This Facebook 'for my birthday I'd like you to donate to...' thing

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, Aug 3, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This seems to becoming more common and in most cases leads to an embarrassingly paltry amount of money being raised. In some cases, the total remains zero throughout.

I sort of like the idea but I don't like Facebook being involved in any way, neither do I like being pressured into donating to something just because it's someone's birthday (and it appears, they're under no obligation to donate anything themselves).

So for my birthday, I won't be asking anyone to donate any money anywhere (but they can buy me a drink, if they want).

2. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

For my birthday, I'd like people to buy a goat.

Helpfully, I own the goat in question, I'd just like someone to buy it and take it away. Companion, guard goat, kebab, new hipster craze - I don't care, I just want it gone.

Kthx.

3. Yogibear

Yogibear Let it be Banned

I'm sure there's probably a small free and efficient website or app that will allow you to post up a birthday, xmas or whatever list that can be accessed easily without the likes of facebook being involved.

If there isn't there should be...

4. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

It's called Amazon

5. Yogibear

Yogibear Let it be Banned

What part of small, free and efficient didn't you understand?

6. dylene

dylene New Member

Website builders

7. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

Awful. Absolutely awful. I've only seen this just recently when someone I don't particularly like asked for donations to the charity she works for. I've unfollowed her now as it was the final straw.

editor likes this.
  8. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Hate it. They can get ducked.

9. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

You say paltry amount raised but if you get 50-100 people raising £50-100 each it’s nothing to sniff at. Especially if you’re a small struggling charity...

10. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

I did it, because Facebook donate the first £5. I raised £130 for my chosen charity, Syria Charity. I thought it was worth doing.

Kid_Eternity likes this.
  11. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

£130 is a great gift for a charity given how low average gifts tends to be via the usual donation journey.

If anyone wants to criticise FB and their giving tools (instead of making those who want to help feel like shit) take a look at how crap the opt ins are for it. The only way a charity survives is to build a meaningful long term relationship with their donors. FB is essentially supplanting that by not incentiving opt ins properly...

12. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

one of my former colleagues wanted donations to battersea cats and dogs. she got zero amount donated. luckily, I managed to get battersea selected as our work charity of the year 2018 through hassling my colleagues via email and in person.