The workers aren't loving it! Staff at Mc Donald's vote to strike for better pay and conditions.

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by tim, Aug 19, 2017.

1. tim

tim Well-Known Member

So staff at two branches have voted to strike to get fixed contracts and a £10.00 an hour minimum salary. Excellent news, let's hope other branches join and we see justice for the Comrades working in our biggest High Street food retailer.

McDonald's could face first UK strikes - BBC News

Remember of course that these bastards shit on their workers worldwide.

[​IMG]

2. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

Good luck to them, solidarity.

UrbaneFox, muscovyduck, Almor and 8 others like this.
  3. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

Death to ronald and up the workers.

UrbaneFox, Poi E, muscovyduck and 7 others like this.
  4. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

I'm unsure of the detail here (don't know if the £10 an hour's been won) but Hungry For Justice are reporting a victory already:

5. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

Not sure why but I thought McDs was a franchise type gig. I'm all for people being paid more, good luck to them.

krtek a houby and Badgers like this.
  6. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Some restaurants are directly owned by the company others are franchises.

pogofish, Almor, Badgers and 4 others like this.
  7. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Have you seen how ridiculously inclusive their advertising campaigns try to be? These are some sick mother fuckers that lie about how amazing it is to work for them. Bastards.

I'll try and find one to post here.

J Ed likes this.
  8. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Maharani likes this.
  9. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Not fully read up on this but to be fair to the evil capitalists they seem to have resolved this quickly. If so a damn sight quicker than most corporates?

10. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

From what I can see this has barely even started never mind being resolved. WHy do you think its resolved? because of this>>>?

for clarity i dont think this tweet is about this dispute - i think it refers to a longer running issue to guarantee numbers of hours.
    How do you know what they can or cant afford to pay or not?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    crossthebreeze likes this.
  11. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Ok, I'll reword that.

They won't submit to £10 an hour.

Sasaferrato and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  12. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

They announced in April that any worker who requested it could get guarateed hours - but they didn't actually tell most of their staff.

And of course they can afford £10 an hour, they've already given in to the equivalent demand in New Zealand.

13. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Sure they can afford it. They can afford a lot more. But I've made no previous comment on what they can or can't afford.

14. belboid

They've also submitted to it.

15. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

You mean in NZ?

Badgers likes this.
  16. belboid

17. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Got any links?

According to this McD's New Zealand crew members average $13.41/hour (about £7.60), against a national adult minimum wage of around $15 (not all their crew members are adults).

The above figures may be a year or so out of date but I can't find anything suggesting they've changed that much.

18. belboid

19. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I think you've misread that.

That says Unite achieved a $15/hour minimum wage in NZ. In New Zealand dollars that's the equivalent of £7.60, and McD's crew members don't average minimum wage because many are youngsters. I think you're confusing it with US dollars referred to elsewhere in the Guardian piece about the American Fight for 15 campaign, where $15 is currently the equivalent of £11.62 (and even there it's a campaign hope rather than the current reality).

It certainly doesn't say McD's pay their NZ staff £10/hour minimum.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  20. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

bemused likes this.
  21. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

And what happened to my first post on this thread (the one Ska Invita quoted in post #10)?

:confused:

Pickman's model likes this.
  22. belboid

$15 seems to be the rate the union considered to be equivalent (wage comparisons based on the rate of exchange are always a bit dubious), and a raise of some 20%, so not miles away from the 30% they want here.

It's from another thread - the 'Why do you want to close down McDonalds' one

23. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

Clicking the little arrow in the quote (next to your name) takes me to a post on the other thread.

Pickman's model and Spymaster like this.
  24. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Nah. $15 is the national minimum wage, not the McDonalds minimum wage.

That's nowhere near McD's having previously submitted to a minimum wage demand of the equivalent of £10 an hour anywhere in the world. Also, as you can see from the Glassdoor survey the average Kiwi crew member wage is still a fair bit less than the $15 national adult minimum. Nothing posted so far points to any precedent of industrial action being successful at McDonalds.

Still, we'll see. Good luck to them, but I think it's an enormous leap that won't happen in a month of Sundays.

Pickman's model likes this.
  25. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Cheers.

Pickman's model and Badgers like this.
  26. Sparkle Motion

Sparkle Motion Well-Known Member

My history may be murky here, but McDonald's in Cambridge shouldn't really exist. For years the council refused every planning application they made, on the grounds of not wanting them in the city. So McDonald's simply bought an existing restaurant and converted it.

27. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

28. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

They won't as £10 would put their workers on more money then many people doing more "skilled" jobs. On a 40 hour week it be a bit over 20k. Whilst I agree everyone should be getting at least that, it's isn't going to happen.

29. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

not with just two branches on strike, no. But this issue isn't going away - things can only get worse for low paid workers. I think its likely this strike is the tip of a coming iceberg

NoXion, BigTom, Almor and 4 others like this.
  30. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

Some horror stories from that No Logo book back in the day. I guess they haven't improved much. Missus worked in a busy branch many years back, must ask if it was shit.

This is a very good thing, btw. And I hope more follow suit.