1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thornton Heath Chitter Chatter Thread

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by boohoo, Jun 16, 2016.

1. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

So to welcome our newest resident, I think we need our own thread....

Miss-Shelf

BigMoaner Hoss xenon Guineveretoo Callie

There is a clean up on Saturday 18 June in Thornton Heath Rec. They will be cleaning up the brook and litter picking in the park with support from the council, Veolia and Thames21.

Meeting at the Carew Road entrance at 10.15am - there will be a very important H&S talk at 10.25am near the community garden. Finishing at 12.45pm

Greebo, Hoss and Miss-Shelf like this.
  2. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Also can anyone tell me more about the Thomas Farley pub?

3. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

I feel very welcome :)

4. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

What an omission, not to have a Thornton Heath thread. Well done for correcting that. :)

I don't think I know which pub the Thomas Farley is.

When I first moved here, I tried the pubs in Thornton Heath, and there was one I quite liked - if only because it was so friendly and not too busy - but that was years ago.

Time to explore it some more, perhaps.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  5. Callie

Callie Pivoting

I know nothing about the Thomas Farley which is sort of middle is on the high street, on the left if you're facing tescowards but I did go to drink there once when I was on route to the Croydon volunteers centre. Actually it was probably after :oops:

I'm not really a TH dweller, I'm in Broad Green but did live on Boswell Rd off of Brigstocke Rd 20 years ago and Broughton Rd down by the pond for a bit.

Dunno if it's of any interest to you boohoo but I think this weekend onwarss is Croydon Heritage Week with various walks, talks and bits and bobs happening.

boohoo and Guineveretoo like this.
  6. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Yes -the festival looks good. Although some of the free tours are already sold out!

Croydon Heritage Festival 2016

7. Guineveretoo

I have just realised, via google, that the Thomas Farley is the pub I was talking about which I went to 15 years ago, and which was quiet but friendly.

Not sure how helpful that is, though, because I have no idea if it is run by the same people.

Just found this review written about 4 years ago, which says it is named after a local landowner. The Thomas Farley in Thornton Heath

boohoo likes this.
  8. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Guineveretoo - the pub was dead last night. It's probably run by the same people.

Guineveretoo and Callie like this.
  9. Guineveretoo

Maybe. Apparently, it is one of the places that the Away supporters go on match days. Perhaps they make enough money from that to keep them going.

boohoo likes this.
  10. Hoss

Hoss ...It was the blurst of times...

I will be in the neighbourhood all weekend but doing essential work on our house so we can move in end of July.

and thanks for the welcome boohoo :D

I will be up for pub visits once we've moved. Will report back and post up findings i.e. (is the Guinness any good? and other burning questions).

Miss-Shelf, boohoo and Guineveretoo like this.
  11. xenon

xenon What door?

I'm in TH this weekend, visiting my dad. Probably not up forcleaning parks... :oops:

We should have TH drinks one day. :) :hmm:. Am well out of touch re any decent pubs there. My dad doesn't drink any more... Thomas Farley, end of Parchmore road? by the clock tower (which has probably gone actually.) used to be the Prince of Wales. Was... Quite sketchy.

boohoo likes this.
  12. xenon

xenon What door?

It was called Big Hand Hmo's or sommat before that. Think that was in the McKenzie brothers era. Had a boxing gym up stairs.

13. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

I think that one has entirely gone. I was looking at old photos of the area. The developers have a lot to answer for.

14. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

Spoons is best.

Had a nice morning out and about th today. Ybr bakery, cornfield bakery for cake, polish deli for bread, Tesco for kids toys, th rec for a bit of green.

They are cleaning the pavements. Looks great.

Big restaurant opening on Whitehorse roundabout, no idea what it'll be like.

Daughter starts at Whitehorse in Sept.

The last area truly untouched by gentrification in zones 1-4.

Guineveretoo and boohoo like this.
  15. BigMoaner

All the houses in my surrounding rounds are going on at 400 above and all are being reduced within weeks. Good.

boohoo likes this.
  16. BigMoaner

. Has pool tables that I think are popular, and match day traffic, otherwise seems dead. Prince gorge is a friendly pub, but very old school.

boohoo likes this.
  17. BigMoaner

there was a massive party in the rec the other day, totally illegally - giant speaker sound system :) but a lot :mad: among residents

boohoo likes this.
  18. BigMoaner

i am going to try and get ARiwa studios to do a sound system for the festival...

boohoo and Miss-Shelf like this.
  19. BigMoaner

massive street party from 11pm to 4am on whitehorse, music blaring from cars, 200 odd teenagers having a great time. local residents up in arms, i guess me one of them, as police never showed up to disperse. it was a bit of a joke with so many people having a sleepless night, but it also was good to see teenagers having fun.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  20. BigMoaner

thornton heath festival. Normally a great day, nothing fancy, but some good music and they close off the whole of the high street and great to see little kids running about. I am trying my hardest to get Ariwa studios to do something (legendary raggae/dub studio on whitehorse lane), perhaps a small little rig.

Dan-I, is playing. many others.

Thornton Heath Festival

21. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Looking forward to Thornton Heath Festival. Arts festival starts soon.

Guineveretoo likes this.
  22. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

So when do we organise a drinks then?

Callie and Guineveretoo like this.
  23. BigMoaner

What school did u get/choose in the end boohoo?

24. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Cypress - pleased as it is our closest school. Have to hang out with South Norwood people though. Not quite the same as the Thornton Heath Crew. :D

Did you get the one you wanted?

BigMoaner and Guineveretoo like this.
  25. BigMoaner

Yes, Whitehorse. Open evening was last night, felt very warm and friendly.

boohoo likes this.
  26. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

I was in the area briefly today and thought we need a drinks - next week? week after? hoping to move at the weekend or early next week :cool:

Guineveretoo likes this.
  27. Callie

Callie Pivoting

But where?!

28. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

I reckon the Thomas Farley - after the 10th would be better for me.

29. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I taught a lot of former Cypress students in my last school - it was one of our loveliest feeder schools. Congratulations.

Guineveretoo and boohoo like this.
  30. BigMoaner

lord napier seems okay. never been. i'm not a pub person.

pawson's arms? any one know these two?