Thin Lizzy: LET IT ROCK!

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by editor, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Juice Terry

Juice Terry rama lama fa fa fa

Fucking hell, Hanoi Rocks! That brings back memories, saw them 3 or 4 times live (its all a bit hazy), Reading for sure and possibly the marquee, best of all was a gig at the Lyceum probably one of my best concerts ever.

Had tickets for their next gig when Razzle got killed, probably still got them in a box somewhere as I was too distraught to get a refund at the time.

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Well I'm sure you have.
    But we're talking about rock, not your favourite bands.

Did you ever see Thin Lizzy play?

3. Major Tom

Major Tom Mentalist Wierdo RIP

I've heard their records - that was enough for me.

I only answered his question :(

4. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Depends where you saw them IMO. I saw them several times doing warm-up/one-off gigs, in a small club & twice in a large concert hall where the lightshow/set was more important to their show (Chinatown & Renegade tours). The club gigs were outstanding wheras the biger shows were a good bit less exciting. Lizzy were at their best RIGHT up against the audience :)

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

My question was:
    You've never seen them play so how could you possibly know if other bands were 'better' or not?

6. Major Tom

Major Tom Mentalist Wierdo RIP

For all I know - in that case - the Wurzels may be the greatest live band - but since they've never made a live album I can't tell.

However I've heard a Thin Lizzy live album and my contention is that they could only be the greatest live band if you like that sort of thing.

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Indeed. So perhaps you'd best refrain from posting up on a thread asking you to compare their live performances with others, no?

I've been to seen bands I thought I didn't like and been blown away by their live act. Haven't you?

8. LDR

LDR kiwitanga

So have I. Kid Rock is the one that stands out for me. I was given a couple of free tickets and I almost didn't bother going. I'm glad I did, as it was one of the best gigs of my live.

9. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

see the (latest) beatles thread (can we have a YAWN smiley?) and it will explain a lot about major tom

anyway i'm not going into that cesspit and feel at home with music lovers on this thread which brings me to that fine pair of ears that belong to LD.....that Kid Rock gig was absolutely something else wasn;t it?

10. rorymac

rorymac Well-Known Member

'The Rocker' is my favourite Thin Lizzy song and Eric Bell was/is a wicked guitarist. Phil Lynott was a total star IMO.

11. Tort

Tort Well-Known Member

Many times but Talk Talk stand out for some reason. Got free tickets & wasn't going to bother but was bloody glad I did.

12. Idris2002

Idris2002 incels to the gulag

Anyhoo, I dug out Lizzy's Jailbreak yesterday, and played it at Gas Mark 10.

And indeed, it fucking rocked.

But as my youngest bro said to me once, Jailbreak the song is slightly on the daft side.

'Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak, somewhere in this town'.

At the jail, maybe?

13. Hawkeye Pearce

Hawkeye Pearce We're your friends man...

Bought the best of yesterday :cool: Man those tunes rock! Gotta love Whiskey in the Jar.

14. 2 Hardcore

2 Hardcore mad old bat

I wasn't really a fan until I was dragged along by a boyfriend to see them play at the Capitol (Cardiff - ed - didn't you go?? ;) ) circa 1974/5. It was when Gary Moore was with them - I thought he was far better than in later years, when he was solo - and Phil Lynott - well, what can you say - one of those people who really comes into their own when appearing live.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I didn't just go that gig - I hand drew the tickets!

Me and my mate couldn't get tickets so I borrowed a friend's ticket and then drew two copies, using a razor blade to create the serrated stub.

With more front than Brighton pier, we strode up to the door at he Cardiff Capitol and miraculously both got in OK on these highly dodgy tickets.

The tough part was milling about and trying to find a spare seat before the inevitable mad rush to mosh out at the front.

But I still can't believe I had the brass to bluff into a gig with a ticket that looked like this!

[​IMG]

My mate hung about outside the stage door and got to meet Lizzy afterwards. They were so impressed with his tale of bare faced cheek that they signed his ticket!

16. pilchardman

pilchardman Dances With Penguins

I'd like it put on record that my Nazareth name-check was a joke. I saw them once at a festival, and they were so bad that even the cops who were busting my mate for a wee bit of hash he had gave up the bust and left the field in tears.

17. rorymac

You made some of that up I fancy :cool:

18. pilchardman

pilchardman Dances With Penguins

Only the bit about the tears.

19. rorymac

Well I can never believe anything you say ever again ... thousands and thousands of your posts I've read .. and you just made them all up.
    It's a bit devastating to be fair.
    Hey ...what about the 'Don't believe a word' riff ?
    Fuckin magic or what? Metallica copied that riff about 300 times the thieving fuckin capitalists.
    They disguised it a bit to be fair. :cool:
    I don't want to know your opinion on this porky pie pilchardman :mad:

xx

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh yes. Well worth giving a ten-year kick to the thread,

*headbangs

Ax^ and pogofish like this.
  21. cesare

cesare don't mourn, organise!

Coincidentally I've just put Whisky In The Jar on my phone as my alarm ring.

Pickman's model likes this.
  22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Good call.

MOAR:

23. Idris2002

Idris2002 incels to the gulag

They were one of those groups that had a lot of great numbers a lot of people don't remember:

copliker and jakethesnake like this.
  24. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

I had Jailbreak blaring in the car just yesterday! :D

cesare likes this.
  25. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

There should be a seperate forum for old folk. U75 is getting there!

SaskiaJayne likes this.
  26. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

They only did one good song.
    It is a corker though.

27. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

I'll name that tune in 3.

28. Limerick Red

Limerick Red Мы вас похороним!

29. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Literally over the moon

wasnt Midge Ure drafted into a Lizzy USA tour when Robertson went AOL cos of the piss ?

30. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Literally over the moon

"Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak
    Somewhere in this town..."

I wonder if it might be at the jail perhaps ?

purves grundy likes this.