Ticket Prices to Football Matches.

Discussion in 'football' started by tangerinedream, Aug 26, 2005.

?

What's a fair price for one adult ticket to a top flight game of association football

1. £1-£5

2.1%
  2. £5-£10

16.7%
  3. £10-£15

41.7%
  4. £15-£20

27.1%
  5. £20-£30

10.4%
  6. £30 + above

2.1%
  7. It's free on Hackney Marshes - why pay?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tangerinedream

tangerinedream Density of Sound

Do we not think applying the law of supply and demand is an insult to people who are priced out of games? Let's imagine a Chelsea fan who has followed them for 20 years, put up with all sorts of crap football and kept his money going into the club. If it was a car company or a normal business producing a crap product then that consumer would have withdrawn his money pretty sharpish - but, it being football he/she continues to support his club financially. (when many others don't)
    Finally his club start to achieve something and he/she can't actually afford to go and watch them again. The club is happy to apply the laws of supply and demand - despite the fact that as demonstrated by the fact the club still exist (due to people watching them when they offer a poor product) - the supporters aren't simply consumers in the normal sense.
    His/her reward for loyalty is to have his support thrown back into his face because football is fashionable and the club can sell his ticket to a home counties armchair fan whose probably related to David Mellor.

2. mk12

mk12 Well-Known Member

Not that I know of. Good idea though.

3. tangerinedream

Get David Mellor on the case :D 'the voice of the fans' :D

4. tangerinedream

I have a theory that activism in football is dying - not only are many people being priced out, but people seem to expect to be able to challenge the club through the media, or rather expect the media to do the work for them. The kind of fanzine culture we knew doesn't seem to exist now.
    I base this on not much evidence, beyond my own feeling and thoughts on my own side, where people seem more concerned with having a go at the local press rather than organising any sort of group or action.
    This was certainly different in the early/mid 90's when organised action on a number of different issues took place - several 'Oyston out' campaigns, a series of fund-raising events to buy a player and when we were doing well, stuff like distributing balloons and ticker tape to the fans.
    It just doesn't seem to happen now - either the positive or negative campaigning.

I know York City/Afc Wimbledon etc kind of defeat my theory but it's just something I thought I'd mention to see if anyone else felt this way. Is it me or have the number of protests and events dwindled?

5. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

hash tag, Voley and ska invita like this.
  6. HELVETICVS

HELVETICVS ILLE QVI PVLSAT SVM

Stuck at thirty - sadly, dirty.

7. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!