1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This week in your Kitchen Garden.

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Mrs Magpie, Mar 6, 2005.

1. mrsfran

mrsfran Slightly less bulbous

That bed only doesn't have manure because it's still got sprouts in, I'll chuck some chicken poo in there a few weeks before I plant the potatoes.

The carrot & parsnip beds don't have any manure either, but that is on purpose.

campanula and gentlegreen like this.
  2. Ron Merlin

Ron Merlin All about the anatomical snuff box.

The garlic's coming along nicely, and my root veg seeds have arrived. Soon, my beauties, soon.
    IMG_20160219_1847351_rewind_kindlephoto-76741309.jpg o

3. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Lemon Balm got put in a tub last week, waiting for that to grow.

The Blueberry bush is starting to sprout, we bought it in Jan and its been a stick since it turned up at the start of Feb but the leaves are now peeking out ready to roll.

Another week and I think I'll plant some of the Tomato bushes indoors and wait for those to kick in before I stick em outside.

4. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

RubyToogood, ringo and mrsfran like this.
  5. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Still harvesting Asparagus - not much - but it is so good ...

6. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Arrrgh, a continual battle (15 bloody years) with asparagus beetle led me to do a deal with the devil (Bayer) last year and break out the liquid death (Provado Ultimate bug Killer). Felt so guilty that, on the inevitable return of the little buggers this year, I have simply decided asparagus is just one of those epic fails (like raspberries) which I will have to live without.

7. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Never give up - I must have planted those asparagus heads or whatever you call them a good 10 years ago - gave them up as a lost cause and yet 2 years ago , they decided life was worth living. Give them a good few shovels of well rotted compost in he autumn and a bit of water if very dry - and they provide a small and welcome harvest for a few weeks of the year. By all accounts, this yer is going to be a massively good harvest - they like warmth and moisture , if not sunshine.

8. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Something has feasted on my very young Kale plants ...:mad: -annoyed to say the least......

9. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Yep - it took me 10 years to even get a harvest because the canes were completely stripped back every year. Disheartening...because I do not really enjoy the annual gardening regime with vegetables and put as much of the plot as possible down to perennials, fruits and nuts.

10. campanula

campanula plant a seed

And yep - exactly the ruination of such crops as has put me off - if not the mollusc apocalypse, then flying rats (pigeons)...which so comprehensively wrecked my (stupidly then un-netted cherries), they took 3 years to recover...whereas hardy geraniums, geums and achilleas, although not tasty and nutritious, seem to be avoided by every flying, creeping and sliming pest in the UK...and require no attention whatsoever apart from admiration for their indestructible nature.
    Although, tbf, dahlias are a distant memory.

11. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Managed to blag a few more big pots and a Belfast sink, so some French beans, radish's and tomatoes are out with what's generally just been a herb garden

mrsfran likes this.
  12. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Man cannot live by potatoes alone ....

Still , we have young family of Blue tits in a nesting box...

campanula likes this.
  13. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Thrilling! We have great tits in a nestbox next to the horsebox...and something appears to have colonised a previous years crow nest. Didn't have my monocular so couldn't see what it was apart from the fact that it was bloody big. There is a huge surfeit of wildlife in the wood but unfortunately, a huge deficit of knowledge in my head, much to my frustration.

14. AnnaKarpik

AnnaKarpik Queen of all she surveys

Am growing full length cucumbers for the first time this year; can anyone tell me how to build a thing for them to trail over so the cukes don't lie on the ground?

15. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

rabbit attack caused such devastation to my veg allotment / patch and garden pretties that I gave up some years ago.
    Trying again this year ... but "jungle bashing" is the first stage - in doing so I've recovered enough raspberry canes to replant the boundary "hedge" (after I've changed the soil). Although the birds get a share, I don't usually bother with a net.
    This year, I've a few things in pots - or sown seeds ready.

Fingers crossed!

16. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

This warmish and wet weather is bringing the spuds on very well - beans and courgettes likewise.

Time to get some leek plants sorted - planning ahead....

17. mrsfran

mrsfran Slightly less bulbous

Also posted in the gardening thread. Am delighted with my first proper produce :)

[​IMG]

18. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Picked some raspberries today ...

19. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

image.jpg Just picked yet more tomatoes

Artaxerxes, scifisam and mrsfran like this.
  20. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

The Hedgehogs visited my greenhouse last night. Cat in residence notwithstanding - left several big dollops of shit after ripping open the bag containing the sunflower hearts for the bird feeders!

21. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

I had a hedgehog visit my FRONT garden the other day - I put out some dog food, but a cat came and stole it :p

Today I stepped out the front door straight onto some fairly smelly spraints.

hedgypoop.jpg

22. The39thStep

Just ate my first home grown melon. A cantaloupe type about 6/7 inches diameter .

Ron Merlin, gentlegreen and Leafster like this.
  23. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Tomatoes are starting to turn red (have them outside but should last till November I think)

Not kitchen garden but just got back with 4 boxes stuffed with blackberries, so I'll be jam making this week

24. The39thStep

image.jpg Two more melons

ringo likes this.
  25. The39thStep

image.jpg All set to make Caldo Verde

scifisam, BoatieBird and mrsfran like this.
  26. Hurin85

Hurin85 Well-Known Member

Wow they are huge...

For my self the new thing I'm working on is tiling the kitchen and re-laying the floor.

27. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

I reckon this will be the last of the chillies and peppers from my greenhouse for this season.

[​IMG]

Its been below freezing for the last 3/4 nights and all but one of the plants are wilting fast now.

Still, I feel a nice and very warming chilli medley will be part of my tea tonight. And several beers are in the fridge already!

:D

BoatieBird likes this.
  28. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

Lovely produce, I'm getting quite jealous ...

When I get over the "jungle bashing" stage in reclaiming the garden from the over-abundant growth, one of my (longer-term) objectives will be to re-invent my "allotment" - I will need a new greenhouse, last winter the storms demolished the one I've had for 20 years. The next version is going to be bigger ... I need more protected space.

29. The39thStep

Still got bell peppers growing outside

30. campanula

campanula plant a seed

I can't agree more. My greenhouse, a freecycle freebie, takes up a third of my entire garden (10 x12). Get the biggest you can - you will run out of space. I use mine as a shed - do all the potting and pricking out, am in there every day, even if I skip past the rest of the outside (and don't bike to the allotment either). I had melanoselum ( monster umbellifer) seeds germinate yesterday - the whole bench is stuffed with seedlings - growing stuff from seeds and splits is absolutely the best part of gardening (for me). I sent off my seedlist from the Hardy Plant Soc. so I am delirious at the prospect of another year of seed starting (I had a paeony moment)...although seeds don't get posted out till January.