1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Outdoorsy "Sofa".

Discussion in 'general sports' started by chilango, Sep 22, 2017.

1. chilango

chilango By the many, not the few.

I currently use an OS 1:25k and a Harvey 1:40k on Dartmoor. Fog and bog are the main issues I encounter. Plus paths on the maps are rarely there IRL and some of the military tracks (which are really handy) don't seem to be on the maps.

UnderAnOpenSky and kebabking like this.
  2. chilango

I've just got myself a new headtorch. Black Diamond Gizmo. Specs are fairly mediocore, but it was free* and will act as a back-up/second torch. :thumbs:

[​IMG]

*I've never had to pay for a headtorch. I found my first Petzl on a campsite in France when i was clearing up. My second one was acquired with vouchers given to me in exchange for helping with a lunchtime football club, and this one as a "reward" from IPSOS.:cool:

kebabking and LynnDoyleCooper like this.
  3. chilango

I don't know if anybody here is a member of the BMC or has been following the "motion of no cofidence" furore...but it's still rumbling away and is a fascinating insight into status/power/class antagonism in "mountaineering".

4. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper It's a complicated world innit.

I was for years, but aren't any more and can't see myself joining again really.

Yeah, I did follow the name change disaster a bit (which I thought was a terrible idea, and badly attempted) and was aware it was rumbling on somewhat. Saw it more of a clash of cultures more than one of class tbh, although haven't given it much thought. :D

chilango likes this.
  5. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

Still a member. I don't really get involved, but I stay a member because I just think I ought too...

I enjoy digging out that extra 10% discount at go outdoors - do we now get 15% at Cotswold?

6. chilango

Yep 15% now. Special partnership apparently.

I joined cos I had to to register with the MLTE, but easily make my subs back in discounts. Plus Summit is an ok mag now.

LynnDoyleCooper and kebabking like this.
  7. LynnDoyleCooper

You doing/done your ML then chilango?

8. chilango

Signed up years ago to do what is now the Hill & Moorland Leader. Haven’t got round to actually doing the thing yet. Still log my days dutifully though...

LynnDoyleCooper and kebabking like this.
  9. lazythursday

lazythursday Well-Known Member

Android mapping - the official OS app is ok, if a bit buggy, and not bad value at something like £20/year for the whole country. You have to remember to download the area you're visiting though.

What I really, really recommend though is getting the OpenAndroMaps mapping installed OpenAndroMaps - Cycle and Hike maps for Android
    It takes a bit of setting up - basically you need to install Locus Maps first and then follow the Locus quick install instructions on the website - but you end up with a version of Open Street Map for the whole country that is optimised for hiking / cycling and as long as you are in an area that has been well mapped it's far more accurate and has more paths than OS and all runs offline happily. Quite a lot of paths in the Lake District (only place I've used it) are also colour coded for difficulty in terms of terrain etc. It's much better than other iterations of Open Street Map for walking that I've seen.

kebabking likes this.
  10. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

interesting, cheers, I'll check that out.

11. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I've been saying I'm going to get round to assessment for about 15 years now...

I ended up on a free one a few years back with less then a months notice. Went from thinking not a chance in hell to getting deferred on night nav. Like an idiot I didn't go back in the time scale so have to do the full 5 days again.

You know your in for a fun assessment when it's raining so hard in the Lakes that all the traffic is going the other way...

kebabking and chilango like this.
  12. chilango

4E4DB5D2-8F86-4140-94A2-FE1DDFA1D581.jpeg Brew time on the moor.

craigxcraig, kebabking, Lorca and 4 others like this.
  13. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

28 miles round the Pentlands last Saturday.

