Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help Thinking about buying a MacBook Pro 2017

ATOMIC SUPLEX

Currys have them for about a grand with 250gigs and without the daft power bar thing.
Does that sound like a good deal?
Are they a bit out of date?
All my external drives that I want to share with it and my iMac are thunderbolt 2 and it's connectors are thunderbolt 3, will that end up being a problem?
As I will be sharing logic Pro I want to use my old plugins, but when I installed them on cd which apparently doesn't exist anymore. Is there anyway to copy them off my iMac?

Last edited:

Fez909

toilet expert
It's an old machine for a grand, but I'm sure it'll be fine. Be careful not to update to Catalina- lots of people had problems with plugins and apps and such.

You might be fine, but there's no need to risk it.

USB C is still still niche, but we're at the point where it's going to crossover quickly, IMO.

cybershot

My Dell XPS is a couple years old and that’s USB C only so I guess it was around 2017 all the thin type laptops adopted it.

As for the MacBook. My first question is, is 256GB enough? We looked at what was the latest one in John Lewis about 4 months ago for my other halfs daughter before ordering online (student discount) and found half the disk with just the OS was already used. Once you install office, photoshop/music apps you’ll have very little space left. We went for the 512GB one.

ATOMIC SUPLEX

My Dell XPS is a couple years old and that’s USB C only so I guess it was around 2017 all the thin type laptops adopted it.

As for the MacBook. My first question is, is 256GB enough? We looked at what was the latest one in John Lewis about 4 months ago for my other halfs daughter before ordering online (student discount) and found half the disk with just the OS was already used. Once you install office, photoshop/music apps you’ll have very little space left. We went for the 512GB one.
Doesn't seem to be a 512 one on offer.
I was hoping to use an external rugged drive that I share with my iMac for all video, music, Photoshop etc. The USB c/thunderbolt 3 screws that up a bit though.

ATOMIC SUPLEX

It's an old machine for a grand, but I'm sure it'll be fine. Be careful not to update to Catalina- lots of people had problems with plugins and apps and such.

You might be fine, but there's no need to risk it.

USB C is still still niche, but we're at the point where it's going to crossover quickly, IMO.
What's Catalina? An os? Can you skip os updates? I never updated to the next os on my iMac.
Any other Mac Pro starts to get really pricey.

cybershot

Doesn't seem to be a 512 one on offer.
I was hoping to use an external rugged drive that I share with my iMac for all video, music, Photoshop etc. The USB c/thunderbolt 3 screws that up a bit though.
you can get adapters as we had to order one for the external drive she purchased for time machine/data backups.

i know you say the prices jump for the newer models but I dunno, in contrast to the age of the processor in the currys one the newer one is probably better value for money imo in the long term. But comes down to where the line is on cost I guess. You can get monthly payment options in the Apple store if that helps or if you know anyone with a unidays account you can get 10% off the latest ones which in Apple prices 10% is quite a nice discount.

FridgeMagnet

Administrator
I have a 2017 MBP with 256 gig HD and it's fine, very nippy machine with a great screen. I do use cloud storage a lot but tbh no laptop has enough drive space if you're whanging big media files around anyway. Mostly I do photo editing and game/web development (also pissing about on the internet, obviously).

Fez909

toilet expert
What's Catalina? An os? Can you skip os updates? I never updated to the next os on my iMac.
Yep, it's the latest version of MacOS. And you can skip, yes. You have to manually update the OS usually.

Mattym

I have one. I do the same & use an external hd for all music/films etc.
The adapter scenario is ridiculous.
This is my main one...

My first one was cheaper, overheated & would suffer dropouts.

I also had to buy a 3rd one so that I can hook up to a TV/ projector (could do it wirelessly but old school & all that).

Pretty sure I should've researched it a bit longer, but you know that feeling of wanting to get going.

Other problems- I'm trying to hook up an old midi controller- which won't work, either because of the drivers no longer up to date or maybe I need a powered USB adapter.

neonwilderness

What would Badgers do?
I have a 2017 MBP with 256 gig HD and it's fine, very nippy machine with a great screen.
This, although mine has a 512GB SSD. I suppose it depends on what you're using it for, but I think I'd struggle a bit with just 256GB.

Another slight gripe is the lack of a proper adapter for the Thunderbolt displays (ie one that does Thunderbolt and power), so I now have to have a separate power supply for the MBP at my desk. Not a massive issue, but it's more messy than before.

