Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The second hand lenses advice thread

ViolentPanda

Hardly getting over it.
Well the tamron I ordered is OK, but the aperture pin is snapped so the camera can't change the aperture :facepalm: It also means that whatever you set the aperture to manually is what you get through the viewfinder, so anything over f11 is impossible to frame cos it's too dark.
Sirrah! Learne ye the Antient Arte of ye stoppinge-downe of ye lens, forsooth!

In other words, compose with the aperture wide open, then stop it down to the required aperture to take the pic.
It's always worked fine for me when using old pre-auto lenses and/or cameras.

fractionMan

Custom Title
Sirrah! Learne ye the Antient Arte of ye stoppinge-downe of ye lens, forsooth!

In other words, compose with the aperture wide open, then stop it down to the required aperture to take the pic.
It's always worked fine for me when using old pre-auto lenses and/or cameras.
why didn't I think of that :facepalm: I've just been shooting at f4-f8 :D

weltweit

It isn't a lens that I most lust after, I already have 5 lenses, what I lust after is a Full Frame digital sensor. Because all my lenses were designed for full frame so I am not seeing them as they were intended.

ViolentPanda

Hardly getting over it.
It isn't a lens that I most lust after, I already have 5 lenses, what I lust after is a Full Frame digital sensor. Because all my lenses were designed for full frame so I am not seeing them as they were intended.
True, but (and of course this is only my perspective, and I'm a bit of an anti-gearhead type) surely taking good pictures is as much to do with making the best of what we have to hand, as it is about having the "proper" lens for a particular format, or (in your case) having the "proper" format for a particular lens?

weltweit

True, but (and of course this is only my perspective, and I'm a bit of an anti-gearhead type) surely taking good pictures is as much to do with making the best of what we have to hand, as it is about having the "proper" lens for a particular format, or (in your case) having the "proper" format for a particular lens?
Taking good pictures is indeed what it is all about, and I have pretty much all the equipment I could need for that.

weltweit

But that does not stop me thinking my 50mm is a bit too long for a walk about lens, and my 85mm is a tad too long for portraits.

ViolentPanda

Hardly getting over it.
But that does not stop me thinking my 50mm is a bit too long for a walk about lens, and my 85mm is a tad too long for portraits.
That's the curse of the photographer - to always keep reaching for the perfect gear as well as the perfect photo, unless you're some kind of Zen Bert Hardy character.

FridgeMagnet

Administrator
I find that going much below 50mm (35mm equiv) makes me uncomfortable. I want a proper 28mm for completeness but I don't plan on using it routinely... I have a 14mm (=28mm) pancake for my GF2, which I've tried to use recently but feels really odd and wide.

Which is fine, of course, as there are loads of great 50mm-ish primes out there. I got a 2/58 Super Takumar in M42 which is terrific, and makes a good portrait lens in m4/3 as well.

ViolentPanda

Hardly getting over it.
I find that going much below 50mm (35mm equiv) makes me uncomfortable. I want a proper 28mm for completeness but I don't plan on using it routinely... I have a 14mm (=28mm) pancake for my GF2, which I've tried to use recently but feels really odd and wide.

Which is fine, of course, as there are loads of great 50mm-ish primes out there. I got a 2/58 Super Takumar in M42 which is terrific, and makes a good portrait lens in m4/3 as well.
45-55mm (35mm) pretty much approximates the normal human field of vision, so feeling uncomfortable with w/a lenses is natural. You're taking in a much wider visual field, approx 75 degrees as opposed to 45-50 degrees with a 50-ishmm lens, than usual.

editor

hiraethified
I think I might get one of those Helios 44-M 58mm f/2 lenses soon seeing as they're only about £30 on eBay...