The Rugby thread: 2018-2019 raving, rants, and refs

Discussion in 'general sports' started by flypanam, Aug 31, 2018.

1. flypanam

flypanam Local oaf

Who would you guys play? It does seem strange that 12 or so games out from the WC, that he's not at least blooding someone new.

2. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

Don't know tbh! We've got Shingler and Navidi out injured with Moriarty covering 8 in Faletau's absence.

Thank fuck it it's only Scotland. ;)

3. Threshers_Flail

Anyway this weekend the greatest Welsh international of his generation is set to retire, hopefully with a win for Cardiff against Zebre. Diolch Gethin!

bendeus likes this.
  4. bendeus

bendeus Bellend Tagline Generator

I'm not entirely sure about the current injury list. Assuming Ellis Jenkins is also crocked alongside Navidi, Shingler, James Davies and Faletau, which makes for a fairly horrific roll call, especially given the big Sam-shaped hole that has opened up. I'd play Thomas Young there over Lydiate for a start.

5. bendeus

bendeus Bellend Tagline Generator

That's a huge claim, fella, but you might be right. You could even extend that, to be honest: one of the greatest Welsh players of his or any other generation? Total freak of nature.

Probably one of the only Welsh players who could legitimately have claimed to be the best in the world in his position for a good number of years, at least until the scrum laws changed

Threshers_Flail likes this.
  6. Threshers_Flail

I'm sure Captain Sam, Alun Wyn and Shane will let me off for this reason alone. You're right, freak of a player, glad he's staying in the game and hope he has many years of coaching at Cardiff ahead of him.

7. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

How the hell did England win that?

And I properly laughed out loud at the ridiculous call for the Farrell tackle. And I'm an England fan!

8. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

ha, amazing, enough of a wrap :D

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  9. The Octagon

The Octagon Stop...Hammertime

Can't believe we got away with that tbh, great performance in the 2nd half tho.

Thoroughly entertaining game.

gawkrodger likes this.
  10. starfish

starfish No dialogue. Just plot.

Scotland :facepalm: again.

11. FiFi

FiFi Hot cross Bunny

I know :rolleyes:
    Still, some of the youngsters showed some promise. They just need to keep their nerve when they’re under pressure

starfish likes this.
  12. starfish

starfish No dialogue. Just plot.

Yes & the old heads too.

13. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Interesting squad in Chicago tonight, if I can find a stream...

[​IMG]

14. flypanam

flypanam Local oaf

Check the eir sports channel on you tube or FB.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  15. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

I've got one with American commentary, it's a bit of a procession.

16. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Americans commentating on rugby sounds like it'd be a total head-fuck.

Mark Wilson looks very small for an 8. I've just looked him up and he's in fact taller than Billy, just, although about 18kg lighter.

17. Grandma Death

Grandma Death Reconfiguring & Reconstructing

18. flypanam

flypanam Local oaf

That's a big NZ team to face England

New Zealand (v England):

15. Damian McKenzie
    14. Ben Smith
    13. Jack Goodhue
    12. Sonny Bill Williams
    11. Rieko Ioane
    10. Beauden Barrett
    9. Aaron Smith

8. Kieran Read (captain)
    7. Ardie Savea
    6. Liam Squire
    5. Brodie Retallick
    4. Sam Whitelock
    3. Owen Franks
    2. Codie Taylor
    1. Karl Tu’inukuafe

Replacements:

16. Dane Coles
    17. Ofa Tuungafasi
    18. Nepo Laulala
    19. Scott Barrett
    20. Matt Todd
    21. TJ Perenara
    22. Richie Mo’unga
    23. Ryan Crotty

I think their beatable. The two looseheads are penalty machines, if the scrum is reffed well. I think squire is more of a 8 than a blindside. While SBW is not on form. I think if England can get to Smith they have a chance in this.

19. flypanam

flypanam Local oaf

The Ireland team looks pretty good, with Larmour starting at fullback, with Earls and Stockdale (who defensively is much better than last season) Bundy and Henshaw in the midfield, with Sexton and Marmion teaming up again. Feel sorry for Beirne not to even get on the bench and I would have had Leavy on at the start and brought on SO'B on 60.

However I'm just an oaf sitting at a computer.

20. Threshers_Flail

Annoyed at Francis getting picked again for Wales, the guy is as mobile as a broken trolley. I'd have put Dillon Lewis in. Bench looks strong though which is not a thing a Welsh fan can often say.

Looking forward to the Saes v Team Adidas game more though tbh.

21. Threshers_Flail

He'd be in my team, saying that I'm also just an oaf sat in front of a computer.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    flypanam likes this.
  22. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

We're going to get bummed raw. Take Hartley out and an 8 year old who has just been to Disneyland has more caps than our pack. SA should have been out of sight after half an hour, this will be a lot worse.

gawkrodger and flypanam like this.
  23. flypanam

flypanam Local oaf

Just seen the England team. I have to revise that they could beat NZ Brad Shields? No hope. England at best will grind NZ but ultimately lose. I pity don Armand. I’d buy him a flight to Galway for a three year stay.

24. flypanam

flypanam Local oaf

I always thought NZ games in Twicks were close. Any how I’m pretty excited by the game way more than ours against Argentina who we will beat but lose to in the WC at some point.

25. OzT

OzT Online early mornings when at work ....

Well have to say the Wallabies are at their lowest, in my lifetime anyway, and hoping they've has finally reached the nadiar at last from its long tortureous downward slide since 2000, and we actually start winning, or at least give a good losing performance without embrassements.

Actually, I will be happy if we've picked a side that could just do the basic, catch, pass, run forward without tripping up and tackle. Then we will have a chance to stay in the game! :)

Looking forward to our first game tomorrow, after a very forgettable start to to the year (actualy was no different from last year)

26. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

I think a full strength England could give them a run for their money but we are way below full strength. More players in the treatment room then in the squad at the moment.

27. Grandma Death

Can anybody please recommend a good link to watch the english match on torrents please?

28. Threshers_Flail

Don't worry, there's always that guaranteed win against the Welsh to warm up your Autumn series. ;)

I'm quietly confident of a Wales win, god knows why.

29. Grandma Death

Yeah this. I have no idea why Im slightly optimistic. But I am-and with our record against them....fuck knows why. If England get handed their arse to them on a plate and we beat wallabies-it could be one of the greatest days of rugby Ive ever seen. If it goes the other way-Im just gonna have to find a ditch somewhere to lay in my own piss, blood and vomit. *for a change*

bendeus likes this.
  30. flypanam

flypanam Local oaf

I dunno I'd like England to beat the AB's just to wipe the smug off Hansen and co.