The Virtues: Shane Meadows

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by D'wards, May 15, 2019 at 8:36 PM.

1. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

This looks ace. Shane Meadows is my favourite director- he gets the English working classes in a way a dozen Mike Leigh's or Ken Loach's never could (as great as they are)

Apart from Once Upon a Time in the Midlands everything he's done has been superb. This Is England series is some of the best television we've ever produced, particularly TIE 88.

Plus Stephen Graham is going from strength to strength.

Starts tonight 15 may at 9pm on channel 4

Miss-Shelf, Mr.Bishie, Shirl and 6 others like this.
  2. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Fishing in the River of Life....

Excellent work in the past. I will be watching this.

Grace Johnson and D'wards like this.
  3. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Fishing in the River of Life....

Stephen Graham is becoming a very believable character actor.

I mentioned on the Line of Duty thread. About This is England,
    His scene as Combo when Lol visits him in prison is one of the most heart rending things I have ever watched.

Miss-Shelf, Nikkormat, Shirl and 3 others like this.
  4. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

I’ve been looking forward to it. I always like the way he manages to mix really dark stuff with bits of comedy.

Once Upon A Time In The Midlands isn’t quite in the same league, but I still like it :D

Agree about Stephen Graham. Those bits with Combo/Lol in TIE were amazing tv. Not quite the same, but he’s worth watching in Boardwalk Empire too.

5. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Agree about Shane Meadows. I hate Ken Loach. That I Daniel Blake was fucking sentimental bollocks. Embarrassment. Made me angry. Meadows gets it, and This is England was superb. I’ll look forward to this.

6. D'wards

That was grim but brilliant. Throughly enjoyed it, if that's the right sentiment.

Stephen Graham is fantastic in the role

7. D'wards

And Sinbad should just have sold him the flipping ticket...

8. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

just watching on catch up

like it atm

got a whiff of dead mens shoes just from the last few minutes
    but that could just be me

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 11:01 PM
  9. Part 2

Part 2 bizarre wanking accident

I'm not a massive fan of Stephen Graham, he sometimes takes some shit parts, (or rather his wife picks them for him as he's dyslexic so she reads the scripts apparently). Walk Like a Panther, The Watchman, Little Boy Blue are things I can think of where I just thought oh here we go again. I haven't seen Yardie but saw him in the trailer and it looked pretty awful.

This was another level, very brave TV imo and brilliant directing from Shane Meadows who obvs gets the best out of SG. My friend said she wasn't enjoying it and I reckon loads of people will think nothing happened because the story isn't spelt out to them and the pace of it is slow and allows you to think. I can imagine Line of Duty watchers who've tuned in thinking 'wtf is this, when will Basil Exposition come along to tell me the whole plot'.

Also the soundtrack was ace. Can't wait for next week.

Grace Johnson, Ax^ and neonwilderness like this.
  10. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

11. neonwilderness

Yeah for an hour long episode there wasn’t a lot of story. Most of Shane Meadows’ stuff builds up slowly though.

The pub scene where he goes on one was great acting but equally awful to watch.

12. neonwilderness

13. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I have a lot of time for PJ Harvey but her songs all very samey these days IMO.

14. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Funnily enough i was watching A Room for Romeo Brass last night. Love Shane Meadows. Definitely watching this.

Grace Johnson likes this.
  15. circleline

circleline Well-Known Member

A promising, if slow-burning, start. Have a great love and admiration for any improvisation-based drama and loved to recognise and acknowledge this method in The Virtues. In particular, the pub landlord 'having a word' in the pub toilets: soaked in bollocks banality; a truly brilliant virtuoso performance that could never be enhanced by being scripted.

Much to admire. Really looking forward to a decent series.

16. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

I have to disagree there. Completely different styles between meadows and loach of course. But anybody caught up in the benefits systems these days will have felt the pain that the characters went through. It was completely real the dialogue in the JC.
    It also highlighted food banks, the west end of Newcastle being probably the most accessed in the UK. Call it sentimental, but anything that can sway people from thinking that people who sign on or are dole scroungers or disability fakers is a good thing in my book.

Saffy, Lupa, Epona and 8 others like this.
  17. Humberto

Humberto forsooth

Both are great. That was the best of the Graham/Meadows combo though. No idea where it is going. Great stuff though.

Ax^, Lupa, Grace Johnson and 2 others like this.
  18. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

Ooh I'll watch this. I love Shane Meadows. I remember being totally blown away by A Room for Romeo Brass as I'd just never seen anything like it before.

19. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

I was expecting to like it when I sat down to watch it and I loved it. I think Stephen Graham is a superb actor. My tears started when he was talking to his son in the bedroom and the pub scene was brilliant and awful to watch at the same time.
    Extra special bonus for me was the Micah P Hinson track at the end, I've been a huge fan for years. He sang with his arm on my shoulder once at the Brudenell in Leeds.

20. neonwilderness

I've spoken with people involved with that particular food bank and apparently the film is a pretty accurate portrayal.

KL and SM are both good in their own ways, but their styles are vastly different.

Ax^ and Calamity1971 like this.
  21. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

The pub scene where he buys fake friendship and how it's brilliant and then shit was superbly observed. The ferry ticket stuff less so. The morning after scenes were horribly spot on as well.

I presume the flashbacks are going to take us to the church and abuse in his childhood but intrigued to see where this goes next.

neonwilderness and Grace Johnson like this.
  22. Mrs Miggins

I watched tonight and found it quite difficult to watch. He was so brilliantly devastated and empty. It really touched me.

Shirl, Sprocket. and neonwilderness like this.
  23. Mrs Miggins

I heard Stephen Graham talking about it on R4 this evening and the pub scene was filmed with regulars at the pub who'd been given a free bar for the afternoon before they started filming.

Ax^, Lucy Fur, muscovyduck and 5 others like this.
  24. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

I Daniel Blake is overrated but Ken Loach in general is a pretty awesome filmmaker.

The first episode of this was great, but I am a big Meadows fan.

25. D'wards

Can you recall what show this was Mrs Miggins

26. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

it's gonna be front row innit

Part 2 and D'wards like this.
  27. Mrs Miggins

Probably Front Row. It was on about 7/7.30 something like that.

Part 2 and D'wards like this.
  28. Mrs Miggins

It was only a short piece.

29. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

What else has he done?

I loved this btw. All of it felt real, and totally raw. The pub scene and the pissed street scenes were outstanding. And he’s a character you can feel for because you have some respect for him for the way he’s treating his lad and ex, rather than that cloying pity of Daniel Blake. Each to their own tho maybe Meadows characters just suit me more.

30. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

So, you have respect for a character who treats his ex and child well, but have none for a guy who's ill, has had his disability benefits stopped, can't navigate the new computer based claim bollocks, yet helps a woman who's been sanctioned and in desperate need. Tops up her gas and electricity even though he's in the same shit?
    It was a film that should never had to be made, yet here we are. I didn't see any self pitying in the film. I seen people struggling and trying to help each other in a community completely fucking bereft.

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 1:56 AM
    oryx and Orang Utan like this.