1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Shirl, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

Thanks trashpony. If they have any when I go I'm going to get pawsecco for the cats and a bottom sniffer beer for Skye :D

trashpony likes this.
  2. trashpony

trashpony Never knowingly underawed

I've got them a bottle of pawsecco to share :D

friedaweed likes this.
  3. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

There's also matching christmas jumpers for yourself and your pet!

trashpony likes this.
  4. Dovydaitis

Dovydaitis Official fishco fish groupie

Got my mates dog the pawsecco:D

They also had brushed cotton bed sets in the sale section so grabbed one of those. So toasty!

5. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

Lidl have goose crowns in, which seems like a good idea if there are just one or two of you for Xmas dinner.

6. Tankus

Tankus living someone else's dream.

Lidl.....favorina Dark chocolate barrels...with advocaat filling ...think there was brandy barrels as well ...lush and an absolute steal at 50p
    [​IMG]

Marzipan chocolate logs @ 59p but be careful....there's a real wrong un mixed in on the shelf.....with ...pineapple ...!!.....the Kim jong of marzipan logs..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    moose, existentialist and nogojones like this.
  7. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Might appeal to those strange folk who like pineapple on their pizza, I suppose.

8. wtfftw

wtfftw Well-Known Member

9. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

Pineapple is good for you if you have a cough or sore throat, not sure the marzipan would be but hey why not? :D

10. Tankus

Tankus living someone else's dream.

Those barrels were banging...definitely repeat purchase even at full price

Also the chocolate baileys clone at £8.99 ......only managed to get 3 drinks out of it though.

..the bottle didn't even make it to Christmas Eve.... another trip [​IMG]
    I guess.....maybe more barrels on the cards if there are any left

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  11. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Aldi had a great selection of Xmas food. I also got the cats their own Xmas dinner food which handily came in a pack of three. :D

12. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  13. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

Saw Bro Mogden at Xmas. He and his Thai missus have concluded their UK coconut milk research and the winner is Lidl! Said it was far and away better than anything else they could get their hands on while over here. He said it's the green one you want, the full fat one I've bought a couple of cans today.

The blue one is lower fat and not as good I am told. Photo of my purchase to aid searches.[​IMG]

zora, gentlegreen, maomao and 5 others like this.
  14. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

and the only place that I've found doing cheeper coconut milk is Home Bargains

15. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Aldi have a Global Knife set for £200. Way out my price range, but strikes me as a very good price, given how much the individual knives cost.

gaijingirl likes this.
  16. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

I'm going to have to pretend I never read that post. If I bought that mrs maomao would probably end up using them on me.

17. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

I've found lots of cheap coconut milk, some as cheap as 70 odd pence a can, but the quality varies enormously.

18. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

69p in home bargains! They have two - Reggae Reggae or some unbranded stuff. Both ok I find, but I'm not a connoisseur. I tend to prefer the unbranded one as I really fucking hate Dragons Den and anything associated

19. existentialist

existentialist Spartacus? No, never heard of him.

I think they're overrated. I've had a Global cook's knife for about 15 years, and I go off it a little more each year. My current fave is a £12.99 Sabatier one from TK Maxx. Also, knife sets. Boo.

Mogden likes this.
  20. WWWeed

WWWeed Bandwidth Bandit

21. Cloo

Cloo U R dOin me a friTen

Really recommend the quinoa and Mediterranean veg in a bag thing from Aldi. Great for when you don't have time to prep lunch for work - tastes really nice and not full of salt at all. You can also chuck feta on it, or fried halloumi as I have today. Well worth keeping in your cupboard.

22. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

anyone else noticed Lidl hiking there prices a fair bit in the last year? packs of ham, like what you would put in a sandwich (not the shittest one, but not the 'luxury' either) were 79p a year ago, and have now slowly crept up to £1.09.

A certain type of sausages they sell, up for £1.69 to £1.89.

These increases, especially the ham, are rather steep i think considering its only been about 1 year. around 40%!

23. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

Poundstretcher (next to the Aldi round the corner from us) are doing boxes of Maltese’s for £1, 5 packets of instant noodles for 80p, tins of white kidney beans for 15p, tinned toms for 20p and a job lot of Spanish baby asparagus for a quid a tin. A fiver goes a long way in there :)

24. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

We're getting a Lidl!! Right at the end of our street!! :D :cool: :thumbs: *subscribes to thread*

25. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

There is an Aldi less than half a mile from me now. Popped in the other day and it is an odd place, and looks like a jumble sale. :hmm:

Bought a cheap bath mat as a test purchase...

26. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

Just try buying some of their other stuff, chocolate for starters. You'll soon be hooked and saving money :)

27. farmerbarleymow

Not a particular fan of chocolate. :hmm:

28. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

Well something else then :rolleyes: something that you do like :)

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  29. farmerbarleymow

Bath mats then :thumbs:

trashpony, Shirl and tim like this.
  30. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

Bet you didn’t go in for a bathmat!

Calamity1971 likes this.