Tonbridge Angels vs Dulwich Hamlet (Sat 3/8/19)

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Dulwich Mishi, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

And finally the first National League South fixture comes around.
    A relatively easy one to get to by train but a bit of a yomp from the station, though there are buses from the main High Street that stop near the ground. If you’re walking you can cut off a little bit of time but cutting through the cemetery when you reach it. I’m sure Pink Panther will let us know about any possible engineering works, as well as favoured watering holes, the Wetherspoons in the High Street is always popular with Hamlet fans.
    If you like a bit of culture then there’s Tonbridge Castle, which you can’t miss, as you stroll down the High Street, shamefully I’ve never actually visited it, and won’t be able to on Saturday due to a bit of a shortage of funds thanks to payroll at work not being up to scratch.
    As you go past the river & castle there’s an excellent second hand bookshop on the left hand side as you walk up. If you like a bargain there’s several charity shops to have a nose in too. If the weather’s good, which it’s predicted to be ok, then Tonbridge is actually a pleasant enough town to potter about in.
    The ground itself is decent, take care with alcohol as they do bag searches. Admission is £13, concessions £9.13 to 17 year olds are £5 & accompanied juniors £4. I know in previous years they’ve charged extra to sit in the stand, but I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere. Last season it was a pound extra for a seat. Covered at both ends with good acoustics for the singers, there’s a club house bar & I believe an outside beer tent too.
    To be honest I can’t recall my first visit here, although I’ve been here several times down the years, the last one was their play-off final victory over Merstham at the end of last season, where they coped well with a decent four figure gate.
    The first time I saw us play them was at an FA Trophy tie at their old town centre ground off off the High Street where the Sainsbury’s is now, that was in 1978/79 & Ossie Bayram starred in a 3-2 win, not sure if he got two or a hat trick from memory.
    I do remember going to their new ground for a pre-season match one year in very hot weather & actually swallowing a fly that flew into my mouth on the way to the ground!
    The locals are generally nice people even if some of their politics might be as blue as their kit! Though there was a decidedly different atmosphere back in the Eighties when I was here for a Millwall pre-season game & there was a turn out of the local Chelsea hooligans, but that wasn’t anything to do with Tonbridge really.
    It will be interesting how we do, as we’re obviously carrying a lot of injuries, it will be a bit of a test of how in depth our new squad is. I think it will be a tough baptism for the Angels, with those of our players out injured being a bit of a leveller. Personally I think Tonbridge will do well to stay up & will be fortunate it’s only two down this season rather than four, so could just scrape it...

StephenMac and B.I.G like this.
  2. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I don't have time to post full details just now, but there are alterations to the scheduled train services that normally run from London Bridge to Tonbridge, fast to Orpington. These are rerouted to run into and out of Victoria. The slower route from London Bridge via East Croydon, changing at Redhill for the branch line to Tonbridge, is still running.

Anyone beginning their journey from Elephant & Castle / Denmark Hill / Peckham Rye should take the Thameslink line to Sevenoaks and change there for Tonbridge.

Anyone using stations on the Brixton-Beckenham Junction line should go to Orpington and change there for Tonbridge.

Best to run a specific search for your journey on National Rail Enquiries Journey Planner:

Your UK Train Journey Planner - National Rail Enquiries

B.I.G and Dulwich Mishi like this.
  3. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

You can't take your drinks out of the bar. Or eat a sandwich in the cemetery, according to a mad woman I encountered a few seasons back.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  4. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Only preseason but they lost at home to Kingstonian on Saturday in a full dress rehearsal.

5. Scottfield

Scottfield Member

It's a truly joyless experience at times. DSC_0167.JPG

AverageJoe likes this.
  6. Cat Daisy

Cat Daisy Member

The Beer Seller and Fuggles Beer Cafe look interesting - one either side of the river along the High Street. They are on the route from the station to the ground (as are plenty of other pubs by the looks of it).

7. Dulwich Mishi

Ah marvellous... beardy weirdly real ale craft beer new- veau’s in there, normal Old Skool Hamlet fans in the Wetherspoons!

Cat Daisy likes this.
  8. Scottfield

Scottfield Member

Mishi, genuine question, why "new-veau" which is a bit of an odd anglo-french concoction?

9. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Weatherspoons for me.

YTC likes this.
  10. Pink Panther

He probably just can't spell "nouveau"!

tonysingh likes this.
  11. Scottfield

Scottfield Member

It's an interesting one, because it sort of means new veal... which, when you think about it, is a bit pleonastic...

supersafari likes this.
  12. EKC

EKC New Member

I was sponsor for the game shown in the picture :)
    We do now allow drinks bought in the club bar onto the terraces in plastic glasses, but as is common at most clubs, no alcohol is allowed to be brought into the ground with you. Safe journey and see you Saturday.

13. Pink Panther

Did you encounter this mad woman at the football ground, or during a pre-match picnic in the cemetery?

14. MrFouldsy

MrFouldsy Active Member

Thanks for letting us know. This is welcome news! Good luck for the season ahead. It's a bit of a steep learning curve.

YTC and StephenMac like this.
  15. MrFouldsy

MrFouldsy Active Member

As someone who intersects having a beard,a taste for both craft beer and a Spoons carpet I find this very distasteful. Why be so devisive, Mishi?

Also, there's nothing normal about a Hamlet fan (whether or not they are French) and I for one am very happy that is the case.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    pompeydunc, takkforalt and WillClunas like this.
  16. Dulwich Mishi

It's called humour...get over it. To be frank, if you genuinely find this 'very distatestful' I pity you, you sensitve soul! Good grief!

17. Dulwich Mishi

It's a made up play on words, based on the neuveau ones being 'new' fans. Nothing more, nothing less. English Language was my only 'O' Level, so I'm not the most educated....

Scottfield likes this.
  18. MrFouldsy

MrFouldsy Active Member

Thank you for understanding, Mishi. I will take that as a very gracious apology.

19. Dulwich Mishi

I can’t really apologise , even if there was something to apologise for, to someone who I don’t know who I’m talking to...

20. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I’m never civil to anyone unless I know them intimately.

21. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Thinks Gavin Rose is great

I can't make the first game because I am at a music festival at the weekend. Perhaps Mr BIG will send me a text update 'every time the Hamlet score'.
    There will be lots of beards and craft cider at the New Day Festival. Which is excellent, its just people trying to advertise their politics at football that I don't need :)

22. Son of Roy

You are not as cuddly as you used to be.

B.I.G likes this.
  23. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

Not being funny mate, I just looked at the line up and I'd rather be at Tonbridge

Son of Roy likes this.
  24. Dulwich Mishi

Speak for yourself...
    As for my goodself I prefer to offer my honest opinions, & part of being civil should be not hiding behind made up names, but each to their own.

25. Son of Roy

Matt I am older than you! Its not Glastonbury granted. But have you not heard of Jethro Tull, Mungo Jerry, The Sweet, Deep Purple & Wilko Johnson? Maaan.

Back on topic; 3 points from Tonbridge please. You all know how Mr. McKimm tries extra hard against us!

26. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

My idea of being civil is that everyone should be identifiable at all times, and should have to display identification on request. Makes sense.

#Blair’sBritain

27. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

No apostrophes in hashtags, buddy boy.

WillClunas and B.I.G like this.
  28. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Never? :(

29. Dulwich Mishi

#schoolboyerror

30. tonysingh

tonysingh Random Clever and Witty Strapline

#youcanstickyourhashtagupyourarse

Dulwich Mishi likes this.