accepted fresh food from him. He says she was nice but stubborn, but she doesnt deserve that and cant see a resolution.

Greebo likes this.
  25. Sirena

Someone has just tweeted that the son has been arrested. I don't know what for.

It seems the thing may be coming to a lumpy conclusion.....

26. hash tag

Well, there was definately someone sitting outside TK's this morning at about 04.00, could not tell if it was one or two people.
    Cant help thinking that she probably needs some serious intervention :(

27. Sirena

She has replaced the bench with a chair. Someone has also donated a sofa.

All she needs now is a coffee table and a standard lamp and the whole thing will become totally surreal....:)

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  28. hash tag

I would suggest if anyone is passing, she may need some good food and a chat :)
    Maybe she could go to the Battersea Park thing on Christmas day; they do have mini buses collecting from all over the borough.

29. Sirena

They're back! This time on a bench outside Tooting Library.:eek:

I heard from somewhere that she had been offered a one-bedroom council flat but, presumably, she doesn't want that....

30. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back?

If facing the same amount of paperwork to get housing benefit and council tax benefit, combined with the stress of stupidly long delays in processing the claims (it can often take months), I can understand why sleeping rough might seem easier to handle. And yes, expecting that woman and her son to live together in a 1 bedroom flat longterm is IMHO indecent. :(

muscovyduck likes this.