Three Girls

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by sojourner, May 17, 2017.

1. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

Did anyone see the first episode on BBC1 last night?

With Maxine Peake and Lesley Sharp in it I knew the acting would be fine, but worried a bit whether the writing would let down such an important story. Well, no need to worry. It was a cracking start. The writing was excellent, and they didn't shy away from some of the more brutal detail. Exactly right. Drama, like other art forms, is incredibly important for highlighting crashing injustices such as this. Anyone else watch it?

kittyP and trashpony like this.
  2. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

Yes. Harrowing viewing :( Well written and acted.

Maxine Peake particularly good, as usual.

sojourner likes this.
  3. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Baroudeur...

I am going to attempt to watch all the programmes in a block and I can imagine this is going to be heart rending. As you say Maxine Peake and Lesley Sharp are perhaps two of the finest actors in the land.
    A story that needs telling as it is, shocking and brutal portrayals may just save others from suffering this terrible fate.

sojourner likes this.
  4. trashpony

trashpony Ovaries and tings

You might find that like being emotionally clubbed over the head - it's pretty harrowing viewing.

It was brilliant though - the acting across the board was superb and it's really well written. What's really awful is that it's still going on all over the UK

5. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Baroudeur...

I will bear that in mind. We have got into the habit of watching full series in a block, but heavy themes such as this may, as you say be too much.
    Thanks to you for highlighting this possibility.

6. sojourner

Indeed, trashy. But TV drama has the power to reach out to many more people than, say, a book, or a poem. Someone somewhere who is going through the same thing could well see this, and find the strength to stop it/report it. It's also hugely important for the girls/women's voices to be heard loud and clear and I think that has been done really well with this.

7. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Do you mean a story that needs televising for the gory entertainment of the masses?
    Because I'm pretty sure it's been told in newsprint already. Heck it even has a fairly detailed Wiki page.

I never understand the rubberneckers who watch stuff like this or read those horrific I was abused type books.

8. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

what's the story? DV?

9. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Some people might not read newspapers and might prefer television.

spanglechick and sojourner like this.
  10. Gromit

News at Ten then.

11. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

:facepalm:

12. sojourner

Fucking hell. How to miss the point big time.

Read the fucking posts on this thread dickhead.

13. sojourner

The Rochdale grooming case, OU.

14. Orang Utan

Ah right you are.
    Gromit full of shit, then.

sojourner likes this.
  15. Gromit

I did. You appear to believe that airing an entertainment drama will somehow make a difference. Other than winning a few Baftas and lining the pockets of show business people I fail to see how it makes a difference.

Perhaps if a few parents force their kids to watch it to scare them they'd be forewarned and forearmed and it would save 1 or 2 kids.

An experience I'd rather not subject kids to given the actual likelihood of them ever coming into contact with scum like this. Rather kids see the possibilities than live in fear of everything.

16. trashpony

Clair De Lune, sojourner and Celyn like this.
  17. moomoo

moomoo Not so yummy mummy

I missed it. Is it repeated?

18. sojourner

Yes I do, because I experienced it for myself.

When I was in the middle of a violent relationship and had told no one, I read a novel where the same thing was happening. It gave me the strength to walk away. It wasn't just me that this happened to.

A drama on the television has a bigger reach. An uneducated and poor child is much less likely to read a paper or watch the news, but they may well watch something like this*. Plus, as I said, it gives the affected women a voice.

*edit to add: and it's those children that are much more likely to be affected in this way, and to be invisible to the authorities in terms of their status in society.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  19. sojourner

It'll be on iplayer moo

20. sojourner

For a change, yeh.

kittyP likes this.
  21. moomoo

Great. Thanks.

Ftr, Gromit, I'll be watching it in a professional capacity. If that's alright with you?

22. sojourner

23. Orang Utan

Gromit also needs to read the Sara Rowbotham article trashpony posted.
    Then shut the fuck up.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    spirals, trashpony and sojourner like this.
  24. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

I just watched it on iplayer, I found it quite harrowing tbh. I saw myself and my friends as teenagers and I thought 'if the right (?wrong) people had come along we might have been in a lot of trouble'.

Thought Liv Hill and Molly Windsor were as good as Maxine Peake.

25. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Sara

trashpony, Orang Utan and sojourner like this.
  26. sojourner

Yep, same here.

Yes they were. I thought all three girls were brilliant in it. That last scene crucified me.

27. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Thought this was excellent too, depressingly plausible portrayal of police and social service indifference too as well as the harrowing depiction of the crimes themselves.

spanglechick and sojourner like this.
  28. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Just realised (reading the guardian article above) that it's on tonight and tomorrow, not next week as I had presumed.

sojourner likes this.
  29. moomoo

Oh, I'm glad you mentioned that!

wiskey likes this.
  30. trashpony

I think all teenagers should watch it.
    wiskey - same here

felixthecat, moomoo and sojourner like this.