Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Shirl, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

I'm just drinking some New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon that's very nearly as nice as my favourite Cloudy Bay. Cloudy Bay costs around £21 a bottle. This costs £5.87 :)
    I'm also still wearing Lidl perfume at £4.99 that I bought 3 bottles of last year. People compliment me on it regularly.
    I think we need a thread for Lidl and Aldi great finds :D

polly, bmd, cesare and 4 others like this.
  2. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

What's the wine called?

3. minnyp

minnyp Active Member

Aldi, great;I don't really go in Lidl,dont understand their banter.

4. Callum91

Callum91 Digital dystopian dweller

Their Christmas gingerbread is fantastic! Lebkuchen, if I'm correct? Well worth buying a few (dozen) bags.

Enviro, Greebo and Shirl like this.
  5. catinthehat

catinthehat Failed VK = Replicant

Lidl do big jars of roasted red peppers which are great for pasta sauces and soup and suchlike. And the jars are useful.

polly, Enviro, cesare and 6 others like this.
  6. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Sadly I don't have either a Lidl or an Aldi nearby, otherwise I would definitely use them. Apparently one or perhaps both of them are planning lots of new stores so maybe I will have some choice in due course. Usually I shop in my local little Tesco but I am really bored by the offer there now, yesterday I went to the next nearest supermarket, a much larger Waitrose, and the much bigger choice was very appealing although the prices were a tad higher.

7. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Aldi is very good for wine.

Greebo, minnyp and Shirl like this.
  8. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

The thing that puts me off both of them are the queues. It's probably OK in the week but Saturdays are horrendous.

9. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

The one near me is very good at opening more checkouts when they get busy. I've started waiting to unload a basket till the last min, ready to anticipate them doing so.

Shirl likes this.
  10. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

Aldi's pimms is called Austins and a fiver a bottle - indiscernible once you chuck all the fruit, mint, lemonade and ice in.
    Also their tortilla chips are better than doritos imo. And they do five tubes of Trebor extra strong mints for 99p.

11. gentlegreen

gentlegreen "grade A liberal mug"

Aldi French blended Pinot Noir - About £4.50 I think - been hooked on it for months now - almost wish they would drop it so I can start on my backlog of wine I stashed previously.

I hope they get their canned veggie hotpot and stew back in - that was very nice.

Aldi's wholemeal breadmix is reliable - though best eaten hot from the machine.

Unfortunately their peanuts and cashews and other fattening Xmas stuff are all good quality. :(

Greebo and Shirl like this.
  12. gentlegreen

The woman after me in the queue in Aldi today bought at least three large bottles of gin and very little else. :hmm:

lamb1979, moomoo, felixthecat and 3 others like this.
  13. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

[​IMG]
    This is it Geri

Greebo and Geri like this.
  14. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow cooking expert and general daft apeth

I think that is a perfectly normal shopping list myself. :D

15. tony heath

tony heath Banned Banned

4 corn for a pound seemed like a seasonable deal in my Lidl

Greebo likes this.
  16. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

The Lidl one we bought last year was called Jeeves. Also very good :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    Greebo, onenameshelley and clicker like this.
  17. tony heath

tony heath Banned Banned

The man in front of me in the queue bought a big bottle of cider for about £2. He had the exact money ready, everyone was happy, it's so efficient in there

18. tony heath

tony heath Banned Banned

Anyone tried the Putinov they have in Lidl?

19. muvva

muvva Well-Known Member

Aldi gems:
    Chocolate cheesecake
    Posh pasta
    69p fruit/ veg
    Pinot Grigio

Shirl and ruffneck23 like this.
  20. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

Was it me?
    No. Can't have been, because I've not been in Aldi today, but that sounds certainly like something I'd do - three bottles of gin and some of their tins of mackerel.

I'll second the approval of the Christmas stuff. That bloody Stollen is like crack to me. Maybe it has got crack in it, wrapped up in the marzipan. :D
    It is completely splendid. A pal of mine advised me to try slices of it toasted last year, which makes it even more ridiculously deliciously fantastic. God. I'll have to avoid buying any this year because I've lost a lot of weight this year and I can easily eat whole one all to myself and they are MASSIVE.

zora, polly, bmd and 6 others like this.
  21. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

-every now and again aldi come out with desktop pc's that are amazing for the price

Epico, Greebo and Shirl like this.
  22. Thora

Thora Differently Ethical

I find Aldi better generally but Lidl do the best greek yoghurt in kilo tubs. I feed my children almost exclusively on it :D

Riklet, zora, polly and 5 others like this.
  23. trashpony

trashpony Ovaries and tings

Their cheese/cold meats are excellent.

And Saskia fizzy water from Lidl is the best (and cheapest)

polly, Biddlybee, Greebo and 2 others like this.
  24. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

20141005_172838.jpg
    This weeks haul...choc bics for packed lunches, figs, baby corn, lemsips and rum ( medicinal and only one bottle - had to make mojitos ) to get some vitamin c :)

Greebo and Shirl like this.
  25. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Don't really do Aldi, but Lidl essentials are:

Ecuador dark chocolate and Ecuador with orange zest - make wonderful truffles with their own brand rum and double cream
    Nuts - brasils, almonds hazelnuts and wallnuts cheaper than anywhere else I can find
    Their oatcakes are as good as any other and cheaper than anywhere else
    Avocados - their 2 ripe ones are far cheaper than anywhere else
    Fruit and veg generally is cheaper bar some market stalls
    Baskets of the big garlic, just one big fuck off clove in a whole bulb
    tins of pole caught tuna steaks in oil are pretty good
    their tinned anchovies are much cheaper than elsewhere
    They're now stocking capers much cheaper than anywhere else
    sometimes do cheap decent arborio rice. when they do have it I stock up
    They do a lush soft goats cheese, but I try not to buy it as it goes too quickly

polly, idumea, Greebo and 1 other person like this.
  26. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

Aldi - nice halloumi with chilli in. All their cheese is nice but I don't like buying it as I just nom it all.

Greebo and clicker like this.
  27. izz

izz life's too short to be normal

You say that like its a bad thing. No, wait, are you criticising the absence of tonic ?

Chz, likesfish, Greebo and 3 others like this.
  28. gentlegreen

I was trying not to be seen to be staring, so I didn't see if there were lemons.

I couldn't get The Fast Show out of my head. :oops:

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  29. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

I can now vouch for their champagne as well. hic :oops:

Greebo and moomoo like this.
  30. izz

izz life's too short to be normal

Aldi do a stonking peanut butter, excellent fruit and veg, some particularly delicious smoked salmon fillets with dill and oh just loveliness, I had a stonking tea last week, aldo filled pasta and pesto with some warmed cocktail sausages, sounds odd but drooooooooooooolsome.

Greebo likes this.