Tonypandy

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by TopCat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

Just found out my dad and grandmother came from Tonypandy. Pit village famous for miners having it with the police.
    Anyone know anything more? Going to have a look in the summer.

Pickman's model and tim like this.
  2. eoin_k

eoin_k Lawyer's fees, beetroot and music

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

From an urban thread

I played there quite a few times. Rough old town but I liked it.

TopCat and ddraig like this.
  4. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Fairly famous strike in 1910 at the Naval Colliery , ended up with some of the management of the colliery trapped in the pit head building , the local Police Chief asked for reinforcements (which Winston Churchill , Home Secretary approved) , so down came the Met and some from the Bristol area.

There followed some fairly serious rioting and looting of shops - till order was restored. Churchills name was dirt for evermore in South Wales , he was booed a late as the 1950's if he ever crossed into Wales.

There was a large current of strikes , unrest etc in supposedly peaceful Edwardian Wales , (some of the looting was shamefully against Jewish shopkeepers) , culminating in the military called into a dispute at Llanelli in 1911 where some (innocents) were actually shot.

Anyway - a town now rather greener , the collieries are long gone. Nice ride down on the train (but then you would expect me to say that)

ddraig, editor and TopCat like this.
  5. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

A long tradition of "difficult" audience reaction in South Walian entertainment venue - the very young Stones played in the Civic Hall Ammanford in the 1960's , a place with a fearsome reputation ...they left early.

ddraig likes this.
  6. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Haven't been there for years. I only know it as a friend used to live there and we'd do a fair bit of guerilla gardening in the forestry lands by there. Also very good for mushrooms in season

Pickman's model likes this.
  7. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I worked not so far away from Tonypandy for some years, in the summer months, after work, I used to ride my motorbike into the valleys where there are plenty of great twisty biking roads.

Pickman's model likes this.