Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Sultan's Elephant - arrives next Friday. LOOK AT THE SIZE OF IT! Blimey guv.

rennie

m'enfin!
I saw the elephant in full swing by St Jame's park on Friday. beuatiful! and great weather too! everyone was smiling... makes me appreciate living in London.

jæd

Corporate Hooker
Guardian said:
Whatever happened to adult scepticism and rationality? For me The Sultan's Elephant is simply a spectacular irrelevance to the real business of theatre.
So theatre is rational and adult....? :rolleyes: Let me guess, this guy gets wound up by panto...

liberty

Secret Smile
Stig said:
That was brilliant! really really glad I went.

Photos

Only a few, as I wanted to watch, not take photos!

(they're in reverse order for some reason, the elephant started in piccadilly at the bottom, then the girl woke up in the park, met up with the elephant and then they got her into the rocket for blast-off at the top.)
Brilliant pictures wish I could have seen it

girasol

Ubuntu
Mation said:
said little zenie from behind the sofa :(

Top pics, Iemanja :) :cool:
thanks, I sent a pm yesterday to you all who were there on Saturday with the url for the photos, hope everyone got it, but just in case you didn't, I thought I'd post them again here... ;)

This must have been one of the most photographed events in London, a bit like the carnival in Notting Hill... ;)

Dubversion

Gorn
Enforced Holiday
crustychick said:
That was amazing :)

Never seen anything as cool ever!

eek! saw you as well, didn't i? sorry i didn't chat - i was already the middle venn diagram bit of three different social gatherings and in danger of losing them all.

bloody lovely, wasn't it? :)

Maggot

The Cake of Liberty
gaijingirl said:
I nearly cried at one point.. it was so so good! I'm so glad I went!
Same here, when the girl got into the rocket and waved farewell I found it incredibly moving. :oops:

I went every day and was so glad that I did. Been trying to explain to people today how amazing it was, but words failed me.

One of the things which made it so great was the complete lack of corporate sponsorship. If this was the Nokia Sultan's Elephant it wouldn't have been so special - well done to the Arts Council and Artichoke!

I have now forgiven the French for all their past cultural crimes. The slate is clean!

Nina

muftysludge
shit, I can't believe I missed it. I didn't go cos it was raining. What a rubbish excuse :rolleyes:

Anyone would think I was made of sugar :mad:

crustychick

doo-woop-de-doo
Dubversion said:
eek! saw you as well, didn't i? sorry i didn't chat - i was already the middle venn diagram bit of three different social gatherings and in danger of losing them all.

bloody lovely, wasn't it? :)
yeah, no worries, i was in pretty much the same situation!!!

girasol

Ubuntu
Nina said:
shit, I can't believe I missed it. I didn't go cos it was raining. What a rubbish excuse :rolleyes:

Anyone would think I was made of sugar :mad:
I don't think I've ever been so wet in all my life (well, I have but I was swimming)...

Next time, hey? ;)

Mation

real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold
Dan U said:
what a great day and an amazing spectacle - to top it off i saw Rolf Harris in the crowd :D
"Ca..."
"Yes. It's an elephant, Rolf." :rolleyes:

:D

laptop

Freudenschade
Reposting one that went with the wobble...

dogmatique said:
Check out this typically condescending curmudgeon from the Guardian.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/culturevulture/archives/2006/05/08/elephantine_inf.html#more
That' just an internal Guardian office row aired in public. A silly side-effect of their setting up blogs.

Lyn Gardner did an ecstatic rant about the elephant that appeared on the front page of the Elephant Echo freebie - and another in the Guardian.

From the first:

...on the whole, in [the UK] theatre is funded to take place in purpose-build building in the dark and is far too well-mannered and nicely behaved to spill out into the streets
Michael Billington, by contrast, sees himelf as the, er, guardian of the tradition of the darkened room. Simple :)

laptop

Freudenschade
'Nother quote from Lyn Gardner:

an artistic occupation of the streets, an invasion that brings the traffic to a standstill, disrupts the spectacle of everyday life, and puts culture right at the very heart of our capital city.
Not in fact a steal from http://rts.gn.apc.org but it means I'm not the only one who's noticed a certain diffuse cultural lineage... free tabloid, cars stitched to streets, moments like the jannequin pis snuck in, even some semblance to this:

Firky

The first of the gang
Banned
moon said:
I remember being more transfixed by this man than the elephant :oops: ;)

I was more interested in people's reactions to it than the elephant! Kids standing open mouthed, rozzers twiddling thumbs, and the odd drunk homeless guy dancing.

aurora green

Tectonic
laptop said:
'Nother quote from Lyn Gardner:

Not in fact a steal from http://rts.gn.apc.org but it means I'm not the only one who's noticed a certain diffuse cultural lineage... free tabloid, cars stitched to streets, moments like the jannequin pis snuck in, even some semblance to this:

I thought I saw a free newspaper! Although I totally missed the cars...

I did come over all familiar when the elephant first appeared on the street, the huge swathes of crowd surging this way and that, sent tingles down my spine...the total transformation of the space...suddenly the streets were for people...

I think you're dead right Laptop. Too many references to be co-incidental, yet essentially situationist in its' linaeage, just as with RTS.