The Outdoorsy "Sofa".

Discussion in 'general sports' started by chilango, Sep 22, 2017.

1. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Oddly (imo) the Wetherspoons is the nicest pub in Monmouth!

UnderAnOpenSky and kebabking like this.
  2. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

just spent a few days in the Peaks. Very nice weather we had:thumbs:

[​IMG]

3. Went to the Peak District as a kid and will be taking my kids next spring, quick (odd) question please littleseb, on the open ground are there loads of sheep floating around, or are the hills mostly bare?

4. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

very green and loads of sheep and cows. Why?
    Really nice landscape, green rolling hills, yet wild and ruggy. Perfect to take kids for a bit of hill-walking. Nearly impossible to get lost as you just have to climb the next hill to get your bearings.
    Fwiw, I was in the northern part, near Buxton.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  5. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

The Peak is normally spilt into the Dark and White Peak and look quite different.

The White takes its name from the Limestone and is more lush and green and used for agriculture. The Dark is more rolling moreland and feels considerably more wild. You may see a few sheep, but certainly not in nice fields.

6. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

aha, good to know :thumbs:

7. UnderAnOpenSky

My friend has booked Titan for next month It's the deepest vertical drop in a cave in the UK. We were meant to do it last year, but there was an issue with the entrance pitch.

This is looking down the Event Horizon. Obviously it won't be so lit up when we go to it. :D

6881361305_fb17b5e68b_b.jpg

13584798_10153635732232256_4266391340359489862_o_R217bN1.jpg

8. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

are those numbers meters or feet?

9. UnderAnOpenSky

Meters :cool:

10. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

11. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

12. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

Wow, that looks amazing UnderAnOpenSky

Im planning our mates get-together next year and we're iff to the dolomites and sime via ferrata, has anyone been?

Several years back we bagged the camino del rey in el chorro Spain which was a blast - the climbing there is also amazing and worth seeking out, weve done three christmases and ny there.

UnderAnOpenSky and kebabking like this.
  13. Taking the dog with us. When we went up Snowdon she had to stay on a lead which made the going doubly tough for us, would rather not bring her if she has to be on a lead all the time.

14. Now rebuilt as a safe tourist attraction, taking the fun out of it.

15. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

All the dogs I saw there were kept on leads. Lots of sheep, rabbits, birds etc to chase after....

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  16. Ah, kennels it is for her then :(

She's not been off the lead near a sheep, but chases bird and kills rabbits and squirrels, so is bound to go sheep hunting given half a chance, rabbit owners don't have the right to shoot dogs, sheep owners do...

kebabking and craigxcraig like this.
  17. UnderAnOpenSky, that cave looks mental, is that where the overflow water from Speedwell Cavern's bottomless pit goes?

18. craigxcraig

Indeed Bahnhof Strasse I went back and was there a couple of months ago and went to have a look, and to do it. Its a real shame its no longer doable as it was, but my better half enjoyed it.

19. craigxcraig

1504203998218.jpg

Thats my mate Vodka Dave on the left, me on the right, a month or two back.

20. UnderAnOpenSky

It's part of the Peak Cavern system, so it's possible to come out there if you wanted. Mad thing is, it was only discovered in the 90s.

21. Explains why it wasn't mentioned when I went in 1981 with school, I guess...

kebabking and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  22. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Fabulous pic littleseb :cool:

23. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

we had a great time :)

Rutita1 likes this.
  24. lazythursday

lazythursday Well-Known Member

You would definitely have to have the dog on the lead in the Peaks. Even if you can't see any sheep for miles they have a tendency to suddenly appear from behind a rock. My dog is a nightmare with sheep despite loads of attempts at training and living almost on the moors, he has to stay on the lead all the time, but I've found that having him on a harness in places where I know there are sheep makes it an awful lot easier, he can't pull so much etc.

25. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

26. Ta, it's not fair on her to keep her on a lead for so long like we did on Snowdon, so we'll leave her behind. A friend has just moved to the Black Mountains with her three dogs and has the same problem, there's nowhere at all to let them run free, whereas where we live in crowded Surrey there's miles of open land right on our doorstep.

kebabking likes this.
  27. Sweet FA

Sweet FA ✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪

Not exactly roughing it but fairly outdoorsy; spent Storm Brian in a yurt just south of Snowdonia National Park. Pretty hectic outside for a few days; toasty as you like indoors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Red Cat, baldrick, friedaweed and 7 others like this.
  28. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

I managed to fix this using Evostik instead of the glue in the repair kit :thumbs:

I spent last night in a camping barn in Northumberland. It's surprisingly mild for this time of year although the wind was pretty wild, so I'm glad I wasn't in a tent!

craigxcraig, kebabking and chilango like this.
  29. UnderAnOpenSky

I'm in a barn at the moment. It's fucking freezing. Last night wasn't to bad, but temperatures have really dropped tonight. Won't be to bad in my sleeping bag of course, but it's the times around that, especially getting up in the morning. Fuck camping at this time of year.

It's making me wonder though. I've got bookings all the weekends through November. Do I tough it out or spend more money staying in a hostel and run the risk of having to actually share with other people.

craigxcraig and kebabking like this.
  30. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

Euurrrggghhhhh, people!

Are the Northumberland bothies any use to you? at least they have a fire you can stoke up and pretend you're enjoying yourself with...

OTOH, and of course it depends on how much the barns cost out of your income from the trip and your client base, but if I was hiring a guide or instructor for the weekend and they turned up looking like they'd (barely) slept in a hedge and obviously needed a wash, I'd be pretty unhappy.

Difficult one I think...