1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The new right-wing political correctness

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by J Ed, Oct 17, 2015.

1. J Ed

J Ed I remember the future

mather and Favelado like this.
  2. toggle

toggle wobbly

the one i heard being used is that there are so many people who will not vote for a woman because shes a woman that we should vote for the woman to counter that effect, then the elections are fairer.

3. LiamO

LiamO Share the love

4. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

I've still not seen the thatch film bio Its meant to be pretty solid as these visual hagiographies go. Don't think I'll bother tbh

5. Patteran

Patteran A nowadays excuse

Toby Young was at it yesterday in the Mail, complaining about Schama's use of 'suburban' as an insult on Question Time to Rod Liddle - 'Turn your suburban face away from the plight of the miserable'. Young's response, which I won't link to but is easily found, contains this belter 'To be honest, I’m fed up with being dismissed as selfish and materialistic just because I am a member of the bourgeoisie.'

6. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

7. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Silenced /saɪlənst/, verb: cause to become silent; prohibit or prevent from speaking; have article published in Independent

8. J Ed

9. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

It's probably just me but I find it impossible to see the words 'red brick university' and not immediately hear them in the style of Importance of Being Earnest's "a haaaandbag".

10. J Ed

I see that the right's new favourite Labour MP (because she told that Diane Abbot, a conduit for their misogyny and racism, to fuck off and called Corbyn sexist) is now being attacked because she has dared to slight a male Tory MP.

Jess Phillips is clearly an idiot, but it's interesting to see the comparison in the reaction to these comments. When she slags off Corbyn it is accepted as fact and we are supposed to nod earnestly at the supposedly sexist make up of Corbyn's majority female shadow cabinet but the second she sets out of line and attacks a Tory on gender issues it is clearly that that is a step too far.

CNT36 likes this.
  11. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

It's almost like they don't care about gender issues at all! :eek:

mather likes this.
  12. J Ed

13. J Ed

14. J Ed

The Hillary stuff just keeps coming, more absolutely incoherent sophistry which screams 'yeah OK, they aren't sexist but here's some clever ways you can think of them as sexist anyway' here

The Bernie Bros vs. the Hillarybots

15. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

mojo pixy and trabuquera like this.
  16. J Ed

Hating Hillary: The One Thing Left and Right Men Can Agree On | GlobalCommentGlobalComment

Vote for the racist, union-busting, welfare-destroying neoliberal war criminal or you hate not only women but specifically all 'little girls'. I wonder what that means for the women murdered and raped in misogynist violence by the right-wing military and paramilitary forces which HRC backed in the 2009 coup against Zelaya? Honestly it's worth highlighting the parallels between this and the neoliberal identitarian rhetoric in favour of Liz Kendall and Yvette Cooper and against Corbyn during the Labour leadership campaign but given that we've reached this stuff already I think that it will eclipse it majorly.

mather, The Pale King and CNT36 like this.
  17. J Ed

The Israel Lobby’s Totalitarian Agenda: Smash Free Speech and Criminalize Resistance

18. Casually Red

Casually Red tomorrow belongs to me

19. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

I suppose, if he'd prefer, we could dismiss him as selfish and materialistic because he's a gigantic cunt?

20. flypanam

flypanam “There is no reason for restraint”

21. J Ed

The way in which the BBC highest paid employees debate has been fought and contested by both people in favour of obscene pay and the institution fits into this I think. Rather than the question of obscene pay in and of itself, many BBC detractors including many to the right of say the present Labour leadership, have chosen to highlight that the pay disparity rather than being unjustifiable in and of itself is wrong because only 20% of those paid unimaginable amounts of money, rather than 50% or 51% or whatever, are women.

The BBC in turn has responded to criticisms by addressing, and pledging to amend, this disparity in pay through more gender representation rather than through a more egalitarian system of pay. So there you go, state broadcaster and majority voices of criticism of that state broadcaster both accepting the terrain of there is no alternative neoliberal management and a purely representative identity politics framework as the only legitimate way to raise and respond to grievances.

I really do think there has been an acceleration of this sort of discourse and politics even in the past year.

22. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

spot on, unholy combo of " the market decides" and " our bad, but don't worry, we'll sort the gender pay gap" ...jobs a good un

23. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

I'm just finished reading Walter Benn Michaels' book The Trouble with Diversity. It was published in 2006. In it he mocks a 'Diversity Management Firm' for offering to manage companies diversity policies as regards things like 'diversity of birth order' and 'diversity of thought'. The last was seen at that point to be self-evident nonsense that was simply opportunistic dollar grabbing and preying on liberal consciences in order to do so - soon to die. In this google twats letter he says:

• Viewpoint diversity is arguably the most important type of diversity and political orientation is one of the most fundamental and significant ways in which people view things differently.
    • In highly progressive environments, conservatives are a minority that feel like they need to stay in the closet to avoid open hostility. We should empower those with different ideologies to be able to express themselves.
    • Alienating conservatives is both non-inclusive and generally bad business because conservatives tend to be higher in conscientiousness, which is require for much of the drudgery and maintenance work characteristic of a mature company.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    J Ed and kabbes like this.
  24. J Ed

Current Affairs | Culture & Politics

William of Walworth likes this.
  25. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

I would hazard a guess that the corporate co-opting of schools of thought arises in part, from training at business schools.Business schools, in their role of producing a courtier class, thrive on the appropriation of other disciplines and subvert them into a doctrine of "management" that reinforces the primacy of financial outcomes. Political economy, psychology, sociology and occasionally mathematics are all co-opted. Shameful institutions.

NoXion likes this.
  26. J Ed

How long before the more heavy handed stuff makes its way into advertising? 'My shampoo will be intersectional or it will be bullshit, because I'm worth it'

mather and NoXion like this.
  27. J Ed

Some of these reactions to Lewis' 'on your knees, bitch' comment are just incredible.

The fact that the Tories, and Blairites, have begun to ape the political behaviour of student union Trots is quite something. There is no way it is going to work either, they are lost in their own ruling class filter bubble, things like this just makes them look bizarre and the people they are attacking more reasonable.

28. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

I think I need a bit more background to fully understand this?

29. J Ed

At Labour conference during some Novara media party Clive Lewis said, joking, 'on your knees bitch' to another bloke as part of some sort of game. Right of Labour and Tories are trying to weaponise that as some sort of horrendously sexist and abusive thing to have said and done.

NoXion likes this.
  30. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

Really? That's absolutely pathetic.

Did the supposed victim have anything to say about it?