1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thornton Heath Chitter Chatter Thread

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by boohoo, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

I m just leaving too

Guineveretoo likes this.
  2. Callie

Callie Pivoting

I'm in the garden

3. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

I'm too cold and am in the quiet bit of the pub!!

4. Callie

Callie Pivoting

:D I'll come and find you!

5. Guineveretoo

I didn't even look in the garden. I'll keep this table and wait to see if anyone comes here. :)

6. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

I am also in the railway telegraph where are you two? :)

Guineveretoo likes this.
  7. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

8. Guineveretoo

That was lovely. Welcome to Thornton Heath/Croydon, Miss-Shelf! Lovely to see you again Callie.

The pub is great. Unspoilt locals' type pub but really friendly.

We should go there again!

Hoss, boohoo and Miss-Shelf like this.
  9. BigMoaner

was it busy?

10. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

Yes it was. Good mix of locals plus dogs
    Lively but had quiet space and a garden
    The sort if place that could handle a big urban contingent and find it amusing
    Oh and toilets were nice friendofdorothy

Callie good to meet and thanks to Guineveretoo for organising at short notice plus plumber tips

Hoss, boohoo, Callie and 2 others like this.
  11. Guineveretoo

The pub is bigger than I had realised. Big enough that we all sat in different parts of it, and wouldn't have found the others without mobile phones!

And yes, it was busy. :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    Callie and BigMoaner like this.
  12. BigMoaner

13. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

good to know. Look forward to visiting another time.

boohoo and Guineveretoo like this.
  14. RubbishChessMan

RubbishChessMan New Member

I'm pretty sure the Railway used to have strippers. I take it they've done some, er, modernising since then...

Guineveretoo likes this.
  15. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

Or they had a night off

Guineveretoo likes this.
  16. Hoss

Hoss ...It was the blurst of times...

Drove past the Lord Napier with my dad this evening. He told me he used to drink there and that it was a good music venue back in the day.

xenon likes this.
  17. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

Thomas Farley windows boarded up - its a shame it has a very handsome front

18. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

I hope this isn't an excuse to rip out the interior to make it unusable.

19. BigMoaner

spoke to the chap who was doing the boards - asked him what was going to happen to it. He said that it was "being redecorated and the boards are to protect the windows", and he didn't know anything else. Guess we'll have to wait and see. The hardest part with the high street is working out whether it is on the up or further declining. I quite like it as it is but it's easy to see it struggle in the future (but hopefully not). that wacking great Tescos that sells everything from clothes to garden stuff to kids toys doesn't help - what chance does a high street have with that there?

20. BigMoaner

it's a listed building - does anyone know the implications of that on development? i couldn't really work it out from my brief look at uncle google.

21. BigMoaner

antic tried to view thomas farley pub, but couldn't find the seller of the damn place.

22. BigMoaner

agent, i should say.

23. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

I think it's only locally listed - which offers it a little bit of protection. High Definition will know. :)

BigMoaner likes this.
  24. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

I need to register with a doctor in thornton heath - any recommendations?

25. BigMoaner

hi misshelf - Thornton Heath Health Centre, we use. no problems so far, like it.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  26. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

London teachers and parents!

27. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Mujaahid Wilson, 20, was stabbed to death outside a pizza shop in Thornton Heath on 14 March 2016.

Police and paramedics were called to reports of an assault on the High Street at around 8.30pm.

Mr Wilson, from Croydon, was pronounced dead at the scene and at postmortem the cause of death was established as a single stab wound to the heart.

Detectives said Mr Wilson was attacked after he got out of a Fiat Punto and approached one man in a group of nine or ten outside Mamma's Pizza.

A fight developed and spilled into the road and ended with the victim being stabbed. The suspect, described as black, aged around 18-25 and wearing dark clothing and a face mask, ran off into Gilsland Road.

On 7 June 2016 a 17 year-old man was charged with murder. He is due to stand trial at the Old Bailey on 5 December 2016.

Anyone with information is asked to call the incident room on 020 8721 4205 or if you wish to remain anonymous Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

28. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Nice to see BigMoaner and Miss-Shelf today. Thanks for your help. Another day of painting tomorrow at Grangewood Park.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  29. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Miss-Shelf and quimcunx like this.
  30. Guineveretoo

Wow!

The photos are all a bit odd - the perspective doesn't look right in them. I don't know whether that is an estate agent thing to make rooms look bigger or something, but it all looks a bit peculiar.