The Trouser Frustration Thread

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by Orang Utan, Mar 12, 2014.

1. monsterbunny

monsterbunny Well-Known Member

I really like that inner tube belt, gentlegreen. I'm so impressed that I'm going to snaffle your idea but using a plastic, quick release buckle. That belt is truly multifunctional. Apart from its fetish connotations; outside it can be used for emergency firelighting, tarp and tent repairs. I shall experiment.

Combats are great for spending time outdoors. Being able to stuff vital accessories like a phone, gps, keys, wallet, torch and map into a series of pockets reduces the need to rummage around in a bag. You can get some lower-profile civilian cuts in muted colours and stretchable poly-cotton fabrics that dry quickly.

gentlegreen likes this.
  2. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I flew somewhere recently, forgot to take my belt off for the metal detectors so had to take it off and be patted down ... I did say that without my belt my trousers would fall down.

They did!

gentlegreen likes this.
  3. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

I have a problem with trousers falling off my arse but I've realised it's mostly I need to wear higher cut ones and not ones that sit on the hip so much. This can be a problem as I have a largish waist but only medium sized hips. This is where lycra comes in.

4. dessiato

dessiato Mele Kalikimaka hauʻoli hou makahiki

But what about when you are jogging, or at the gym?

5. Casually Red

Casually Red tomorrow belongs to me

Because you arent wearing a belt. A gentleman should always wear a belt. Its essential apparel, even with the niftiest cut of slacks.

MadeInBedlam and dessiato like this.
  6. dessiato

dessiato Mele Kalikimaka hauʻoli hou makahiki

Mrs D said she hoped that you were wearing pants!

7. weltweit

Boxers :)
    Actually I just managed to reach down and grab my descending trousers before all was revealed :)

dessiato likes this.
  8. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Acceptable.

dessiato likes this.
  9. Orang Utan

But I always wear a belt

10. Casually Red

Casually Red tomorrow belongs to me

my apologies, Id thought you stated you didnt wear one as it interfered with your gentleman bits or something

11. Orang Utan

Oh no!

12. weltweit

I am going to buy a pair of corduroy trousers. I think I am mature enough to carry that look off now!

Maybe yellow, maybe red !!

:)

13. gentlegreen

gentlegreen sproutarian

You can get emergency inner tubes that are linear rather than circular - but even with my vast circumference I found I had to cut off a substantial length from a 26 inch tube.
    There are designs out there that actually use the valve as part of the buckle.

I got my finger out due to having purchased two canvas belts to match my combats and shorts that were so awful I can't believe anyone tried one on before they started manufacturing them.

terriblebelts.jpg

Not only are the twin pins a right pain, it's not really practicable to make new holes unless you have an eyelet kit- and the functionless eyelets already there have sharp edges that over time would almost certainly make holes in the trouser fabric.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  14. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

The belts that come with trousers are invariably rubbish and I always throw them away.

15. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

My trousers fit just fine.

Maybe you should consider a fleece tracksuit?

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  16. Orang Utan

Still having trouser problems
    Have gone up from a 36/38 to a 40/42 waist
    Having a pot belly poses problems for larger gentlemen. Buy keks that are far too tight but fit at the waist or buy a size up and then keep said keks up with a belt that causes more trouser problems. I'm guessing keks are always designed with a snake hipped youth in mind, as my keks don't have a waist to hang on, so I need the belt to keep them up. But it can only keep the keks up by being drawn too tight for the keks to look and feel right. Wearing a belt makes me feel like a tramp with a piece of string to save his dignity. I'm guessing the only solution is bespoke tailoring, but I can't afford that.

17. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

I share your pain. For work trousers I use Spoke as they do 35 inch waists, which is pretty much what I am. Generally I have to buy 36 inch waist jeans etc. Always too big. I'm actually quite slim, except for the beer belly, which means I have to buy bigger shirts/jackets than I generally am too, if that makes sense?

18. Sea Star

Sea Star peace and love; peace and love

Here's your answer
    992da7013af369087b3febce00446fde.jpg

19. Sea Star

Sea Star peace and love; peace and love

Or make a fashion statement!

534695001.jpg

fishfinger, Puddy_Tat and Orang Utan like this.
  20. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Sea star is right. Braces are the answer.

21. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

How many pairs do you have now?

Throbbing Angel likes this.
  22. Orang Utan

One