The Young Offenders

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by telbert, Feb 23, 2018.

1. telbert

telbert Do you like sponge?

Anyone seen this ? Spin off series from the 2016(?) fillum .Cork based shenanigans that's brilliantly funny with great characters and very clever writing. Episodes 1,2 & 3 downloadable now on iplayer.Well worth watching.

passenger, PippinTook and Badgers like this.
  2. Leafster

Leafster From the FRow

Yes, I saw the film on Netflix a while ago and recently spotted the TV series on iplayer. I've enjoyed all of it although I found the Cork accent a little tricky to begin with.

Badgers likes this.
  3. heinous seamus

heinous seamus til clay-cauld death shall blind my ee

I liked the film. Didn't realise this series was related - will give it a watch.

4. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

I think its brilliant!
    Very funny and witty but also brings a tear to the eye at times. :)

danski and PippinTook like this.
  5. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

Series 1 episode 1

Series 1 episode 2

Series 1 episode 3

Series 1 episode 4

Series 1 episode 5

Love them... :D

6. fucthest8

fucthest8 Forward ever

The film was brilliant, the TV show is a little bit more hit-and-miss, but great all the same. As kittyP said, quite emotional at times as well, excellent portrayal of friendship, growing up and what are essentially a pair of hapless berks just trying to get by.

danski, Leafster and kittyP like this.
  7. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

Ooo - I did watch the film but had no idea there was something new on iplayer, nice one!

8. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

I love it.

9. Poot

Poot Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk

It occurred to me that I've never heard a Cork accent before - that was a surprise!

10. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

Loads of Cork people were indentured labourers on the Jamaican plantations before or during the early slavery days. All that Ting is Irish!

Mr.Bishie and Poot like this.
  11. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I'm up to episode 4 now, which I think is the best so far (the one where they buy a new fridge). Like others, it took me about half an episode to adapt to the accents, but once you do it's got some lovely touches.