1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THEE HYPNOTICS

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by trevhagl, Jul 8, 2012.

1. trevhagl

trevhagl Famous author , company CEO

got a 7" in a job lot of recs and it's got a Thee Hypnotics stamp on white labels with no pic sleeve, anyone know what this is and did it come in a PS?

2. butchersapron

butchersapron bring back hanging

This?

And a fucking fantastic song.

3. Divisive Cotton

Divisive Cotton Now I just have my toy soldiers

i used to love that track

4. Casual Observer

Casual Observer Well-Known Member

I thought Justice In Freedom was 12" only. I therefore reckon the mystery 7" single could be their very first record - Love In Vain/All Night Long. Not a bad record if I remember correctly. They were quite good to begin with, although hugely derivative obviously. Probably peaked with their early singles and EPs before the first album came out.

5. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

They were good. Saw them at that Mutoid Waste squatted fire station in Waterloo which is now a poncey wine bar.

6. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

good band, first uk act on sub pop.

singer jim is now enjoying a bit of succes with 'jim jones review'. guitarist ray is still recovering from thee hypnotics' shenanigans and rarely sees the sun. when he leaves his flat he is a great guy though.

7. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

Saw them play at ULU iirc, must have been 1988 or '89

8. Voley

Voley I sent for juice. You give me poison.

They were very good when I saw them supporting someone at Brixton Academy once. So good I can't remember who the headliner was. Once they got a good repetitive thing going live they'd stick with it for ages. I like bands that can pull that off.

9. trevhagl

its defo a 7" this one , had a listen and on one side its mainly instrumental and when he does start singing its hard to hear , made out the odd "C'mon" and on the other side there's lyrics like "show me the way now , Show me a sign"

10. butchersapron

Justice in freedom had a hand-stamped no cover 7" white label - click the link i put in to see this - and then see if either side sounds like the vid DC put up. Simple.

11. Casual Observer

Casual Observer Well-Known Member

Sounds like you've got hold of a very rare 7" of Britney Spears "Kiss me baby one more time".

Joshing aside, Thee Hypnotics' Soul Trader single also came out on 7" as well. I seem to remember a bit of "C'mon" urging in that song as well.

12. trevhagl

ta for info ,its similar but that video has vocals up front , the record has the vocals hidden behind the wall of noise , does that sound like Soul Trader?

the record is white label with hypnotics logo stamp on one side

13. trevhagl

looks like it's Soul Trader , anyone know if the pic sleeve version also had a handstamped label?

14. purves grundy

purves grundy ambient clown remix

Ah I really enjoyed some of their stuff :) got me all wistful

15. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

ha has trevhagl finally found a record worth more than 99p in one of these job lots!!

16. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

Great band!

17. trevhagl

here's hoping!

18. butchersapron

Re-union in the pipe line says jim jones on mark riley

19. badseed

badseed Mighty but thin.

I saw them supporting Gaye Bykers, not too shabby as I recall.

20. butchersapron

I doubt Jim Jones could do a shabby guff if he tried.

Edit: shabby gig! Bloody phone. I'm not that big a fan.

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 12:14 PM
  21. Smangus

Smangus comatose at a desk

Saw them a couple of times back in 89/90, can't remember where but all I can think of is smoke black leather and sunglasses. Got some albums somewhere.