1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The new Vauxhall bus station threatened with demolition under Lambeth plans

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Feb 3, 2014.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

If that's the price we must pay for getting rid of the Vauxhall gyratory, then it's worth paying.

EDIT: Hang on, this is Streets In The Sky isn't it?
    Oh god >_<

Greebo, ska invita and ExtraRefined like this.
  3. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Well that didn't last long.
    When I lived in Stockwell, Vaxhall and Clapham that was a bit of a scare on my regular cycle commute.
    Actually I still had to go through it when I lived in Bermondsey and Croydon.

The bus stop thing didn't make it better.

4. Wolveryeti

Wolveryeti Young Lethargio

Pile of arse gravy - I bloody love that ramp.

Is there any point filling in an objection form if I don't live in Lambeth?

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I bet there's some growing excitement in the offices of far east property investors.

6. RedDragon

RedDragon "I am not one of your fans!"

couldn't they just dismantle and move it

Greebo likes this.
  7. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

How longs it been there?

Seems a waste of money to have built it if its less than say 12 years old?

Greebo likes this.
  8. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Slo-mo, Greebo and Manter like this.
  9. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

i agree, but its a major junction, and im not sure if the traffic can be designed away. I wonder if the numerous clubs in the arches are safe in any future plans? i care more for them than a bus stop

10. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Looks like the covers are coming off:
    http://www.vauxhallcivicsociety.org.uk/2015/01/tfl-property-developer-kate-hoey/

Greebo likes this.
  12. Inevitable result of electing a free market Tory looncunt as mayor.

Pickman's model and Greebo like this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

14. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

not-bono-ever likes this.
  15. that is fucking ugly. The bollocks about a community space & employment oppurtunties is galling- who is going to be living in this monstrosity?

The token shite about a mix of affordable/ private housing is typical of developers-as ever, i can see it being watered down to an Elepahnt and castle format where the developers effectively bung some cash to the council offset the reality of having the masses in their lovely development.Class war have previously highlighted zaha hadids shit IIRC

16. sealion

sealion If you can't dance just nod your head

I passed there recently, the foundations havn't gone in yet but theres some blurb gushing about the versace designed interiors. So defo for the workers :rolleyes:

Pickman's model likes this.
  17. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Its an aweful environment around Vauxhall terrible air quality, deafening and dominated by traffic and intimidating to walk and cycle around, something could and should be done to improve the area. But it looks as though they are in the wrong frame of mind to do anything good. Not fussed about the bus station though if something good was built to replace it. but that cluster of high rises is such low quality it would probably make things worse.

Pickman's model likes this.
  18. Juno4000

Juno4000 Banned Banned

It is a Saudi

19. Crispy

The bus station rebuild is all part of the TfL scheme to improve the roads around Vauxhall (tons of info here), removing the gyratory, restoring 2-way traffic and introducing segregated cycle routes. This is independent of the redevlopment of sites SW of the bus station, which are unprecedented in terms of scale and density for this bit of town.

Vauxhall existing.png

Vauxhall proposed sections.png

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  20. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

I've never liked that bus station. It is far to hard and harsh, so adds to the general harshness of the junction. It does seem moderately incompetent though to have spent plenty on it and now be talking about demolishing it just a few years later.

salem and tim like this.
  21. Crispy

The best thing about the new layout is that you'll no longer have to cross any roads to change between rail and bus/tube

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I kind of liked its aluminium style - it looked a bit American to me - but those proposed tower blocks are extra fugly.

23. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

Vauxhall will cement its reputation as the world centre for hideous architecture

editor likes this.
  24. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

The mi6 building, the Broadway malyan flats opposite and the cigarette lighter are already three of London’s worst buildings

25. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

I liked that bus station. I've waited for a fair few night buses there after nights out and it seems to work well for a convenient place to wait out of the rain.

agricola and TopCat like this.
  26. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Is this what you get when major supermarkets move in, not to mention the American Embassy. No doubt the first victim will be the homeless persons hostel.

krtek a houby and sealion like this.
  27. sealion

Gone long ago.

28. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

The plans are advanced bar the reality that tfl have to make up for the removal of its revenue grant and may find the project a low priority as the cuts bite harder.

29. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

there are still two on Bondway

30. sealion

Where the terminus is ?