1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today, I went deep inside the Camberwell Submarine!

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Apr 13, 2007.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I was well chuffed to be invited in for a look.

2. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

That's what they WANT you to think. It's actually a nuclear bunker for Lambeth Council / secret underground tube line extension / mind control experiment etc.

They've applied for planning permission to extend the chimneys by four meters (this is actually true.)

3. Brixton Hatter

Not really. It's a great bit of Brixton IMO. 10 mins walk to the high street but really green and quiet. Myatts Field park round the corner. The Minet Library at the end of the road. Jamm a 2 mins stagger away. I love it here.

4. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

it just doesn't 'feel' like brixton to me. it's feels odd, probably onlu cos i rarely set foot in that part. is it even brixton? isn't it camberwell? or is it neither? that's why i find it odd. the street arrangements are odd too. easy to get lost - lots of streets that go nowhere.

5. wtfftw

wtfftw Well-Known Member

*likes* aww. I miss it.

6. wtfftw

wtfftw Well-Known Member

I knew it would be that thing without opening the thread. :D

I wanted to convert it into cartoon underground HQ / home for me and my friends when I was little. :cool:

7. Brixton Hatter

I know what you mean. I thought it was a bit of a strange, out-of-the-way area before I moved here (I used to cycle through on the backstreet cycle route.) But now I know it's Brixton's hidden gem ;)

Where I live is SW9 and it's definitely Brixton because Brixton is closer than Stockwell, Kennington, Oval or Camberwell. But SE5 starts at the end of my street.

8. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baŠĻČned: All

I agree with you both.

The triangle of Brixton Road, Coldharbour Lane and Camberwell New Road does lose definition in the middle though. Cambrixtoval?

9. miss minnie

miss minnie Well-Known Member

Went on a tour of 'North Brixton' held by the Brixton Society last summer and the route was Brixton Road, Loughborough Road, Ackerman Road past the submarine, Patmos Road, Vassal Road and back down to the Oval (where we had started).

10. Brixton Hatter

yeah, there's quite a few estates and small areas of new housing around here. I believe the area was bombed heavily in WW2 and there was also extensive slum clearance in the 60s, which has resulted in strange road layouts etc. The area is gonna change massively again over the next few years now that the council has decided to rebuild Myatts North estate on top of Mostyn Gardens.

11. Brixton Hatter

'North Brixton' - I quite like that. Mind you, it's an estate agent's dream round here: we could be 'Brixton', 'North Brixton', 'South Kennington', 'Camberwell Borders', 'Loughborough Junction' 'Vassal ward' whatever you want really!

Today I'm gonna call it 'Brixton Park Gardens' just for the crack.

12. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

+1 :mad:

13. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Aww. I want a teletubbyland bunker.

14. miss minnie

Tomorrow call it Kennington Park South :)

15. Brixton Hatter

funnily enough, just across the road from the submarine is Mostyn Gardens, where there actually ARE teletubbyland-style grassy mounds etc. Strange landscaping!

16. wtfftw

wtfftw Well-Known Member

yup. Used to meet my best mate at the top of a hill. It was midway between us. :cool: /nostalgia

17. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Nope - Because of their "Nuclear Free" aspirations in the 80s, Lambeth never established a bunker of their own. Before that, Lambeth was just grouped-in with the rest of South London for overall civil defence.

This place is the nearest Lambeth ever came to having one:
    http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/p/pear_tree_house/index.html

:)

18. zenie

zenie >^^<

Angell Town I've always known it as :confused: :D

And yet you want it to be a bridge too far, or some kind of bunker

19. Brixton Hatter

I always thought Angell Town was just the estate...the one they rebuilt? (Not that it really matters!)

20. miss minnie

Haven't had an A-Z for years but I was surprised to see in mine that "Angell Town" was stamped across the general area, not in reference to a particular estate. The online maps don't seem to know about it though.

21. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

how is angell town pronounced? like angel or ANG-ELL?

22. miss minnie

Only ever heard it pronounced 'Angel' myself.

23. miss minnie

Here you go, can just about make out 'Angell Town' on this old map:

[​IMG]

'Angell' is just off the left border of the map, 'Town' is on the left of the map.

24. miss minnie

And Hidden London has a (brief) page about Angell Town

25. Brixton Hatter

thanks minnie, interesting stuff.
    he he :D:D

26. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Minnie's map is part of the nineteenth century Booth's poverty maps I think. The red bits indicate well off middle class people so the whole area was quite upmarket at that time.

27. miss minnie

It is indeed Booth's poverty map:

28. wemakeyousoundb

wemakeyousoundb and calm again

My favourite night time tripping detour

29. Brixton Hatter

:eek:

30. zenie

zenie >^^<

Just what people from that area called it to me, think there is 'Angell Ward' for voting too isn't there?

People forget Brixton and Stockwell used to be quite rich til comparatively recently. :(