1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today, I went deep inside the Camberwell Submarine!

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Apr 13, 2007.

1. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

It's in the name stupid. :p It's actually a giant Faraday Cage.

For contingency planning against a high-altitude nuclear blast that would have acted as an E-bomb - generating a poweful electomagnetic pulse that would cripple all electronic systems - a "B" team of "top people" would have been inside the Memorial, along with a back-up generator and communications kit that wasn't attached to any external cabling.

tufty79 likes this.
  2. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Looking at the scale of the kit down below, I presume now the surface vents must be on hinges or otherwise open out so replacement boilers, etc. can be lowered on cranes?

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I didn't see any hinge like openings there, but I guess there must be something.

4. guinnessdrinker

guinnessdrinker political refugee R.I.P.

so there must be a secret tunnel between the submarine and the cage, then...

5. interesting thread , its good when you find out what something really is when you've been dreaming up allsorts of things about it . I remember when i was a kid i use to go on bike rides with my dad over the hills , We would come across this concrete box with a metal tube coming out . I use to think it was a pillbox from the war ( I swear me dad told me it was ) i was up the same place a few years ago and my dream were shattered when i discovered it was a old farming thing for storing water :oops: .

6. You would replace the whole boiler , Imho youd only replace the bits which fail on a insurance mdt test . They last a good few years as well.

7. Structaural

Structaural in Chatsubo

Well I never - that's what it is! That's been a mystery to me for 20 odd years.

8. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

Excellent! I wonderd for years what that thing was...:)

9. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Wonderful - I cycle past that all the time and always wondered.

And now I have a pictorial clue as to what "gubbins" are too - although still don't know what they actually do - will have to google!

Nice report. :)

10. zoltan

zoltan Transnistria festishist

Wot ? so the E&C box is part of a civil defence network thats designed to look like a memorial ?

wots in the middle of the box ?

11. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Brilliant, always wondered what was down there, ta.

12. Gixxer1000

Gixxer1000 cant wheelie a shaftie :(

"A recent Lambeth Planning statement proposed removing one side of the dual carriageway and removing the "submarine vent shaft.""
    :(

13. lights.out.london

lights.out.london Black Flag

14. Loupylou

Loupylou Well-Known Member

It's not - it's called the 'Concrete Submarine' (i live right near it) & the area is Brixton.
    Other than that small gripe, I;ve always wanted to know what it looks like so thanks for being so intrepid........

in BRIXTON !

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's what the bloke who was working there told me it was called. It's also called that in The Smoke magazine.

16. loud 1

loud 1 dsm-4

it looks like a futuristic battle truck from an 80's sci-fi film!

cool tho init!

17. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

nice one Ed, by using your wits and getting inside to take photos you have provided a valuable service to so many people! I live about a minute away from the submarine and always assumed it was some sort of air vent for the tube - thought the Kennington tube sidings were underneath or something. I emailed the link to your page to a few mates and it's totally made their day.

I am really jealous. :mad:

;)

18. J77

J77 residing

What are the boilers for?

19. guinnessdrinker

guinnessdrinker political refugee R.I.P.

the editor's link at post 9 says it is to heat the local estates.

20. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

The Camberwell Submarine is now a musical instrument :cool:

http://www.touchradio.org.uk/touch_radio_36.html

21. HackneyE9

HackneyE9 Well-Known Member

Fascinating.

Although I think for completeness' sake you should have included a snap or two of the luck estates that get their cockles warmed by said submarine!

22. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

i spotted it earlier today in that weird zone that's neither brixton nor camberwell.
    looks like part of the set from fritz lang's metropolis:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    what is it?

23. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

24. Orang Utan

aaah! ta, so it's basically the roof of a subterranean municipal boiler room. i'm disappointed for some reason. :D

25. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

It looks amazing doesn't it? :)

26. Orang Utan

it does, i was wanting it to be aphex twin's gaff or summat though

27. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

It's like a hard edged submarine

28. Orang Utan

it's dead odd round there, weird bit of south london

29. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

No it isn't! Freak.

30. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

I used to go to school (well bunk off) round there and we used to call it the Submarine.