Tonbridge Angels vs Dulwich Hamlet (Sat 3/8/19)

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Dulwich Mishi, Jul 29, 2019.

1. pinknblue

pinknblue Active Member

I thought Ijaha and Barnes were both excellent today especially Ijaha. His physicality and determination make a huge difference for us in the middle of the park. Connors was also superb for the first hour but got beaten a number of times by Tonbridge's right winger after they went down to 10 men.
    Tonbridge offered very little as an attacking force until they went down to ten men but we were really hanging on there at the end and Folkestone could have easily nicked a point. Having completely controlled the first hour it was concerning that we could hardly put two passes together for the last 30 minutes. Curious that both sides played better after they'd had a man sent off!
    Lots of positives from today and I agree that we look a much more robust, solid side than last year. We do need to watch the over robust tackles though and having seen Connors against Chester and again today I have a slight concern about his temperament.
    Mills was decent up front but he really had no-one playing off him for almost the entire match. I lost count of the number of times he went for and often won the ball in the air only to find no Dulwich player within 15 yards. He really needs a front partner or someone like Connor Hunte who's willing to run beyond him when he's going up for those knock-ons and someone close enough to pick up the knock-downs. We're really missing a creative midfielder at the moment but when Hunte and Chapman (also Vose) are back that problem should disappear.
    It's bonkers that we have 8-9 players, nearly half the squad, injured or suspended after 1 league match! I hope some of these are fit again soon!
    Roll on Tuesday!

RabbleLevi likes this.
  2. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Well-Known Member

I reckon he’ll also get 3/4 straight reds...was better than the Ref at times...

As soon as Yussuf came on for Nyren, Mills moves to the right to make way for Yussuf down the middle. Maybe Gavin has given up on his project of turning Yussuf into a winger. Mills is definitely not a winger.

Mills is plan A. Hit those balls between the opposition midfield and their defenders and cause absolute havoc, especially at the beginning of each half when there is a battle for control/ possession. Plan A is incredibly effective.

Ade Yussuf is probably Plan B. Plan B needs a lot of work but could be crucial in the final stages of games against tired legs. He is quick and clinical in front of goal. He needs proper service, balls over the top he can run on to. He didn’t get that today , which surprised me as Tonbridge played a really high defensive line as they tried to get an equaliser. I have a lot of time for Plan B.

Cat Daisy likes this.
  3. pinknblue

pinknblue Active Member

I'd quite like to see Mills and Yussuf play up front together in a 4-4-2. Neither of them are wingers and I don't see any value in trying to pigeon-hole either of them into that role.

4. JoeBoy1959

JoeBoy1959 Member

That referee might as well have been standing in the Mariana Trench he was so far out of his depth.
    When Connors went down in the box, he gave the foul the other way. Now if he thought Connors dived, why not a yellow card?
    And at least twice Danny Mills had his shirt pulled with the ref looking right at him.
    To be honest, I was shocked when he gave us the penalty and sent their keeper off.

5. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Oh no... how WILL I COPE?⚽️❤️

passenger likes this.
  6. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain that was the same referee we had at Welling on the opening day of last season. Daniel Lamport?

7. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

He looks like a young Clattenberg. And is just as useless.

Jimbob73 likes this.
  8. Pink Panther

Hopefully he'll relocate to Saudi Arabia shortly.

WillClunas likes this.
  9. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

* Man of the year

Pthorne likes this.
  10. Dulwich Mishi

Eh? If it’s a First Team award it will be player of the year.

Pink Panther likes this.
  11. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Sorry?

Jamie Wyatt likes this.
  12. pettyboy

It was a gag from yesterday

13. Dulwich Mishi

Oh... ha,ha, ha, ha, ha! Stop it. My fucking sides are splitting... hang on, think I missed that

14. pettyboy

Yeah you did, so don't stick your oar in.

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  15. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Ah.

16. Dulwich Mishi

I’m not sticking my oar in, I’m responding to a post on a public forum. That’s how it works.

17. editor

editor hiraethified

18. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Thinks Gavin Rose is great

On the Maidstone United forum some supporters are calling for Steve McKimm. #Really

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  19. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Unbelievable!

StephenMac likes this.
  20. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Highlights

editor likes this.
  21. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Well-Known Member

Looked minimal from Taylor. Both were shirt pulling. Looks like Taylor only grab the attackers shirt after he got in front of him, which was silly, but considering it was outside the box and not a clear goal scoring opportunity, never a red card.

22. Dulwich Mishi

Well he thought it was himself, and had no complaints.

Cyclodunc likes this.
  23. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Thought it was a red.

24. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Who’s smudge?

25. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Smith?

26. Pink Panther

If it wasn't a clear scoring chance why foul the man there? There's no attempt to win the ball, he clearly pulled him back by the shirt, so he made it easy for the referee not to give him the benefit of the doubt.

The foul for their keeper's red card was obscured by that bloody pillar so no comment there. Their penalty looked a bit soft to me, just a tussle for a high ball.

Cyclodunc likes this.
  27. all to nah

all to nah Well-Known Member

You can watch it here from the other side of the pitch at minute 15:00.

Pink Panther and Nivag like this.
  28. GregDHFC

GregDHFC Well-Known Member

This was right in front of us. I'm obviously biased, but the keeper dropped the ball when he should have caught it and realised the player was going to take it round him so grabbed him with both arms to stop him. Easy red card decision. It was one of those situations where either he wasn't thinking or he decided it was worth the trade-off.

Pink Panther and editor like this.
  29. editor

editor hiraethified

You could tell by their goalie's reaction they he knew he'd fucked up.

GregDHFC likes this.
  30. Pink Panther

Yes, I've since watched it from the reverse angle on the Tonbridge tv footage. You could argue there were defenders goalside of the ball but, as with our red card, why commit a deliberate foul unless you think there's an immediate threat of a goal? So red card. And (looking at Max's photo from the Buzz report) conducting an intimate examination of an opponent should probably be a mandatory red card offence in any area of the field!

[​IMG]