Tish Murtha

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by RoyReed, Jul 10, 2018 at 5:30 PM.

1. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Nice exhibition of Tish Murtha's documentary photography from the late '70s and '80s at the Photographer's Gallery. (Free entry before 12.00 noon.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Interesting work she did and good that it is getting exposure, I would have liked to have been able to see the exhibition, I also like the simple clean framing of the prints.

crossthebreeze likes this.
  3. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

The Tish Murtha exhibition is excellent - proper old school documentary photography with empathy, the sort of thing that inspires me.

The Alex Prager that's on as well is very different in approach; heavily-staged, often comical, hyperreal stuff. Makes for an interesting comparison.

crossthebreeze, a_chap and editor like this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I popped in to the PG today and looked at some of her books but I'll check out the exhibition next week. Looks great.

5. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

She was clearly an expert in the darkroom.

This is amazing...

[​IMG]

crossthebreeze and Sweet FA like this.
  6. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

They were very worthwhile the photo projects she did, but I can't help wondering how she earned money in order to pay her bills? Does anyone have any ideas how it works?

7. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

She studied photography in Newport (on a grant and her first series was taken while she was herself on a job scheme at a gallery, who also commissioned her.

Tish Murtha - Wikipedia
    True Grit Exhibition Information

Nowadays getting hold of the kit to do this sort of thing is much cheaper - the exhibition has the receipt for her OM-1 camera, around £250, which was a shitload of money - and distribution can be done digitally, but I can't help thinking that she wouldn't have been able to go study photography at all nowadays, and there is no money for documentary photography projects. You need to be able to spend time not doing a "real job" and that is increasingly less possible when rents are so high.

crossthebreeze and weltweit like this.