Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The ongoing gentrification of the Brixton Arches

shakespearegirl

just worked out taglines
NR used every trick in their dirty book to force the tenants to vacate , not HT Pawnbrokers or William Hill but that’s another story you can read about on Urban !
NR wanted to clear long term tenants from Arches or to force them into huge rent increases so that the business ‘ appealed ‘ to the hedge fund investment companies when all the Arches were sold off ! It’s as simple as that !!
NR are the villains in this situation, as they are with other arches they’ve developed and kicked out all the existing tenants. That said, if I was a tenant who managed to retain their lease, I’d be trying to build a business that can cope with the inevitable increases in rent that NR will be imposing in the future

editor

hiraethified
I can’t find anything about the new business online to see where it’s pricing sits, but obviously the owner has decided what business model he feels is going to work best in the arch that he has the lease on.
At the end of the day he’s running a business not a community service
Yeah, I get that obviously, but if the 'returning tenants' turn out to all-gentrifying cocktail bars and upmarket restaurants that financially exclude the very community that supported them in the past, I won't be cheerleading their return nor will I feel any onus to support them.

editor

hiraethified
My dear boy it sometimes feels that this entire website is about gentrification.
Does it really? Funny, because I'd say that the topic makes up an absolutely tiny percentage of the posts here, although it is clearly something that is negative impact o many people's lives. What's your opinion about the gentrification in Brixton?

Lambeth Boy

NR are the villains in this situation, as they are with other arches they’ve developed and kicked out all the existing tenants. That said, if I was a tenant who managed to retain their lease, I’d be trying to build a business that can cope with the inevitable increases in rent that NR will be imposing in the future
That’s the problem they won’t let you change you use on the current lease as they insist you ‘ hand it back ‘ and sign up to a new short term lease at best ! Most of the time they won’t risk you changing the use as you would normally be inexperienced and risk defaulting on your new much higher rent

shakespearegirl

just worked out taglines
That’s the problem they won’t let you change you use on the current lease as they insist you ‘ hand it back ‘ and sign up to a new short term lease at best ! Most of the time they won’t risk you changing the use as you would normally be inexperienced and risk defaulting on your new much higher rent
I thought the seafood guy was a returning tenant who’d changed his offer? Wonder why NR have let him do it? Unless he’s back under a new lease

editor

hiraethified
I feel sorry for them but change is inevitable.
Plus you can get all those DELICIOUS burgers from trendy shops and maybe get a front view seat for the eviction.

Thankfully, not everyone goes along with your passive, helpless, defeatist 'change is inevitable' line, and although the odds are always stacked against communities when faced with rich developers, some victories have been won in the kind of battles you seemingly couldn't be bothered with.

Lambeth Boy

It is but it sounds like your fairly new to the area and possibly can afford a £8 burger and £4 chips ? Imagine all the people who have lived here for years scraping by in a area which for so long was considered a ghetto but is now classified as a trendy area !
I spent 28 years of my working life there but long story short was priced out

Gramsci

What you are saying is that the economy is beyond human control.

Its Not. Change to the economy and society are made by political decisions.

It was not inevitable that NR kick out the businesses and up the rents.

Gramsci

BTW you have accussed me of being banal.

This comment of yours is banal.

Of course change is inevitable. But what do you mean by that? What are the processes in society we live in make that so in the case of gentrification?

Big Bertha

Marinekanone
It is but it sounds like your fairly new to the area and possibly can afford a £8 burger and £4 chips ? Imagine all the people who have lived here for years scraping by in a area which for so long was considered a ghetto but is now classified as a trendy area !
I spent 28 years of my working life there but long story short was priced out
I lived in Brixton for 20 years but was also priced out

£8 for a burger is burger king prices though.

Gramsci

I prefer to think of it as the regentrification of Brixton
So what you are saying is this is the "turning of the wheel" view of social change.

Brixton was an upmarket area , went downhill , now is becoming upmarket.

Thats just how things are.

editor

hiraethified

Big Bertha

Marinekanone
What you are saying is that the economy is beyond human control.

Its Not. Change to the economy and society are made by political decisions.

It was not inevitable that NR kick out the businesses and up the rents.
You have immense faith in our political leaders.

By your logic everything is part of some great plan?

Gramsci

You have immense faith in our political leaders.

By your logic everything is part of some great plan?
Im not talking about politial leaders. Nor about some "great plan".

What you posted is that "change is inevitable" that this is the "re gentrification " of the arches. Implying that this is the turning of the wheel of history. Just something that happens.

I disagree with this view of society.

editor

hiraethified
I thought you were a journalist!
You need to improve your fact checking :)
I thought you could read - you've just quoted ny post that proved that BK prices are way cheaper than trendy burgers.

2020-02-15_195557.jpg

Oh, and most burgers from nu-Brixton businesses are over £8 anyway. :facepalm:
£9.20 in Pop brixton with no fries.
£9 to £13.50 in Honest Burgers.

editor

hiraethified
I thought you were a journalist!
You need to improve your fact checking :)
Oh wait. You're trying to troll with this selective screen grab which does not reflect the actual price. I'm not having you fuck up this thread with your nonsense, so you're banned off this thread and any other one where you try and fuck about.

mjd

This is an interesting point. NR has no shareholders, so does not make profit for profit's sake and reinvests all its income in the railways. Broadly speaking, it is assigned projects for which it must find funding, the Government allocates a certain amount of funding to it and it must make up the shortfall, partly through its commercial property assets.

Linking this thread to another current one, on the redevelopment of the Hardess St industrial estate, there seems to be a common understand that Loughborough Junction station would benefit from improvement. While Thameslink (as the main operator serving that station) would arguably be required to contribute, the fundamental work to upgrade stations, tracks etc. that might be required in order to increase capacity to deal with a growing population (caused, at least in part, by private developers proposing high-density residential developments) would need to be funded by NR. NR therefore needs to find funding to deal with the changes in the Brixton area as much as many others are having to.

I am not saying that NR has gone about eviction of long-standing tenants in an acceptable way (they have not), nor am I expressing a view on gentrification, but it may be that NR is not arbitrarily deciding to increase rents. Instead, NR's hand could be being forced by a reduction in government funding and increased demands placed on its services by outside forces.

Of course, the fact that rent increases then lead to businesses arriving that are more likely to cater for the gentrifying crowd, which in turn leads to even more people moving to the area, which then adds even more pressure to services is a vicious circle. But not necessarily one that is of NR's making.

djdando

I thought you could read - you've just quoted ny post that proved that BK prices are way cheaper than trendy burgers.

View attachment 198647

Oh, and most burgers from nu-Brixton businesses are over £8 anyway. :facepalm:
£9.20 in Pop brixton with no fries.
£9 to £13.50 in Honest Burgers.
If you are genuinely trying to compare a Burger King with a small chain or independent burger restaurant then you need to see a doctor.

£12 is a affordable to some people, in fact clearly loads of people. I would never in a million years order a burger from BK. Why does every food outlet have to be "affordable"? It's market forces...

The fact that some of the quality burger restaurants are able to serve medium rare burgers is testament to their provenance and superior quality.

editor

hiraethified
If you are genuinely trying to compare a Burger King with a small chain or independent burger restaurant then you need to see a doctor.
Perhaps you should read back through the thread and see who actually brought up that comparison. And then apologise for your idiotic 'see a doctor remark.'

And I'm glad that £12 is easily affordable to you, but in case you hadn't noticed, large parts of this area are very poor indeed, and very few families living in those communities can afford to splash out £12 for a trendy burger (where you may not even be able to sit down in a proper dining area to eat it).