1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Those yellow boat buses

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by bi0boy, Mar 31, 2013.

1. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

2. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

I so nearly got killed by one of them when sodding about on the [​IMG]bank of the thames with the tide out, photographing one of these, just past lambeth bridge - my two second dash to safety gave the tourists an added danger to their amphibious experience. Reckon I'd have been the first DuckTour death.

3. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

They're WWII vehicles aren't they?

Greebo likes this.
  4. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

5. dessiato

dessiato Fast cars. Big waves.

that's right, they are ex-military I think. I'd rather like one. I reckon they'd be good fun. There used to be one on Cleethorpes beach which used to take people for a ride in the sea. That was many years ago though.

Greebo likes this.
  6. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

I wince every time I see them surge through the pedestrian crossings in Trafalgar Square.

7. thriller

thriller Last of the world's good men Banned

London Duck Tours. They dunk into the water where I live- next to the green MI6 office in Vauxhall.

Greebo likes this.
  8. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

i went on the london one, it was brilliant. the guide was good and pretty funny as well.

Greebo likes this.
  9. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

That's where I nearly got splattered.....they come out of the river and up the shingle quite fast, especially when you're facing the other way and oblivious.

10. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

I went on one between Guernsey and Herm once and can honestly say that in the open sea (such as it is between the two islands) it was terrifying, though I should also point out that I was seasick crossing Portsmouth Harbour once.

toggle and Greebo like this.
  11. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

They have those amphibious tours all over the place (especially America)

I like the Alaskan one. At least it's not bright yellow

[​IMG]

Greebo likes this.
  12. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

Edit: londoncentric assumption

13. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

Luckily no-one got too wet.
    [​IMG]:D

14. gmac

gmac Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like it was swamped by waves...too sharp a turn, off balance maybe? They do seem to sit low in the water but they are safe enough.

15. Fuchs66

Fuchs66 Ring a ding

My guess is that someone forgot to replace a drain plug after maintenance.

16. thriller

thing about these tours is you gotta get a seat near the window or it's pointless. i was planning on booking the duck tour but by the time the tour gets to the MI6 office, all the window seats would have been taken

Greebo likes this.
  17. Casually Red

Casually Red tomorrow belongs to me

those bastard things. They have one in dublin and they make all the passengers wear viking hats with big horns . And then they drive about the town encouraging the passengers to simultanously erupt with a viking type roar at unsuspecting people. I know this because last year i was sitting at a pavement bistro enjoying a nice coffee and reading my paper, pondering the horse racing . And next thing there was 2 dozen wankers in viking hats roaring at me just feet away, and coffee was all over my nostrils, shirt and horseracing supplement .

im glad one sank and i hope the trend continues

18. thriller

19. Schmetterling

Schmetterling I saw something nasty in the woodshed!

I think they look bloody good fun but are soooooo bloody expensive! Fuck the Duck Boat tour!

Greebo likes this.
  20. Stigmata

Stigmata sexual tyrannosaurus

I went on rather a nice one in San Francisco. The driver was a bit 'zany' but it was a fun way to travel

21. golightly

golightly I've been gentrified. - :(

That takes me back. :cool:

Greebo and Mrs Magpie like this.
  22. Wolveryeti

Wolveryeti Young Lethargio

The Duck Tours operators are total cunts. They drive like dicks and will harangue you for bringing your own craft down the launch onto the stretch of the Thames they use even if you aren't impeding them in any way.

Greebo, Black Halo and komodo like this.
  23. Stigmata

Stigmata sexual tyrannosaurus

Ducks

Greebo, smorodina and clicker like this.
  24. vauxhallmum

vauxhallmum had to scrap the cheap car

I really enjoyed it when I went on one. Told me stuff I didn't know

25. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

26. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Ok it's the same one that sank last time, also, it sank in exactly the same place.

27. Remus Harbank

Remus Harbank Cake and whipped cream…

One of the last independent operators in London that hasn't been swallowed by the Merlin Entertainment/Blackstone Group conglomerate.

28. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

Some people never learn.

Casually Red and ViolentPanda like this.
  29. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

30. Casually Red

Casually Red tomorrow belongs to me