1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thurrock FC resign from League

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by pitchfork, Apr 3, 2018.

1. pitchfork

pitchfork Well-Known Member

2. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Shame.

3. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

what a loss
    sorry for their loyal fans,officials
    another club gone
    another small chip in undermining non-league football

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's really sad.

5. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

6. The Octagon

The Octagon Stop......Hammertime

That statement doesn't really say why they're resigning, just that the owner is ill, seems odd to just fold over that.

Anyone with more info?

7. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

Primarily not enough people involved to run the club going forward.

8. The Octagon

The Octagon Stop......Hammertime

Ah, fair enough. Shame.

9. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the ground is in the middle of nowhere, they've always struggled to pull crowds, and there are four other Senior clubs in the same borough all of whom have been established for longer: Aveley, East Thurrock United, Grays Athletic, Tilbury.

10. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

Does this potentially reprieve whoever is relegated this season?

11. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

No. The bottom team will definitely be relegated.

12. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Elephants think I’m cute #brap

At least East Thurrock can now more meaningfully claim to be United #instantrimshot.com

13. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

There is / was a recent court case going on about their ownership which may or may not have ramifications for ETU. Planning zone changes means their ground is now worth a reputed £10m if media reporting is correct.

14. Pink Panther

Whose ground? ETU or Thurrock? I thought ETU had plans to relocate anyway. I believe they're associated with an extensive network of schools and junior teams in the vicinity of Corrringham and Stanford-le-Hope, with first team manager John Coventry also involved at that level.

15. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

East Thurrock United.

16. Roger D

17. Pink Panther

How can that ground be worth £10m? Is it on an oilfield?

EDC likes this.
  18. Roger D

The Thames Gateway development is just down the road. Serious money is going into developing that. Lots of mega container ships arriving needs all the supporting infrastructure and no doubt a few distribution depots etc. will appear in the area too.
    Either the club or their owners have hit lucky, the future will tell us which way round it is.

19. steeplejack

steeplejack Reluctant Hardliner

Yep Thurrock were never going to survive the loss of Tommy South, the chairman who was the club for so many years.

The guy has been seriously ill and although he's now recovered wants to spend time on other things. No one has stepped up to take the club forward.

I watched them a bit and it's sad, they were a good small club with a really friendly atmosphere. Manager Mark Stimson did a great job there- a club of small resources playing at least one level above where their fan base and size suggested they should be in their final season. I am sure he will move on to another job at Bostik League Premier / One North level next season. Think a fair few ex-Thurrock players will follow, too.

Sad I only just heard about this and won't be able to make their last games.

:(

PartisanDulwich and Pink Panther like this.
  20. Pink Panther

They gave us two hard fought contests this season and were a good side to watch. The fact that they're still competing hard on the field at this stage of the season reflects well on the manager and his squad. There are a lot of decent players and a very good manager there who will doubtless benefit various other clubs next season and beyond.

21. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

I was very impressed on Saturday at the motivation of Thurrock players in what must be very difficult times, just a few games from being out of contract
    and their fans made a good lot of noise

ill afford to lose any club, especially the likes of Thurrock - hope something is done to mark their passing and keep the memory going for future generations

Dulwich Mishi, Pink Panther and EDC like this.
  22. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

While it's undoubtedly sad, the club has barely existed for two generations.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  23. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

I gathered from liamdhfc that we allowed their fans in for free on Saturday given it was one of the last games their club will be playing. A very nice gesture and another example of why so many of us are proud to be associated with this club.

24. gnar182

gnar182 New Member

Agreed, their players did the club proud, gave it their all to the end on Saturday.

dcdulwich likes this.
  25. YTC

YTC Human Man

Correct. Great idea from liamdhfc and the fans I spoke to were very grateful.

26. steeplejack

steeplejack Reluctant Hardliner

27. billbond

billbond Well-Known Member

Well done the club & liamdhfc as you say
    Showing some class, unlike some organisations (cough)