IMG_20171007_134927064.jpg
    IMG_20171007_134900472.jpg

14. LynnDoyleCooper

craigxcraig and kebabking like this.
  15. UnderAnOpenSky

Handy bits of kit. Almost my MSR Reactor has given up the ghost after two years and now I need to send it to them for repair. :(

16. chilango

My back up stove. I won it in a competition:)

17. heinous seamus

heinous seamus til clay-cauld death shall blind my ee

18. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

On the bikes. Entered at Bonaly, across via Torduff to Harlaw, up and over the moor from there on the path that goes to Ninemileburn, back along the A702 to Flotterstone, up and over Maiden's Cleuch again, back to Bonaly via Torphin. 2800 feet of muddy climbing :D

kebabking and heinous seamus like this.
  19. LynnDoyleCooper

Was a bit skeptical of Jetboils then used a friend's on a trip and was converted, especially the being able to boil water in the blink of an eye while sat in a vehicle!

Did have some amazing MSR multifuel thing that was more suited to post-apocalypse cooking than the boiling water for drinks and the odd boil in the bag I do in reality.

20. UnderAnOpenSky

Yeah. I had one of them as well. Was good when I was outside the UK for a long trip when fuel is hard to get, but got fed up with the faff and the mess on my hands with normal usage.

21. chilango

C197A3BA-6054-4ED2-A203-44577F232478.jpeg E951E174-C77D-4A09-84DC-E21F64872D6A.jpeg E5F6A1B1-2F4A-484C-B9F1-62CE21890EE2.jpeg

The joys of Dartmoor in the Autumn :thumbs:

22. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

Anyone got any recommendations for lightweight air mats?

I have an Alpkit Numo at the moment, but it’s developed a slow puncture (as I discovered at 3am on Mull last month :facepalm:) on the seam near the valve which isn't sealing. I’m not sure whether to replace it with the same again, or to look at something else.

23. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

neonwilderness my thermarest punctured nd try as I might, it couldnt be fixed so i contatcted them under their lifetime warrenty and was told to send it to them - they also tried and failed. However they did offer me a brand new one, for I think £20. Whilst its no use to you at the moment, i was v happy with the whole service and would recommend them.

24. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

My first thought would be talking to Alpkit - whenever I've had a problem with any of their gear I've been sent a replacement with no questions asked and often without actually asking for one.

I had an issue with the window of my 5yo kangri tent - it popped out while I was packing it - so I messaged then to ask what sealant they'd recommend and they sent me a new fly sheet...

chilango and neonwilderness like this.
  25. LynnDoyleCooper

Exped! They do a huge range, including down and synthetic filled ones that are luxurious. Still light, but expensive, and make for a very comfortable nights sleep.

neonwilderness likes this.
  26. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

27. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

Yeah, I was going to have another go at repairing it then contact them if it doesn’t work. Would be happy with a repair or replacement tbf, the Numo has been fine until now.

kebabking likes this.
  28. chilango

Hmm. With mats I guess you've got the 3 basic types (foam, self-inflating and air) and then you've got to decide whether to go for cheap and replaceable or expensive and (hopefully) longer lasting. Or a compromise.

I've had a couple of cheap airmats, which have done a decent job. Comfy, light and packable. The first was a McKinley (InterSport own brand) which cost c£15 and lasted a couple of years before failing catastrophically. The second a Hyalite (ex-POE) I picked up from TK for about £20 and has also lasted about 2 years. it seems to have developed a leak at one of the baffle seams. I've patched it, but am not confident that that will save it. But for the money I don't mind the limited lifespan. I'd worry about taking them on extended trips though.

We've also got three expensive thermarests. The first a bog standard classic self-inflator still works after 13 years. It's too bulky and heavy for backpacking though. We have a 3/4 length more modern SIM and that is "as new" after about 7 or 8 years. Lighter and smaller, but a compromise on comfort. So our 5 year old gets it! My wife also has a Neoair X Therm, which is superb. Cost £120ish but don't begrudge that at all. Its the comfiest mat I've ever used. Really warm. and packs almost as small and light as the cheapo airmats. It has punctured though within months, which is a worry. The patch seems to have worked though.

neonwilderness and kebabking like this.
  29. UnderAnOpenSky

Picking up our canoe on Wednesday and getting a few more sneaky days paddling on the Wye. It's getting a bit cold and I'm getting old and soft so we're going to stay in a pub. :thumbs:

kebabking likes this.