The Who - hope I die before I get old

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by hash tag, Jan 29, 2019.

1. hash tag

hash tag member

Is anyone thinking of going to see them this summer or, if like me, do you just feel the two remainers are past it?
    I have just tried to look to see how much tickets are and I can't. So annoyed that I will get priority booking by preregistering for their new album :mad:
    I gather, and they say this will not detract from the overall effect, that they will be supported by lots of strings and horns - though I guess it's a way of adding some power. For goodness sake, the Who were a proper rock band, a band that blasted out numbers, had fights and were a 4 piece band.
    They smashed up stage kit, hotels Etc. That was the Who, that is how they should be, not two old geezers with zimmer frames....time to move on guys.
    loved you back then.....

BassJunkie, OzT and dessiato like this.
  2. dessiato

dessiato I have earned the right to sing the blues

People try to put 'em down.

3. dessiato

Whatever the price for tickets it'll be a bargain, the best you've ever had. Until the song is over, love ain't for keeping.

editor and hash tag like this.
  4. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

I have seen The Who many times in the past 25 years, and when I saw saw them 2 years ago I said that would be the last.

They had pretty much run their course as a live act and their new material isn't up to much. Good luck to 'em, but I am out.

5. Nanker Phelge

...and they have about 20 fucking musicians on stage these days and still didn't make the same racket as a four piece...

6. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist R.I.P.

Never heard of them

friedaweed and Fez909 like this.
  7. Nanker Phelge

It was 1989 when I first saw them.....30 fucking years!

8. dessiato

Never heard of who? (Somebody was going to do it)

9. editor

editor hiraethified

Quadrophenia remains one of my favourite-ever albums. I can't say I'd want to see them play it live now though.

mod, Sprocket., littleseb and 3 others like this.
  10. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

There's always dignitas

Argonia likes this.
  11. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

I'd only go and see the who if they had the original line-up, which I'm told won't happen any time soon

12. hash tag

hash tag member

Keefy could pretty much have done that by himself, bless.
    I know where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news ;)

13. Voley

Voley Ramoner

I've never got to see them and would like to before they finally call it a day. I wouldn't go expecting 'Live At Leeds' though.

Judelo likes this.
  14. Voley

Voley Ramoner

I've got the 40th anniversary version of 'Live At Leeds' on now because of this thread. My God it still sounds good.

15. hash tag

hash tag member

Voley sorry mate, my advice would be don't go.
    Two dead and two fogies alive but well past it. It will not be the Who as we knew and loved em.
    They sort of stopped existing for me when we lost Keef.

16. dessiato

There's no substitute. They join together, and the kids are alright anyway, anyhow, anywhere. You better you bet. I can't explain.

17. dessiato

Serious bit.

I used to drink in the pub Keith drank in. It's where I got to know one of their friends and session musicians. Can't remember his real name, we called him Swiss John.

18. hash tag

hash tag member

I saw him and Reed pissed and larking about at the Plough, Coldharbour (Dorking) one night many moons ago.
    I think reed lived quite nearby.

dessiato likes this.
  19. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist R.I.P.

Entwistle certainly went out in style - Hotel, mountain of coke, prostitutes etc

20. hash tag

hash tag member

Mrs tag tells me I have not taken her to see them. That means I have not seen them for 20 or so years :eek:
    I have braved all weathers for them, seem them in venues big and small, indoors and out. Honest. And posed for photos in Quadrophenia Alley ( Brighton):thumbs:

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  21. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

I remember thinking I'd missed my chance when I didn't go to see them on their farewell tour in 1981 :D Even then I was aware that they were past their best.

22. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

Walkin’ down the street.

dessiato likes this.
  23. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

I saw them back in the 60's, loved their first album My Generation but not keen on other stuff they did.
    I wouldn't personally be interested in seeing them now.

24. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

I saw them at Wembley Stadium...maybe 1979. I saw something recently but Daltrey's voice was shot to ribbons. Maybe it was a bad day.

hash tag likes this.
  25. hash tag

hash tag member

Looking at this from a slightly different angle....i am booked to go and see a younger band soon, IE Metallica. For me, I reckon they are getting past it. I'm sure that they won't have the rawness and energy that they had say 10 or 15 years ago.

26. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

Im a massive who fan - but never saw the classic line up. I saw them about three years ago at the leeds arena. They were pretty good but not amazing, Daltrey's voice was in decent shape and townshend is still aggressive and brilliant with his guitar playing. But all the other instruments takes a lot of the edge off. The Who were one of - possibly the best - exponents of the Guitar/Bass/Drums power trio - which, if you have the right musicians, gives incredible sonic scope and dynamism in the music - Live at Leeds is an incredible noise - its like beethoven or something. Extra musicians gives you more texture - but you lose space, expressiveness and dynamism.
    I saw Sabbath around the same time and they kept it guitar bass drums + Ozzy and they were excellent.
    The Who should do the same - sure its not going on a par as when moon and entwistle were in their pomp - but Starkey and Palladino are pretty decent replacements. Stick to the classic Who tear up and forget about all the orchestration and extra session musicians. It would be better all around.
    Trouble is Townshend has never been entirely happy doing what the who were best at and was always wanting to add complexity to the mix. Its admirable that he never wanted to stay in the comfort zone - but this approach hasn't produced anything fruitful since - Quadrophenia in 1973 (and that's still overswamped with synths). Orchestral arrangement of rock music just doesn't work cos ultimately its not compatable.

27. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Like others posting above, I've never seen them live either. I was determined to do so at Glastonbury 2007, but given that this was the worst Pilton mudbath almost ever**, :( , and that I was in a shit mood anyway by the Sunday night, I thought 'Gimme Shelter' instead ;)

**conditions started bad and got increasingly worse throughout G2007 .... as I've posted before, I wasn't far off giving up on the bloody thing for good :mad: after that fest, but then I met festivaldeb later that summer, and we got G-jobs, and the weather improved a lot in most subsequent years :thumbs:

But now, I just don't fancy orchestration, and the tickets this time around are pretty bloody expensive.

So I think I'll content myself with digging out Live at Leeds again soon :) -- I haven't listened to that for years < :mad: at self + :oops: >

If they ever return to Glastonbury though (unlikely but not 100% impossible), I'd get along however muddy! :D

Sprocket. likes this.
  28. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

the way entwistle and moon combine on this is just extraordinary.

Sprocket. and hash tag like this.
  29. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral. R.I.P.

The Who's time was over 30+ years ago for me. They were great once upon a time and 60's and 70's tunes will always be played by me, but I was simply born too late to want a The Who live experience.

hash tag likes this.
  30. hash tag

hash tag member

For those of you who have not had the pleasure, may I present Roger, Jon, Pete n Keith, live at the valley (Jon is the quiet shy retiring one with beard :D)

weltweit and Kaka Tim like this.