The Sultan's Elephant - arrives next Friday. LOOK AT THE SIZE OF IT! Blimey guv.

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by dogmatique, Apr 25, 2006.

1. fudgefactorfive

fudgefactorfive New Member

2. zenie

zenie >^^<

Has it gone away now? :(

3. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

4. rennie

rennie m'enfin!

I saw the elephant in full swing by St Jame's park on Friday. beuatiful! and great weather too! everyone was smiling... makes me appreciate living in London.

5. GarfieldLeChat

GarfieldLeChat fucking awesome but wrong

yup

6. zenie

zenie >^^<

Not even at Horseguards?

*wonders if they have taken it back to Battersea*

7. jæd

jæd Corporate Hooker

So theatre is rational and adult....? :rolleyes: Let me guess, this guy gets wound up by panto...

8. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

9. liberty

liberty Secret Smile

Brilliant pictures wish I could have seen it

10. girasol

girasol Ubuntu

11. crustychick

crustychick doo-woop-de-doo

That was amazing :)

Never seen anything as cool ever!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

said little zenie from behind the sofa :(

Top pics, Iemanja :) :cool:

13. girasol

girasol Ubuntu

thanks, I sent a pm yesterday to you all who were there on Saturday with the url for the photos, hope everyone got it, but just in case you didn't, I thought I'd post them again here... ;)

This must have been one of the most photographed events in London, a bit like the carnival in Notting Hill... ;)

14. Dubversion

Dubversion Gorn Enforced Holiday

eek! saw you as well, didn't i? sorry i didn't chat - i was already the middle venn diagram bit of three different social gatherings and in danger of losing them all.

bloody lovely, wasn't it? :)

15. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Same here, when the girl got into the rocket and waved farewell I found it incredibly moving. :oops:

I went every day and was so glad that I did. Been trying to explain to people today how amazing it was, but words failed me.

One of the things which made it so great was the complete lack of corporate sponsorship. If this was the Nokia Sultan's Elephant it wouldn't have been so special - well done to the Arts Council and Artichoke!

I have now forgiven the French for all their past cultural crimes. The slate is clean!

16. Nina

Nina muftysludge

shit, I can't believe I missed it. I didn't go cos it was raining. What a rubbish excuse :rolleyes:

Anyone would think I was made of sugar :mad:

17. crustychick

crustychick doo-woop-de-doo

yeah, no worries, i was in pretty much the same situation!!!

18. Stig

Stig Bull in a china shop

Wish you'd of said you was there!

19. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

20. girasol

girasol Ubuntu

I don't think I've ever been so wet in all my life (well, I have but I was swimming)...

Next time, hey? ;)

21. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

I've got some video here

22. girasol

girasol Ubuntu

23. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

"Ca..."
    "Yes. It's an elephant, Rolf." :rolleyes:

:D

24. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

I remember being more transfixed by this man than the elephant :oops: ;)

[​IMG]

25. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

Reposting one that went with the wobble...

That' just an internal Guardian office row aired in public. A silly side-effect of their setting up blogs.

Lyn Gardner did an ecstatic rant about the elephant that appeared on the front page of the Elephant Echo freebie - and another in the Guardian.

From the first:

Michael Billington, by contrast, sees himelf as the, er, guardian of the tradition of the darkened room. Simple :)

26. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

'Nother quote from Lyn Gardner:

Not in fact a steal from http://rts.gn.apc.org but it means I'm not the only one who's noticed a certain diffuse cultural lineage... free tabloid, cars stitched to streets, moments like the jannequin pis snuck in, even some semblance to this:

[​IMG]

27. Firky

You never noticed foamy? :(

28. Firky

I was more interested in people's reactions to it than the elephant! Kids standing open mouthed, rozzers twiddling thumbs, and the odd drunk homeless guy dancing.

[​IMG]

29. aurora green

aurora green Tectonic

I thought I saw a free newspaper! Although I totally missed the cars...

I did come over all familiar when the elephant first appeared on the street, the huge swathes of crowd surging this way and that, sent tingles down my spine...the total transformation of the space...suddenly the streets were for people...

I think you're dead right Laptop. Too many references to be co-incidental, yet essentially situationist in its' linaeage, just as with RTS.

30. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

I was really sorry to miss this! :( But I was on a train back from Oxford at the time :oops:

All the pics are excellent :) :cool: