The Urban Poetry Challenge thread

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by ShiftyBagLady, Apr 2, 2014.

1. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

Register your interest people:
    Monthly challenge in which we write a poem based on (or inspired by) an agreed theme or topic or possibly style.
    Who's in? Any suggestions as to the rules?

sojourner likes this.
  2. ShiftyBagLady

wayward bob, Belushi and sojourner like this.
  3. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

Hurray!! Yep - I'm in! Shall we keep the competitive edge out of it altogether, and not have competitions? Just themes (and yes styles if people are up for it). I've got a list of prompts, or we could lift them from a site I know that is operating right now, which is this:
    http://fiftytwopoetry.wordpress.com/

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  4. sojourner

:cool::cool::thumbs:

5. ShiftyBagLady

6. ShiftyBagLady

Yeah, I reckon so, that's why I preferred to call it a challenge. Mainly because I personally dislike the idea of creative competitions...

Yeah, we could take a few from that site or take suggestions from posters if there's anything they really want to explore. I don't mind which.

sojourner likes this.
  7. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

I agree with this. 'Low competition,just a monthly theme and see what happens

sojourner likes this.
  8. sojourner

Greebo and ShiftyBagLady like this.
  9. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

all poetry is about sex, death or weather if you think about it :hmm:

;)

ShiftyBagLady likes this.
  10. ShiftyBagLady

'Sex, love and writing poems' according to my lecturers. And they've got a point...

sojourner likes this.
  11. el-ahrairah

el-ahrairah forward communism, forward gerbils!

go on then. i've been meaning to do some creative writing, this might be the kickstart i need.

12. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

anyone calling theme? April?

sojourner likes this.
  13. sojourner

Are we done with all the preliminaries then? Rules? We don't need no steenkin rules ;):D

Does anyone have a theme they'd like to write about?

14. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

I will try asnd contribute but I'm not making any promises, remembering how difficult it was to come up with things for previous writing threads :D

15. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

The theme is flesh. And the form is sonnet (classic or modern).

16. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

your mum is fleshy and modern.

ska invita likes this.
  17. sojourner

Do we have to do them together then? I thought the form thing would be fun to do every now and then, not as an obligatory part of each theme.

Edit: I'm just gonna write on the theme this time.

18. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

It would be a mistake to set form as well as subject imo, youre going to be pushed enough to get people to contribute anything as it is.

ShiftyBagLady and sojourner like this.
  19. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

i am surprised to see
    that none of the posts above me
    is written in rhyme
    it's a bloody crime

20. ShiftyBagLady

I was going to tag you (or whatever it is we call it when we draw posts to somebody's attention) as I thought you might have something to say about this. Are you going to write poems for us? Do.

21. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

i will commit my thoughts to verse
    although they may not scan
    but i'm sure you will read something worse
    at least that is my plan

22. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

I would love to join in....but I just writing what I loosely call poetry. Any subject is fine...but I would have no idea what a sonnet is, nor do I care what a sonnet is. If I did I would have stayed on in the sixth form, back in the day, if they had allowed me to, which they never...So you'll have to count me out I'm afraid, I just liked the idea of sharing what I pretend passes for poetry...

sojourner likes this.
  23. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

Fair enough, you could always put it on the urban writing thread, or poem of the day, or start another thread. :)

FWIW a sonnet is a poem of an expressive thought or idea made up of 14 lines, each being 10 syllables long. Its rhymes are arranged according to one of the schemes – Italian, where eight lines called an octave consisting of two quatrains which normally open the poem as the question are followed by six lines called a sestet that are the answer, or the more common English which is three quatrains followed by a rhyming couplet.

The Structure of a Sonnet Poem

ab ab, cdcd, efef, gg - English
    abba abba cdecde - Italian
    https://www.youngwriters.co.uk/types-sonnet

OTOH modern sonnets do not follow a specific pattern or rhyme scheme. They have the look and feel of free form poetry, but sonnets do have certain characteristics that classify them in that category. A sonnet is a way to express a narrative in a lyrical fashion. It is important that sonnets demonstrate a story-like progression. But while they tell their story, sonnets are lyrical and musical, brief and memorable.
    Modern sonnets do not follow a specific pattern or rhyme scheme. They have the look and feel of free form poetry, but sonnets do have certain characteristics that classify them in that category. A sonnet is a way to express a narrative in a lyrical fashion. It is important that sonnets demonstrate a story-like progression. But while they tell their story, sonnets are lyrical and musical, brief and memorable.
    http://students.english.ilstu.edu/ckerick/Repurposing/modernsonnet/definition.htm

Modern Sonnets do not follow a specific pattern or rhyme scheme. They have the look and feel of free form poetry, but Sonnets do have certain characteristics that classify them in that category. A Sonnet is a way to express a narrative in a lyrical fashion. It is important that Sonnets demonstrate a story-like progression. But while they tell their story, Sonnets are lyrical and musical, brief and memorable.

Modern Sonnets do not follow a specific pattern or rhyme scheme. They have the look and feel of free form poetry, but Sonnets do have certain characteristics that classify them in that category. A Sonnet is a way to express a narrative in a lyrical fashion. It is important that Sonnets demonstrate a story-like progression. But while they tell their story, Sonnets are lyrical and musical, brief and memorable.

el-ahrairah and ShiftyBagLady like this.
  24. Dulwich Mishi

Thanks for the explanation. To be perfectly honest I just try to write poetry because it's something enjoy. I'm sure I'm not the only 'urban poet' who wouldn't know what a sonnet was, nor want to spend too much time trying to write one, when I just like poetry. So best leave this thread to the educated classes, and exclude working class poets who just like writing...

25. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

:(

FWIW I do get where you're coming from; sometimes the writing of it is far closer to scratching a maddeningly insistent itch and letting something out, instead of spending ages wrestling something out of thin air just because you can (or have been told to).

ShiftyBagLady likes this.
  26. ShiftyBagLady

Dulwich Mishi that's bollocks: there'll be nothing elitist about this thread, if you ever wanted to just write for the joy of it then this is the place to be.
    Won't be offended if you don't want to of course, feel free to start your own thread or contribute to the poem of the day thread where I'm sure people will appreciate it.

Greebo and sojourner like this.
  27. Disjecta Membra

Disjecta Membra cashing reality checks but cant even pay atention.

i'll try and flesh out something for this.

28. sojourner

Nah - don't be like that. I have no fucking idea what a sonnet is either!

When I first suggested we might try form sometimes, I meant it as an informal exercise for those who wanted to try it, nothing obligatory or owt. And separate to actual themes.

I've already said I'm not going to try writing a sonnet, so come back in and let's enjoy just writing eh Dulwich Mishi ? :)

29. el-ahrairah

el-ahrairah forward communism, forward gerbils!

Plenty of working class poets on this thread Mishi, don't worry.

Greebo and sojourner like this.
  30. Dulwich Mishi

I am sure I will scribble down something...the problem is...once the pen starts working and the cogs in my head turning...I have no idea which direction! ;-)

el-ahrairah, sojourner and Greebo like this.