The Outdoorsy "Sofa".

Discussion in 'general sports' started by chilango, Sep 22, 2017.

1. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

we should meet up for a naturist bivvy, do a live broadcast and see if Spymaster blows a gasket as grainy images of naked urbans prancing about under the stars (with million lumens headtorches..) are seen by literally tens of people all over the world.

2. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I'll come along with the dogs and the Bovril

3. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I've had a work email asking for some one to demonstrate Nordic Walking for a TV Show. I had google it. Apparently it's just walking with poles. :confused:

kebabking likes this.
  4. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

No it's walking with poles around the park when you're retired.

baldrick, weepiper, kebabking and 2 others like this.
  5. UnderAnOpenSky

Apparently you can become a qualified instructor in it. :D

kebabking and chilango like this.
  6. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Well-Known Member

Walking with poles around the park when you're retired... and looking like both your hips are dislocated.

In the same file as prancercise...

kebabking likes this.
  7. LynnDoyleCooper

On the original topic of sharing gear recently purchased, one of these arrived for me today in anticipation of the coming winter/second career as a ninja. In black of course....

Eclipse Hooded Zip Tee

kebabking and chilango like this.
  8. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Be fair.

In the demographic I've seen doing, they probably do have significant hip problems.

kebabking and LynnDoyleCooper like this.
  9. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Nice.

Always good to have
    just in case like.

kebabking and LynnDoyleCooper like this.
  10. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Myself, I'm toying with the idea of getting an overspecced compass. Maybe a Suunto M3. Don't need one I've already got three compasses, but they're all a bit "cheap".

LynnDoyleCooper and kebabking like this.
  11. UnderAnOpenSky

That's serious, serious money for a base layer. :D

I really want anothet pair of Mamot Highland trousers after trashing the first pair after two years working in slate mines, but I'm to tight to pay the £100 rrp, even if they will go on my tax return.

12. LynnDoyleCooper

Silva Expedition 4 surely?

You got a altimeter/heart rate/GPS/also tells the time thing yet though? I'm eyeing up one, although it'll have to wait a while yet.

chilango likes this.
  13. UnderAnOpenSky

I've got a Sunnto Core. Had to shop around for a bit to find one that had a normal screen and not the hard to read black one.

Decided not to go for GPS as I'd rather keep real battery eating devices seperate. The Altimeter is very handy though, suprised what a difference it makes to navigation.

LynnDoyleCooper and chilango like this.
  14. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Hmm. Not thought about the Silva. I've a couple of Silva's already and whilst they're fine, I feel like trying a different brand...

No "watch" yet. Phone contract's up in the Spring, but my handset should be good for another year or two so am hoping I can get s deal that includes an Apple Watch without having to pay much more.

Might have a play with ViewRanger 's new skyline thing at the weekend though...

LynnDoyleCooper likes this.
  15. kebabking

Silva 4 (with mils if you fancy something a bit exotic..), some pacing cord and a £25 Argos watch (or MWC G10 from the man at Q&M's if you prefer..).

and a map case that looks a lot like a zip-lock freezer bag. i've just bought another 50 on ebay for about £7.

i'm having rayt fun with my ViewRanger App at the Mo, its all over the place - takes about 5 minutes to work out where it is, then shakes about like a puppy on coke while telling me what i can see, were i to have eyes in the back of my head.

craigxcraig and chilango like this.
  16. LynnDoyleCooper

Only ever had Silvas, although sure other brands are all mostly the same.

I bought a Polar M400 for running a couple of years ago and it's brilliant, although only really use the GPS for distance and then the HR for training plans. When it dies I'll upgrade to some fancy Suunto or Garmin thing.

And fuck map cases, zip-lock bags or chop sections up and laminate if you're bored and feeling productive. Although those new BMC/Harvey 1:40,000 maps are brilliant, no more mountain areas split into four maps.

chilango and kebabking like this.
  17. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Ultramap®

These rule.

Waiting for a Dartmoor one.

LynnDoyleCooper likes this.
  18. LynnDoyleCooper

Ooooohhhh, not seen those, great, thanks!

19. UnderAnOpenSky

40k for Dartmoor? :hmm:

Brave

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    chilango and kebabking like this.
  20. kebabking

I like the Harvey's maps, the mapping is good and the material is surprisingly resilient, but the coverage is restricted to the honeypots.

Which is a bit rubbish...

21. UnderAnOpenSky

Anyone use digital mapping? I like being able to print out maps and laminate and have them on the phone as backup for if it goes wrong or if I'm in a different any area and fancy a low level walk and dont have the relevent map on me.

Used a pirated copy of memory map for many years, but can't get them on the phone any more, even with third party apps.

Subscriberes to the OS thing this year, but you can only download quite small sections, rather then the whole lot on a big memory card and when it comes to printing it leaves huge margins.

Tempted to bight the bullet and get the latest Memory Map, but it's over £200. Hoping I may see some sales towards the end of the year. Had a play on the trial of the app though and it's far superior.

22. LynnDoyleCooper

No, never got round to it, never use a GPS either for leisure stuff (although have for work where it's been dead useful) - just a map and compass like a red sock wearing biffer. Isn't all the mapping stuff easy to get for free though? Surely it's on Pirate Bay or some such site?

kebabking likes this.
  23. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

I use an old phone with Android 5, MMTracker and Memory Map files.

24. UnderAnOpenSky

You'd have thought, but no, belive me I've looked. It appears to be quite locked down and not mainstream enough for people to crack it.

That's not a bad idea I guess. MMtracker doesn't work on newer phones which is why I dont have it anymore.

That said the new app did seem rather lovely when I used the free trial.

25. UnderAnOpenSky

Oh, I actually had part of the day clear on Bleaklow. Was trying to practice micro nav, despite the weather still found it hard. There's so little to go of up there!

20171008_142948-1024x1365.jpg 20171008_145301-1024x639.jpg

Lorca, chilango, kebabking and 2 others like this.
  26. LynnDoyleCooper

Wow, that's the nicest I've ever seen Bleaklow looking!

27. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

Yes Android 6 seems to have broken it. I haven't really looked into why.

I'm afraid I lost patience with Memory Map when they spent years failing to deliver an Android version, and then produced something that a) didn't work properly and b) was far too expensive. I've just looked it up, to get all GB at 1:50k and England only at 1:25k will cost the best part of 400 quid :eek:. Using mapping we paid for when the OS was in public ownership.:mad:

So, no not for me but let me know if you do buy it, or find an evaluation version :).

kebabking and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  28. UnderAnOpenSky

It's a fair bit although I could live without the 50k, although I do sometime like to print out both.

The problem seems to be a lack of good options. I was quite excited by the OS offering, but it falls a fair bit short of something I was using over a decade ago!

I'm still not sure if I will buy it, but I've been thinking about it for a long time, so will probably happen at some point. If I do I'd be interested to play with it on a tablet, although obviously not when out in the hills!

29. BlueSquareThing

BlueSquareThing With chips

Bing maps with the OS layer - screenshot and print.

Takes a bit of time and they may not be ultra up to date, but if I'm going somewhere that I know I'm unlikely to be back to then I'll do that. If it's somewhere I'll go to regularly I'll buy the map.

Although it is easier to fold up a bit of A4 and stick it in my pocket

30. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

I poked around the XDA thread last night which put me on to Alpine Quest. Opens .qct maps as well as Bing, Google and OSM mapping and only costs a fiver. So far I've only grabbed the free version (1 map limit I think) but it seems to work. The user interface is a bit odd but then all mapping software is.