It might be worth checking the Apple refurbished store to see how their prices compare Certified Refurbished Products

ATOMIC SUPLEX

It might be worth checking the Apple refurbished store to see how their prices compare Certified Refurbished Products
That's where I went first. . . the prices were worse then the new prices.
What about those cash converters places? I see older models or similar models second hand at around £700.

The thunderbolt 3 thing is a real pain in the arse. Can't do midi, and nothing I currently own will connect. No audio inputs or external drives.

FridgeMagnet

Administrator
This, although mine has a 512GB SSD. I suppose it depends on what you're using it for, but I think I'd struggle a bit with just 256GB.
The cloud storage has really made the difference - I started using it primarily for photos, of which I have a lot and also want to access on my phone, but I have iCloud Drive set up for other files as well, so eg a big game project that I'm not working on will go from my HD but be available if I ever need it, with the sync being very transparent. Of course you end up paying a subscription but it's worth it for me.

ATOMIC SUPLEX

Right, this no usb or thunderbolt 2 and a small amount of storage thing is really pissing me off now. Is there an older 13" MacBook Pro that has these on with 500gig 8g ram and enough to run logic Pro X?
Is it daft to buy such an old version?

mauvais

change has become unavoidable
Yep, it's the latest version of MacOS. And you can skip, yes. You have to manually update the OS usually.
The problems Fez describe with Catalina are likely because it dropped 32 bit support, and that's not limited to that OS version, it's from that version onwards.

editor

hiraethified
I have a 2017 MBP with 256 gig HD and it's fine, very nippy machine with a great screen. I do use cloud storage a lot but tbh no laptop has enough drive space if you're whanging big media files around anyway. Mostly I do photo editing and game/web development (also pissing about on the internet, obviously).
My phone has 256GB of flash memory! 😂

pseudonarcissus

fluttering and dancing
I have a base model MacbookPro 13" with 128GB. I bought just over a year ago...I love it, but I wonder if the "V" key is going to cause problems down the line (the keyboards have a problematic reputation)

I have had no problem running Catalina iOS. I also have Windows 10 using Parallels. I run Cleanmymac a lot and it is always saying the disk is nearly full. I´m also using the disk manager on the windows side a lot. Probably I should have gone for the bigger SSD.

The USB-C thing is a little inconvenient, but I bought an adaptor (Dodocool) from Amazon with regular USBs, VGA and a SD card slot, that works OK.

pseudonarcissus

fluttering and dancing
oh, and I left the transformer/charger in a hotel room, and it's costing nearly $100 for a replacement until the hotel sends the lost one to me...Mac accessories are painfully expensive.

Fez909

toilet expert
I have had no problem running Catalina iOS. I also have Windows 10 using Parallels. I run Cleanmymac a lot and it is always saying the disk is nearly full. I´m also using the disk manager on the windows side a lot. Probably I should have gone for the bigger SSD.
Do you use Spotify? If so, it caches a shitload on Mac. I got back nearly 10GB last time I cleared out the caches.

Alternatively, this app is good for finding big files to delete/backup - often ones you've forgotten about or didn't realise how large they were: Disk Inventory X

ATOMIC SUPLEX

Ok so now I'm thinking about a 13" 2015 model with 500g and 8ram.
It will have all the inputs I need and none of the bullshit I don't.
I'm assuming I can run logic X on this without issue.
Where is the best reputable place to pick something like this up?
I assume eBay and gumtree might not be the answer.
What do I have to watch out for?

danski

Comfortable chair.
These are local to me. Always seemed helpful. Dunno if there is anything suitable but they get stock all the time.

FridgeMagnet

Administrator
My phone has 256GB of flash memory! 😂
So does mine, and that's fine pretty much for the same reason as it's fine on the laptop (in fact maybe it's more useful on the phone). Flexible cloud storage has really changed the game IMO - I don't need all my photos there for instance (thank Christ) as they can just be downloaded on demand. The HD is mostly for apps and they don't take up enough space to get anywhere near filling it.

ATOMIC SUPLEX

Saw a 250g 8g ram 2014 model for £500 in cash converters. I assume I could run logic X on that and use a rugged thunderbolt drive for the media storage.
Is that an ok price? Anything I have to watch out for?

keybored

Well done. You remember cat good.
Saw a 250g 8g ram 2014 model for £500 in cash converters. I assume I could run logic X on that and use a rugged thunderbolt drive for the media storage.
Is that an ok price? Anything I have to watch out for?
Cash Converters aren't the cheapest after they add their mark-up, plus they seem to attract stolen goods. You could do better on ebay.

ATOMIC SUPLEX

Do you think this one looks OK for the price?
The other one looks a bit shit for any price considering it has a broken screen and the owner has been using it with a TV.