1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This week in your Kitchen Garden.

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Mrs Magpie, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Bunch of plum trees planted down a very nice quiet street near me so I finally got around to sampling a few, bloody lovely.

1500810552417.jpg

And judging by the blackberries there's going to be a glut this year, some of them were huge but not quite ripe yet.

Ron Merlin, scifisam and gentlegreen like this.
  2. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Tonights dinner is enlivened by home grown spuds (sauted) in home grown rosemary , with French beans fried in garlic and butter.

(the accompanying burgers were 4 for a £1.99) -

BoatieBird and scifisam like this.
  3. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

This week I've harvested

Apples
    Cooking apples
    Peaches
    Tree spinach
    Onions
    Potatoes
    Yellow courgette
    Aubergine
    Rainbow chard
    Rocket
    Lettuce
    Pak choi
    Alfalfa
    Three different kinds of cherry tomatoes
    And numerous herbs

I feel like a farmer. :D OK, I'd be a farmer who swiftly starved come winter (or even now) but I'm pleased with how it's going at the moment :)

4. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

I've finally got a working bell syphon - thanks, as is so often the case, to food packaging - in this case the neck from a fancy bottle of pear juice.

Not satisfied with that, I went up to the pound shop and came back with three bottles for taking fluids onto planes, and two babies' bottles ...

After a lot of farting about, I found that the transparent domed caps from the latter worked more reliably by themselves.

But the whole operation has proved supremely twitchy - if the input flow is too slow, the syphon never initiates and there's a steady trickle through the drain pipe with the level staying high....

Though it sort of works with the top trough emptying into the lower one, I've decided to buy the extra 15mm plastic plumbing fittings to have separate drains so there's much less chance of flooding.

I'm glad it's watercress I'm growing in these shallow troughs because it has proved impossible to drain all the water through the gravel before the syphon breaks ... but feeding the water in at the far end and having the troughs sloping towards the drain has probably helped a bit.

syphon.png

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  5. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

Arse :mad:

I've just realised that since I'm using a timer on my pump I don't actually need bell syphons ...:facepalm:

just a slow drain and an overflow....

6. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Far too hot here to grow much in the summer; lettuces just go to seed, climbing beans do well for a couple of crops then just die, cherry tomatoes give you a glut and then just get burnt out by the sun, forget courgettes they just get scorched. Crops locally are grown under shade , most are brought in from the north.aubergines peppers, pumpkin are still doing ok though and the larger tomatoes are still producing . October when it's a bit cooler looks like a good time to have another go.

7. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

collard greens ?
    sweet potatoes ?

8. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

9. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

Paul Stamets - über mushroom guru - considers the common or garden agaricus bisporus mushrooms I eat daily to supply essential vitamins to be too toxic (they should never be eaten raw), so once I'm settled in my retirement home, I fully intend to get growing other species such as shitake and oyster ...

I have started happening upon techniques that don't require lab conditions - I especially like this one. :-

Technique starts at 5:09

10. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

King Stropharia is definitely on my list for the future :-

lksra-ce6fcefc.jpg

11. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

I'm currently trying to resist the temptation to carry home a massively heavy pack of artificial logs from Aldi and try to inoculate with mushroom spores ... :hmm:

12. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

My first jerusalem artichokes are coming in and it looks like I might be farting for a good few months. I'm still getting handfuls of french beans and a bit of chard, plus I've got a few big squashes in storage.

I've also started regular sprouting and have been cycling between broccoli, raddish, mung and alalfa. I'll be working through my store cupboard as well and looking to do sesame, fenugreek, pea and lentils, though my setup is rather basic with just an old protein tub with muslin over it. It seems to do the job though

Artaxerxes and gentlegreen like this.
  13. The39thStep

Still harvesting climbing French beans, aubergines, a handful of tomatoes, pumpkins and peppers. Carrots and cabbage have germinated but no sign of onions or leeks yet. Will plant some garlic this week .

14. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

I moved my tomato plants to a shaded area a couple of weeks ago and they're still putting out endless tomatoes. Maybe I can keep going to December this time!

15. The39thStep

image.jpeg A late but great aubergine

16. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

B1771B2F-0530-46FB-8D6E-15457A71EDFB.jpeg This overwintered Kashmiri chilli is still knocking out new fruit (despite a small whitefly infestation)

campanula and gentlegreen like this.