Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The ongoing gentrification of the Brixton Arches

Lambeth Boy

Anti are paying £1,000 per week plus vat , rates etc per week
Seafood & cocktail bar is the original tenant from thar Arch who done a deal with NR early on in the campaign to return on ‘ reduced ‘ rent

Big Bertha

Marinekanone
Anti are paying £1,000 per week plus vat , rates etc per week
Seafood & cocktail bar is the original tenant from thar Arch who done a deal with NR early on in the campaign to return on ‘ reduced ‘ rent
Don’t understand what ‘reduced’ rent means.

Are you implying it’s not reduced?

Lambeth Boy

It’s cheaper for a few years and then goes to full market value after that ! It was offered to any returning tenant if they surrendered their original lease and signed a new lease outside the landlord and tenant act which is the only ones offered by the new landlord .

Big Bertha

Marinekanone
It’s cheaper for a few years and then goes to full market value after that ! It was offered to any returning tenant if they surrendered their original lease and signed a new lease outside the landlord and tenant act which is the only ones offered by the new landlord .
The old railtrack leases were all out of landlord & tenant weren’t they?

Lambeth Boy

No the original tenants had the older style lease which gave security of tenure protected under the Landlord & Tenant act 1954 giving the tenant the right to renew their lease and negotiate the rent . Arch Co only now offer ‘ contracted out ‘ leases which typically run for 3 - 6 years where the tenant has no legal rights to renew the lease .

Kanda

Diving wanker
Case Study 1: Premises Open
Case Study 2: Premises Closed

I don't get your point.....????

Case Study 1 also looks like it's hosting someones Birthday Party.

editor

hiraethified
Case Study 1: Premises Open
Case Study 2: Premises Closed

I don't get your point.....????

Case Study 1 also looks like it's hosting someones Birthday Party.
How many cocktail bars were there in that stretch before? How many up-market businesses?

Lambeth Boy

Case 1 . Clearly shows a new upmarket Seafood and grill bar which is next to a empty Arch which for 85 years was a local fishmonger ‘ Mash Brothers ‘ who couldn’t afford the new rents !
Case 2. Is a newly opened hairdressers who charge north of £80 for a cut and style next to a butcher who now faces the tripling of his rent !

Ms T

Honey-coloured ramparts
Are the Portuguese butchers coming back? A sign on their old shop said they were.

Lambeth Boy

I believe so but they could be obstructed for quite some time by the supporting scaffolding on the canopy as I understand it could be up there for many months to come plus they’ve been gone over 3 years and a lot of things have changed in Nu Brixton including the higher business rates

shakespearegirl

just worked out taglines
I must admit I’m confused - were the seafood and cocktail bar an existing returning tenant as Lambeth Boy says in post 2 or new as in post 11.

editor

hiraethified
I must admit I’m confused - were the seafood and cocktail bar an existing returning tenant as Lambeth Boy says in post 2 or new as in post 11.
If they were, they've certainly had a nu-Brixton change in direction because there wasn't a cocktail bar there before.

Lambeth Boy

He’s the guy that ran a money exchange / phone repair business and has ‘ transformed ‘ his business into a seafood & cocktail bar presumably acquiring a drinks licence in the meantime

shakespearegirl

just worked out taglines
He’s the guy that ran a money exchange / phone repair business and has ‘ transformed ‘ his business into a seafood & cocktail bar presumably acquiring a drinks licence in the meantime
given the amount of mobile phone repair shops in Brixton I’d hardly mourn one going and being replaced by a restaurant. If it is the existing tenant coming back with a new business to utilise their lease then good on them

editor

hiraethified
given the amount of mobile phone repair shops in Brixton I’d hardly mourn one going and being replaced by a restaurant. If it is the existing tenant coming back with a new business to utilise their lease then good on them
Almost all of the mobile phone repair shops I can think of sell a load of other stuff and occupy absolutely tiny premises that are way too small for a restaurant. And clearly they serve a very useful function in repairing the phones of those people who can't afford to splash out on the latest model.

shakespearegirl

just worked out taglines
Almost all of the mobile phone repair shops I can think of sell a load of other stuff and occupy absolutely tiny premises that are way too small for a restaurant. And clearly they serve a very useful function in repairing the phones of those people who can't afford to splash out on the latest model.
some of the ones up near McDonalds are in pretty big premises. I went into one last year to try and get an old phone unlocked and they certainly aren’t cheap. £50 to unlock a phone and really highly priced secondhand phones.

I wish all the old tenants could have come back into/never had to leave the archers but better some if the tenants come back with new businesses than not return at all.

Gramsci

So he’s an old tenant and thus deserving of support?
The thread topic is the ongoing gentrification of Brixton arches.

For example I know a couple of business in the West End who , in response to rent rises, went upmarket. This effectively excluded the old customers.But meant they hoped to get the newer wealthier inner London demographic who bring in the money to sustain the business.

The pressures of gentrification mean that a business adapts or goes under.

The blame here is on the landlord ( the new owners of the Arches) are the one to blame. Its them being one of the drivers of gentrifiction.

So you do blame the landlord?

Last edited:

editor

hiraethified
I wish all the old tenants could have come back into/never had to leave the archers but better some if the tenants come back with new businesses than not return at all.
I can't agree with that sentiment if they're all coming back as upmarket cocktail bars or whatever, because then they're effectively a new, all-gentrifying business.

Big Bertha

Marinekanone
The thread topic is the ongoing gentrification of Brixton arches.

For example I know a couple of business in the West End who , in response to rent rises, went upmarket. This effectively excluded the old customers.But meant they hoped to get the newer wealthier inner London demographic who bring in the money to sustain the business.

The pressures of gentrification mean that a business adapts or goes under.

The blame here is on the landlord ( the new owners of the Arches) are the one to blame. Its them being one of the drivers of gentrifiction.

So you do blame the landlord?
I’m supportive of a long term tenant who is trying to put food on the table for his family by adapting to changing circumstances.

Gramsci

I’m supportive of a long term tenant who is trying to put food on the table for his family by adapting to changing circumstances.
Not what I was asking about. Do you think blame lies with the big landlords in this area for forcing business like this to go up market to survive. That this is pushing gentrification of the area.

shakespearegirl

just worked out taglines
I can't agree with that sentiment if they're all coming back as upmarket cocktail bars or whatever, because then they're effectively a new, all-gentrifying business.
I can’t find anything about the new business online to see where it’s pricing sits, but obviously the owner has decided what business model he feels is going to work best in the arch that he has the lease on.
At the end of the day he’s running a business not a community service

Lambeth Boy

NR used every trick in their dirty book to force the tenants to vacate , not HT Pawnbrokers or William Hill but that’s another story you can read about on Urban !
NR wanted to clear long term tenants from Arches or to force them into huge rent increases so that the business ‘ appealed ‘ to the hedge fund investment companies when all the Arches were sold off ! It’s as simple as that !!