The 'soap opera' effect in movies on big screen TVs. Tom Cruise warns against motion smoothing.

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by skyscraper101, Dec 5, 2018.

1. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Tom Cruise says the tech on your expensive TV is ruining his films | Metro News

It would appear Tom Cruise and I have a bugbear in common. The default video setting built into large screen TVs which gives movies that 'soap opera' effect of looking like they were shot on high speed video rather than film. The intention being to add in an extra artificial frame, and 'smooth out blurring' mainly to the benefit of sport, but also to the detriment of films.

Weirdly though, I've pointed this out to quite a few people in the past, and helped them adjust their TVs accordingly, but they claim they don't notice the difference, but its clear as day to me.

Have you ever noticed it? Have you changed the settings on your TV?

Eggby, pesh and krtek a houby like this.
  2. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

oh! I'll have a look at this tonight.

3. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

I've noticed it on friend's TV sets and it looks fucking awful but they don't notice. It makes everything look like a 70s sitcom.

With many TVs it comes as the default setting and most people never adjust their TV beyond brightness, contrast and colour (if that!) once they set it up.

4. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Yes, it's annoying, and also noticeable on video games. The default should be changed and instead it should only apply for when using a 'sports' preset instead, it's not difficult to have various presets for whatever it is your viewing, with most smart tv's being online these days, it's not difficult to change this with updates, but then, how many people do firmware updates on their tv's?

5. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Yep, it’s awful.

6. skyscraper101

First time I noticed it, I didn't realise it was even a TV setting, and thought it was an intentional 'look' like what Peter Jackson did in the Hobbit. I was watching 'Let The Right One In' and it looked like it was shot on video but I'd never seen it before so assumed that was how it was supposed to look.

Then a few weeks later I watched 'Mad Men' on the same TV which I know was shot in a certain way, and was like WTF? Whats the TV doing to the picture? All the 'film look' had gone and the scenes looked like something from Coronation Street. After some research I discovered this was an annoying default setting.

What weirds me though is how some people don't even notice.

krtek a houby likes this.
  7. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

I thought modern films just looked shit tbh. :D

nogojones and skyscraper101 like this.
  8. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

Many people also seem to be perfectly happy to watch a squashed or stretched image, because they haven't set their aspect ratios up or the just want everything to fill up the screen without black bars on the sides or bottom.

People ! :mad:

Fez909, krtek a houby and salem like this.
  9. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I've noticed it but didn't know what it was. Just that there was something different about the way things looked but I couldn't quite say what it was.

salem likes this.
  10. skyscraper101

On Samsung TVs it's called "motion plus" and at least on my TV you have to go through some advanced picture settings to switch it off. There'll be guides online for most sets I'm sure.

Badgers and sunnysidedown like this.
  11. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

Which button do I press to change this setting?

upload_2018-12-5_15-1-7.png

12. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

I noticed it on my folks TV when I was there last Christmas (I don't have a TV myself). I tried watching Double Indemnity on Netflix and couldn't believe how bad it looked, I then tried a couple of other films and all of them looked so bad i gave up (I tried playing with the colour settings with no luck). Everyone else was wondering what my problem was.

I'll have a look for the Motion Plus setting when I'm back there this year, pretty sure its a Samsung.

skyscraper101 likes this.
  13. NoXion

NoXion It's been 600 years...

Is this video an accurate representation of this effect?

Because I must say, the 60fps version looks much better than the 24fps. But then I play a lot of video games, so maybe I'm more used to seeing things at 60fps or higher.

14. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

Yeah, used to have an argument with the Da about him watching stuff on the wrong aspect ratio. Didn't bother him at all. The motion smoothing thing I've noticed on some of the new tellies in the store and it does have that Hobbit vibe. The better half and I are currently arguing over it on the new telly, so when I saw this story this morning I felt vindicated that I wasn't just imagining it all :)

15. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

I miss a bit of nice, cheap wood effect on a telly...:(

It kind of subtly said "This is the main TV, it lives in the living room". As opposed to a small, cheap & nasty plastic affair that one might find in the bedrooms or kitchens of those well-to-do second TV households.

a_chap likes this.
  16. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Oh! So my old flatscreen didn’t do this, and then I got a replacement second hand from my sister’s stepson. I thought it was because the replacement was a bit shit! Had no idea some aesthetically challenged tech-head had deliberately invented this effect. It looks fucking awful!

17. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

Can someone explain what to look for in the settings please

18. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Aha, so this is why everyone's posh tellies look shit?

I've never had a posh telly so I've always been :confused: when I go to my Mam's and see her £1k rectangle produce absolute awful pictures.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  19. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

I noticed this recently too, having only just upgraded to a decent spec TV. Will try disabling it and see if it improves things.

20. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

This button -
    downlobutad.jpg ;)

21. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Here's some manufacturer names for icky-soap-opera-mode:

• SONY Motionflow
    • Samsung Auto Motion Plus
    • Sharp AquoMotion
    • Toshiba ClearFrame or ClearScan
    • Vizio Smooth Motion
    • LG TruMotion
    • JVC Clear Motion Drive

quimcunx, skyscraper101 and mango5 like this.
  22. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

23. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

24. stdP

stdP I never learn.

I'm willing to bet I'm the only person in this thread with their own colourimeter ;) As you can imagine I spend a lot of time having apoplectic fits whenever I see someone's TV using motion smoothing, 100% saturation, 100% contrast, in the wrong aspect ratio.

I dunno about sports as I don't watch them (stuff on my TV is 90% films) but as far as motion smoothing/interpolation for games goes, on all the sets I've used it generates a pretty massive input lag of 100ms or more. It gives me a headache almost every time I see it.

25. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

I am so glad I've seen this thread as I've been appalled at how bad a lot of movies look on modern TVs and I had no idea why. I thought it's just how it is these days.

I'm about to buy a new TV and will set mine up properly for films. I never watch sport anyway.

26. a_chap

I'd be delighted to take that bet. How about fifty quid? :cool:

27. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

You lose :D

skyscraper101 likes this.
  28. a_chap

Trying to work out whether I make fifty quid 'cause I have a Colormunki or whether I make two lots of fifty quid because you have a colourimeter also...

29. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

My Samsung TV has "sports mode" which is really bright and it hurts my eyes. Is this what people are talking about? I don't even use it to watch sports.

Badgers likes this.
  30. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

Even though none of you feckers answered my question :mad: I figured it out.

I went deep into the menu and now it looks like the people on my telly are in the room, why every default setting is on "shite" I have no idea, each thing I changed made it a bit better.

Weird.

skyscraper101 and krtek a houby like this.