Thin Lizzy: LET IT ROCK!

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by editor, Sep 1, 2004.

1. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

seeformiles likes this.
  2. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

First big gig I went to about 1982 - King’s Hall in Belfast. Brilliant! (Always have a warm place in my heart for Lizzy)

Sprocket. likes this.
  3. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

Ah Hot Press - my friend knew the editor and let U2 kip on her floor (they were being interviewed about 1982) and Bono ate all her biscuits- but Adam Clayton did get her royally stoned.

krtek a houby likes this.
  4. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

B-side from 1980

5. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

I picked this up in Sainsbury's the other week for 3 quid!

[​IMG]

And it's pretty much the perfect Lizzy starter kit, even if it's only got the radio edit of WITJ.

It also got me thinking: were Thin Lizzy Ireland's Beatles? I think they're that important, in the Irish context at least.

Here's Chinatown (not on the above):

Pickman's model likes this.
  6. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

I heard this on the radio for the first time the other day. Didn't know they did low-key funky things. Turns out they were fucking great at it:

PippinTook, Chilli.s and editor like this.
  7. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

Haven't heard that in ages, great sounds of the 70s.

Voley likes this.
  8. Voley

It's a belter isn't it? Did they do anything else like that or was it a one-off? I only know them from the obvious Chinatown/Killer On The Loose sort of stuff.

9. Voley

Intro reminds me of The Beastie Boys doing their best 70's Curtis Mayfield thing:

Chilli.s likes this.
  10. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

I have (cd s) Jailbreak and Live and Dangerous that get played every now and then. Had to resist ordering up Nightlife after listening to this today.

Voley likes this.
  11. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

Check out Johnny The Fox meets Jimmy The Weed. Not quite as chilled as Showdown, but along similar lines. I guess it's possible that Johnny is the same person in both songs.

Voley, Chilli.s and PippinTook like this.
  12. Voley

Oh yeah that's got the same sort of feel Chilli.s ta. If someone had told me that Thin Lizzy had a couple of funky-ish tunes, my instant reaction would've been 'Avoid. I've heard Led Zep try reggae.' But both of those are great.

Is that Gary Moore on guitar then? I might have to revise my opinion of him. I always thought he was a right wanker.

Chilli.s likes this.
  13. clandestino

No, it was still the Brian Robertson, Scott Gorham line up - the classic line up really. Both great players.

Chilli.s and Voley like this.
  14. clandestino

From the wiki page on the album:

"'Johnny the Fox meets Jimmy the Weed' was really the only song that Lizzy did in a funk style…" noted Scott Gorham. "Phil Lynott was a huge fan of The O'Jays and their song 'For the Love of Money'. At every soundcheck, he'd be playing that funky riff… Once we'd found that riff, we just went for it. The whole thing really took off when Brian Downey sat down and put his personal funk take on it with the drums… And these characters – Johnny the Fox and Jimmy the Weed – they were real people. They were from the Manchester area, where Phil's mom had her hotel… They were part of a gang of cultured thieves… They weren't drug dealers, like it says in the lyrics for the song… But they were pretty heavy guys, yet they were real funny, so you couldn't help but like them."

Voley likes this.
  15. Voley

Ta clandestino. I really like the guitar break at the end of Showdown. Reminds me of one of those laidback ones Hendrix did that crop up on those odds and ends compilations. I'm glad it's not Gary Moore. :D

16. clandestino

Ah, Showdown was demo-ed with Gary Moore - but don't think they used that version for the LP.

17. clandestino

18. billbond

billbond Well-Known Member

saw them at Hammersmith many years ago

Lynott and the band were fantastic

19. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

Replies to 2004... great band live, but not those songs! With the exception of Jailbreak they are exactly the ones I'd skip on the cd.
    On the other hand, Emerald, Fools Gold, Massacre, Roisin Dubh and if you want something poppy, Do Anything You Wanna Do.

20. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

They were in a gang called Quality Street. The hotel was actually the The Whalley Range pub. Geres Jimmy the Weed with a gold disc of the record
    [​IMG]

Theres a lot of mythology about the Quality Street Gang but members were still powerful enough in the 90s (with Paul Massey and the Noonans) to try and broker a ceasefire between the rival Moss Side gangs.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The Quietus | Features | Anniversary | Thin Lizzy: Live And Dangerous 40 Years On

Idris2002 likes this.
  22. Rosemary Jest

Rosemary Jest Wrong and Unstable

Didn't Lizzy have a side project called Funky Junction that brought out and album in the early 70's?

Think it was covers but can't remember, will have to look it up.

Edit: it was some bizarre deep purple covers album featuring the then 3 members of Lizzy from 1973, never heard it but sounds intriguing! :thumbs:

23. Wilf

Fuck, I owned that album! One of the first I ever bought, largely because it was cheap, about 50p iirc.

Rosemary Jest likes this.
  24. Rosemary Jest

Rosemary Jest Wrong and Unstable

Was it any good? Gonna have a listen tomorrow if it's on youtube or spotify.

25. Wilf

Yep, it's on youtube:

I vaguely remember getting a similar album, Hendrix tribute perhaps, same label maybe. They sound like you might expect, very able musicians doing covers, but with very limited studio time/polish. Whole think rehearsed and recorded in 1 day according to wiki.

I think I was pretty impressed when I bought it as a 12 year old - and then my mates started taking the piss because it wasn't the original artists. I probably got rid of it. The idiocy/insecurity of youth. :(