Threatin - fake band bullshits venues with made up ticket sales

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by editor, Nov 9, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Fascinating story this:

Threatin

2. wemakeyousoundb

wemakeyousoundb and calm again

Yep,

I wonder what's going to happen with the rest of the tour now

3. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Years ago now, (early internet days and pre on line digital tickets) when PJ Harvey was just breaking, she was doing a gig in London. I rang the venue at lunchtime a couple of weeks ahead of the show, to check ticket availability was told they had nearly 300 left. I diverted on my way home from work and went to the venue to get a ticket. Sold Out. Someone from her management company had been along that afternoon and bought all the remaining tickets.

Rosemary Jest likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There's more here;

L.A. Band Threatin Faked a Fanbase To Land a European Tour No One Attended | MetalSucks

Amazingly, tomorrow's Belfast gig is still listed! THREATIN | The Belfast Empire Music Hall

moochedit likes this.
  5. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

6. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

How very, very odd.

7. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Tour t-shirts might be collectors' items in years to come, mind.

8. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

At least he's not shooting up his local high school I guess.

moochedit, Kaka Tim, spitfire and 2 others like this.
  9. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

This is really weird.

A ‘crowd video’ obviously fake because you can’t even see the band

moochedit likes this.
  10. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

And the music is fucking awful so probably best if the venues are empty.

I think somebody will have lost loads of money now they have been caught out :thumbs:

11. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

Feel sorry for The Exchange. They are a decent venue and let me use some space for free recently.

editor likes this.
  12. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

Totally bizzare. The Jonathan Bishop of rock :D

stuff_it and xenon like this.
  13. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

14. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

I posted this in the Tripadvisor - Shed Restaurant thread over the weekend as a similar type of scam. Shed becomes top rated tripadvisor destination

Wonder how the rest of the tours gone. The Asylum in Brum dealt with it very well all things considered.

15. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

Loads of online stories now. I read 2 of the band quit (they were session musicians hired for the tour and unaware of the scam until they went on stage or so they claim anyway). The belfast gig was cancelled. I think another hired member has decided to stick it out. I did see a tour list somewhere and they were suppossed to go on and play 1 gig each in france, germany and italy after belfast.

16. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

moochedit likes this.
  17. skyscraper101

I quite fancy seeing this band now.

Can we book him for an offline?

stuff_it likes this.
  18. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

Has anyone checked the bin to see if he has ever spammed on here before? :hmm:

stuff_it likes this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

AverageJoe likes this.
  20. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

While “delusional fantasist” is still most likely, a big part of me hopes it really was a perfectly calculated wind up/publicity stunt :D

He now has over a million hits on YouTube. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he now gets “genuine” fame and a record deal.

21. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

I read about this really early on as one of the venues was in Bristol and it was on local groups, watching it then unfold was fascinating.

Tried to read that article on the BBC yesterday but despite three attempts got interrupted before the end.

I do kind of hope that this is part of a longer thing with a purpose rather than just a fantasist.

What he said about getting more gigs if they go through a booking agent, even an invented one, was interesting.

22. skyscraper101

It would've actually been amazing if it were being done as some kind of project to dupe a bunch of well known venues into booking them, and then documented as a film.

The story itself has generated so much press he could've capitalised on it way better, it just needed to be executed in a better way. Ironically he could no doubt fill a few more venues by now, even if just as a novelty thing.

You have to admit, for so many venues to have been hoaxed by shoddy fake agent websites, and all these fake concert videos, is fucking funny.

23. skyscraper101

He's BACK!

(in November)

moochedit and editor like this.
  24. skyscraper101

Has anyone actually listened to his music? I listened to some of his tracks on Spotify and its truly terrible.

moochedit likes this.
  25. copliker

copliker ...

Please Don't Break The World You Twat

Enviro and moochedit like this.
  26. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

That's not necessarily a bar to success. :p

27. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

Why doesn't he just go on celebrity pop factor or whatever it is called?

28. skyscraper101

TBH I didn't think it would be long until some enterprising promoter would take the opportunity to cash in on the internet hype. I mean they even had yodelling walmart kid at Coachella last year such is the power of going viral these days.

moochedit likes this.
  29. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

Wonder if the same band members are playing with him this time?

30. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Thanks for taking one for the team

moochedit likes this.