1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things to do in Ardrossan when you're dead

Discussion in 'Scotland/Alba' started by Ich bin ein Mod, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Ich bin ein Mod

Ich bin ein Mod does his make up in his room

... curious as to what it's like. I get on the Ardrossan train every day, but alas only make it to Johnstone. However, my placement ends soon and was thinking about going down one day to see what it's like. So any thoughts on it? Is it nice or is it a shithole? Should I get the train to Ardrossan Town or South Beach? Questions questions!

2. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Decayed 30's ambience vs elements of shithole IME.

Apart from the the Arran/Irish ferry, there was a pretty but faded civic garden & walk by the sea. The last time I was there, there was a nice old Italian-Scottish cafe serving good coffee, fry-ups & ice-cream. The place was full of character/characters & when a police car drew-up at the door, there was a near stampede as half the customers headed for the fire-escape! Then a small WPC ambled-in, said hello to the ladies behind the counter & wandered about the place giving the remaining patrons a stern stare. She stopped to take a good long-look at me! :eek:

Don't think they are that used to strangers these days, or maybe my Greenock side of the family looks showed? :D

The HMS Dasher Memorial is there as well. Remembering one of the Navy's biggest-ever disasters when the aircraft carrier blew-up & sunk with great loss of life nearby.

http://www.johnsteele.free-online.co.uk/secrets.htm

3. kupsch

kupsch New Member

i always get off at johnstone too, never been curious to go to ardrossan tbh...

4. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

Fairly sure my daughter thought Ardrossan was nice. She went out with a lad from that area. Got good beaches iirc, I could ask her for more details if you like.

5. pogofish

I'd say it is worth a visit, especially as so many of the other former Clyde resort/industrial-towns are now redeveloped into dead dormitory towns or marina/granny-farm type places.

See another aspect of Scotland before it is gone forever.

I suppose the factory that once made most of the UK's production of Epsom Salts is long gone? That is quite an association for any town - Generations have shit themselves senseless thanks to Ardrossan! :D

6. forked brain

forked brain Banned Banned

:D

7. pogofish

equationgirl and quimcunx like this.
  8. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

i miss that avatar :/ anyone still in touch with ich bin? how the fuck is he?

9. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

I've got him on Facebook, he's grand :)

10. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

11. heinous seamus

heinous seamus til clay-cauld death shall blind my ee

I once got a fish supper in Ardrossan with 3 pieces of fish :eek:

equationgirl likes this.