Today I have mostly been using ${insert development technology here}

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by fractionMan, Oct 14, 2014.

1. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

Spring. A colossal Java framework for building web applications. Specifically, Spring boot. I've come to the conclusion that 75% of job adverts expect spring, so I need to know spring, at least a little.

Any Spring developers here?

Surprisingly, my assumption that it was enterprise bloatware is only partly true. Spring boot looks pretty good, along the lines of the play framework or dropwizard. You can still write a metric fuckton of XML and factories that produce factory factories but it's no longer encouraged. The DI/IoC stuff is better now they've moved it to programatic configuration instead of XML - it's now like Google Guice.

They've taken the "get rid of the bloat" pretty seriously. You can fit a rest application in 140 character tweet, which is cute.

This post will be gibberish for 98% of urban, but I'm sure there's some developers still out there, right? My head hurts.

salem likes this.
  2. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

I've done some Spring, incorporated into a mish-mash of other web technologies.

It's powerful stuff but often incomprehensible. It takes away a load of really boring work, including most of the traditional architecture, but the fact that everything is instantiated and communicated over intangible voodoo means it's impossible to debug and the best you can do is go off on a Google search comprehension exercise looking for people that've already done that exact same thing.

fractionMan likes this.
  3. kwaimaisabai

kwaimaisabai Well-Known Member

Today, I have mostly been doing Python. Brought into play because an awk statement buried in a shell script was unreadable.

sorearm and fractionMan like this.
  4. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Today I have mostly been trying to integrate our software support with our new CRM (both cloud based) and our MySQL database. With limited success.

I'm currently reading a PDF specification to see if what I've been asked to do is possible. I suspect it might not be.

fractionMan likes this.
  5. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Today I've been using windows to show my colleague how to move the folder of her personal snaps that she randomly dropped on the shared drive to her own machine. I later showed her how to do the same with all her marking documents when they "disappeared"

fractionMan likes this.
  6. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

I got my head around dependency injection a few years ago, but that was with Guice (using @Inject and a bit of java) rather than Spring (using @Autowired and a ton of xml). It was a good way to go about it imo as it separates one aspect of spring out from the giant pile of other things it does.

Dependency injection is a Very Good Thing imo and simple once you get the concept.

7. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

VBA4Excel4Life :cool:

8. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

The concept is fine, but when you're trying to deal with complicated, sparsely documented frameworks (e.g. Spring Security) and work out why your specific incantation of annotations and C&P'd XML config doesn't seem to intercept the expected events in the right place, the reality is a little more grim.

fractionMan and Fez909 like this.
  9. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I find this is the problem with almost all frameworks I use. Without knowing what they're doing under the bonnet, you can't expect to be able to debug them or even sometimes get it to do what you want before things have gone wrong. And the time you'd spend understanding the inner workings completely negates any benefit you get from using the framework to begin with!*

*Unless you're gonna be using it day-in, day-out, of course. In which case, spend the time to learn how it works.

10. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

I've had the same with RESTlet. Generally it's a great framework but some of the more, er, esoteric bits are hard to figure out.

Coming from a SAML point of view, I can't imagine spring security would have made it any easier.

11. Lord Hugh

Lord Hugh Multiply and

Yesterday) Windows: batch, task manager, group policy, networking, to basically simulate a small subdomain network on domain network I can't administrate.
    Later today) C# to finish making/fixing a forms program to replace a set of paper forms.

12. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

After 8 months of Laravel and angular.js, I have a very different set of tech to work with now, physically based rendering using Unity 4 and a range of 3rd party shaders.

13. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

I think I'm going to use angular in my next project for the front end. Looks great.

14. de_dog

de_dog Mickey! Mickey from Leicester

jQuery Mobile for me; Porting to fully responsive from a rather clunky jQuery UI layout.
    Good chance to improve the JS and cut down on the bloat too.

Fez909 likes this.
  15. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

Today will mostly be Expression Engine (with a little bit of php to do the stuff it's native tags can't). Soon I need to start getting my head around Python/Django for another project though :hmm:

16. salem

salem Well-Known Member

getting a node.js system running in a semi-live environment. I didn't build it but I have been otherwise taking early steps into it. It's just a way of applying JS on the serverside rather then a language itself but it's an interesting environment.

17. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

Today I have mostly been coding on little bits of paper. With a pen.

I had an interesting interview where I had to come up with an algorithm to count the number of set bits in an integer, and code it on paper. I also had to devise a function that calculated all the factors of a given integer.

The first was bloody hard given I don't have a great understanding of bitwise operations, but I think I got the pseudo code right, even if I couldn't get the correct syntax. The second was easy, although it took a bit of thinking in order to make it in any way efficient.

18. fen_boy

fen_boy Exits gracefully.

My job today has mostly consisted of telling teams of developers, that no you can't use whatever shiny new $(insert development technology here) you've just decided to write your code in, because we won't support it in our build environment, and you didn't get architectural and legal approval and 10 other teams have solved it before in this less shiny, but perfectly serviceable, and properly approved and supported way. So I'm watching you lot.

rich! and Fez909 like this.
  19. salem

salem Well-Known Member

It does feel that there is a bit of an explosion in new languages/framework/approaches to coding at the moment.

20. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Selenium/Java today. Testing for a month :(

fractionMan likes this.
  21. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I think it's been going on for a while but there are a shitload in web dev certainly. I just go through with the assumption that if something is really great I'll learn it, and it won't be that hard to work out, but then I don't need to pad my cv any more - if I was younger it could be much more intimidating.

salem likes this.
  22. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I love its approach, although there are some downsides. And it was hard to get some junior team members, whose only experience of js involved jquery, to fully embrace the angular way of doing things.

Whether I'll use it again depends on the details of the project, it lends itself much more to certain finds of UI and functionality than others.

Meanwhile back in the game engine world that I have escaped to for now, I'm eyeing speedtree for Unity 5 with much interest.

23. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

.....Excel it's something I've rarely used before and it's making me go a bit :confused:

24. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

BizTalk. I am no stranger to Microsoft technologies but had and still do not have any desire to pick this one up. Shame about it really.

25. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

app inventor as i'm teaching app development at level 2 (equivalent to upper end of gcse) it's not terrible but keeps throwing me for a loop as i'm trying to write assignments for it that kinda expect you to be using VB

26. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

ssms, ssis, ssas and ssrs.

sorearm likes this.
  27. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

Javascript frameworks abound these days. That said, angluar has a ton of traction and is appears to be a really good way of separating out the presentation from the behaviour. I'm sure it'll end up a ballache just like everything else though.

28. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

One of the problems with something as complex as spring is that you might as well be looking under the bonnet of a delorian.

29. Lord Hugh

Lord Hugh Multiply and

I'm trying to learn F# as a way to actually do something with functional programming. Downloaded Haskell IDEs and a bunch of tutorials before but never did anything with them. Hoping to use it as another avenue for data analysis, a lot of my current code was going towards the functional formats so thought it'd be beneficial (plus good for cv!) to actually learn a functional language.

30. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

A lawn mower.
    A strimmer.
    A shovel.
    A rake.
    A broom.
    A trowl.

19sixtysix, Yuwipi Woman and 8ball like this.