The office 'scolding email' thread

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Badgers, Nov 14, 2006.

1. That is, almost word for word what I told my punter, whilst giving them a copy of the flim-flam for their lolz.

equationgirl and cupid_stunt like this.
  2. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt & dyslexic cnut.

I attended this 2 hour talk about GDPR recently, almost drifted off, only to discover the very limited data I hold on clients is exempt from requirements, apart from it being secured, which it is in Xero, in the cloud & password protected.

That was £50 & 2 hours of my life I'll never get back. :mad:

3. I keep all their credit card numbers on a bit of paper in my drawer. That seems to comply with the regulations, whereas as password protected, encrypted puter files fail.

So.Much.Bullshit.

KeeperofDragons, Me76 and A380 like this.
  4. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

If you hold data on fellow members of staff in a structured filing system, though, for example if you have been given an address via email, that is covered by the regulation. Ever been emailed a CV, for example?

5. cupid_stunt

All been deleted long ago*, I've a cracking team, haven't needed to recruit for almost 3 years now.

* All applications have been via e-mail, never printed-out & filed.

6. kabbes

It’s not impossible it could happen in the future though, is it? GDPR isn’t something that happens once then goes away again.

And if applications were by email, are you sure those emails aren’t lurking somewhere on the server?

7. cupid_stunt

Sure in future it's a consideration.

My hosting is by a local company, I know the owner well, and he was at the same talk as me, and assures me that back-ups from that long ago were deleted long ago, and has sent a long e-mail out to the 15,000+ sites he hosts going into great detail, I am happy I am covered in that respect.

8. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Literally no company in the entire world seems to have a clue what to do with GDPR, apart from ones like Facebook and Verizon who are basically saying "fuck you sue us". It's actually not that hard but for some reason everyone is having a complete sanity failure. At least some people are _doing_ something I suppose.

I don't want to be too specific but this shit is the absolute bane of my fucking life right now. It's both urgent and important so we must have daily meetings involving dozens of people who know zero about any of it but have to be involved and put their oar in, so even the simplest "let's do this as a baseline" proposals never get agreed until it's too late. Decision-making power is inversely proportional to knowledge. Over the last few weeks it has broken the strongest people I know, who've managed to deal with every sort of internal nonsense in the past.

Me76, Enviro and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  9. kabbes

The irony is that most of the things people are going crazy about were already law under the data protection act anyway. It’s just that they were ignored because the consequences of failure were so paltry.

equationgirl likes this.
  10. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

I have been part of our GDPR task force team and my company has discovered it holds way more personal info than it thought. Our IT system takes various backups, including tape for long term storage, and there is tons of stuff in there. Even if I delete things like CVs, references, stuff for people who have left etc it's still on the backup.

11. equationgirl

My company has been working on GDPR compliance for over a year, it almost seems like an impossible task.

12. kabbes

Yeah, it's a reet nightmare.

Imagine you're an insurance company and you have 25 years of customer databases and you employ teams of actuaries that over the years have thought nothing of taking cuts of those databases and using them to calculate all kinds of things for the business, storing their calculations on their local hard drives as they go. Oh, and under GDPR, you aren't allowed to carry on using the results of those calculations because they were performed using data that you don't have permission to use for that specific purpose, but you aren't sure which results fall into that category.

13. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

I can't wait for May 25th. I'm going to emailing loads of places asking for what they have on me and who they sell it to. :D

14. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

15. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

GDPR will be badly implemented by so many companies who will end up with corporate dementia from having disposed of all their information in a panic.

16. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

a very polite scolding email
    upload_2018-5-11_14-17-1.png

17. equationgirl

A refrigeration Committee?????

18. hippogriff

hippogriff Imposter

trabuquera, Libertad and Badgers like this.
  19. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

lamb1979 had this gem the other day. Someone accidentally left said offending sanitary product on the floor of the loo. Rather than the finder simply grabbing a glove (it's a nursery) and chucking it in the bin there was hours of debate and drama about how disgusting it was etc etc. Never mind the poor person that did it probably felt awful about the mistake and felt shamed all afternoon.. No, it's an 'Incident'

Cunts

IMG-20180514-WA0003.jpg

Badgers and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  20. equationgirl

Work loos for women seem to have two main issues, in my experience - 1) not every cubicle has a sanitary items bin in it and 2) no shelf or ledges to put items while you're sorting yourself out. The floor is usually the nearest flattest surface, especially as most loo roll holders seem to be in round cases, so no flat top.

So can totally see how this happened.

21. Might be nsfw...

quiet guy, fishfinger and Badgers like this.

22. Massive health and safety risk? The jam-rag’s gonna explode or something?

lamb1979 and Badgers like this.
  23. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Cops keep stealing my butter
    IMG_20180516_141424.jpg

Me76 and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  24. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

That's not butter, they won't steal that muck :(

Pickman's model, Badgers and ash like this.
  25. Enviro

Enviro Make your assessment

26. Pickman's model

more fun with the departmental credit card

upload_2018-5-23_9-27-2.png

27. equationgirl

I reckon amazon marketplace could be secondhand or hard to source books so could be legit. The purchase for £129.99 could be a PlayStation though...

28. Pickman's model

i believe some people have copied down the card numbers and are using them for their own nefarious purposes.

cupid_stunt and Badgers like this.
  29. equationgirl

And in a library too, I am shocked I tell you, shocked. To my very core. Naughty library staff.

Hopefully it's just one person and not a whole bunch.

30. equationgirl