The Shard starts...

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by kyser_soze, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Minnie_the_Minx likes this.
  2. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

We've not celebrated our south london overlord for a while.

Took this last night whilst attempting to photograph the Supermoon Eclipse.

20150928_033544s.jpg

5t3IIa, bromley and ddraig like this.
  3. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I have to say it just doesn't do it for me...

4. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

I hate it. Was at a meeting there the other week and it's just weird at ground level, messes up the pedestrian flow. Hate it

5. teuchter

Philistines

6. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

I hate the Walkietalkie too

7. teuchter

Well, I hate the walkie talkie too, because its a crass and lumpen monstrosity. The shard isn't though.

8. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

I hate the Shard for one reason: its capitalist psychogeographic dominance over the city.

I cannot think of a single reason not to hate the walkie-talkie. I even hate typing its name.

Well one: it melted an expensive car. But that's also an outcome of massive engineering stupidity, which is another reason to hate it.

9. teuchter

It's a manifestation of what the city London is. In that way it works for me, psychogeographically. The alternative is to live in some kind of denial.

Belushi and Manter like this.
  10. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

That's an interesting point. Hadn't thought of it like that.

11. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Architecturally speaking I don't have much of a problem with it. At least it's unconventional. It also reminds me of Eve off Wall-e.

12. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

The Shard is a great landmark.
    The Walkie Talkie is an abomination.
    The Cheesegrater is superb.
    The proposed 22 Bishopsgate is bland.

No sign of Eric Parry's proposal for 1 Undershaft yet (next door to cheesegrater), but that is tipped to be right at the aviation limit of 309m above sea level. ALL his buildings look like this, so I'm not expecting greatness.

epa_finsburysquare.jpg

Belushi likes this.
  13. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

The Shard. Always looks like they couldn't afford to finish the top of it.

...Like a Greek hotel.

bromley likes this.
  14. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

having stayed in a greek hotel recently i can assure you some of them are complete.

Badgers, Chilli.s and Belushi like this.
  15. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Property tax not payable until construction is complete, so "construction" can take a long long time :)

clicker, Chilli.s and laptop like this.
  16. teuchter

20161130_084550.jpg

In this morning's freezing smog.

clicker likes this.
  17. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I've always found its apparent size puzzling. While you can really appreciate how bloody tall it is from outer London (Norwood/ Crystal Palace for instance), to me it's never looked particularly impressive, let alone the tallest building in Europe, when viewed within central London. In fact the closest you are to it the more underwhelming it feels. Perhaps its pyramidal shape is to blame.

metalguru and Badgers like this.
  18. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

My company moved in there a while back. So I am now a Shard person :hmm:

To be honest after a few days it is just another office. All I see is the reception, lift and my office/desk every day. Am on the 25th floor (managed by The Office Group) and the views are nice. The building is still new and fairly slick, but not as flashy inside as expected.

There are a few perks...

Free breakfast pastries in the morning. Posh coffee, fruit and sweet bowls (including Blackjacks) all day. Cakes and occasionally champagne in the afternoons. Loads of free magazines and discounts in the local shops/food shacks.

People who want a meeting always want to come to the Shard so I can be more lazy. Also it is literally part of London Bridge Station which my train is direct to from home.

As mentioned the view is decent and the lifts are pretty good. There are some interesting companies/people working there.

I have never been above the 25th floor or anywhere.

IMG_20190213_095141.jpg

19. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

Ive had a pee about 10 floors above you looking out over then men's urinal in the cocktail bar loos

Badgers likes this.
  20. Sea Star

Sea Star have you ever explored your dark side?

I was briefly on the 9th floor in a building at IQL in Stratford - but as from last week I'm back on the first floor. At least that means i can stop using the awful lifts now.

Badgers likes this.
  21. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

Time to take the stairs and get fit Badgers :)