1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The new right-wing political correctness

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by J Ed, Oct 17, 2015.

1. J Ed

J Ed I remember the future

Discovering that there are Blairites who actually believe all this is partly why I started this thread. I assumed that it was purely a (not very good) rhetorical device to win support for Cooper and/or Kendall but there are people walking around amongst us who genuinely seem to believe that people voted overwhelmingly for Corbyn in order to keep Kendall and Cooper out on the basis of their gender.

mather likes this.
  2. Wolveryeti

Wolveryeti Young Lethargio

3. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

attempting and failing to use twitter to show corbyn as an anti semite was a high low point of the whole campaign

toggle likes this.
  4. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

identity politics has a point but its a small point.

using it too complain put right an obvious problem
    basing your response to everything around an identity rapidly becomes pointless.

complaining about transphobia in employment fine.

trying to shoehorn transphobia into an argument about syria or economics stupid.

greenfield and treelover like this.
  5. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

NoXion, BigTom, SpineyNorman and 6 others like this.
  6. taffboy gwyrdd

taffboy gwyrdd Embrace the confusion!

Right wing PC has been around since about the time the right wing started moaning about liberal/left PC.

There's a host of dubious constructs, perhaps most chiefly that what they call "political correctness" is bad soley because they say it is pc, no need for acutal analysis of a case. Then there's a whole bunch of "I am not even allowed to say...." stuff that lots of people say. Doublethink, martyr myths, the whole lot....nauseating, stupid and arguably into it's 4th decade of phoney posturing 2 faced bullshit.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    Vintage Paw and toggle like this.
  7. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

[​IMG]

ViolentPanda and taffboy gwyrdd like this.
  8. two sheds

two sheds not as daft as i look

I love that - "We're not allowed to say <bigoted shit> any more" and then ... they say it. :D

9. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

How brave of them, shrugging off the yoke of oppression :D

What did such people say to demonstrate their bravery before they were given "PC"? Obv, sexist and racist shit they just said. But... there were still unsayable things: Lèse-majesté? Casting aspersions on a gentlewoman's chastity? Ditto, a gentleman's heterosexuality? Casting aspersions on the King's heterosexuality? How were these prefaced?

two sheds and frogwoman like this.
  10. DotCommunist

'I lend no credence to the vile rumour that....'

or learnedness

'Its a matter of incontrovertible fact that the lower orders predominately show traits of physiognomy that Mr Lombroso has confirmed most closely indicate criminality'

campanula and laptop like this.
  11. Bakunin

Bakunin I am Noodle's bitch.

Penny Dreadful does indeed have form for this. I've crossed paths on social media with a few of her supporters in Twitter, especially on the difference between legitimate criticism and disagreement and the kind of misogyny and trolling that I don't like any more than she does.

Their line seemed to be that there's no great difference between the two.

LynnDoyleCooper likes this.
  12. DotCommunist

then there was #spiney norman the massive racistgate

13. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper It's a complicated world innit.

Bunch of self-important egoists, "They can't possibly have a problem with the politics, it must be about ME."

14. Bakunin

Bakunin I am Noodle's bitch.

LynnDoyleCooper likes this.
  15. treelover

treelover Well-Known Member

Trying telling that to the SWP, its their M.O

16. LynnDoyleCooper

The terms identity and intersectional politics do cover a fair bit of variety and ground though, and while I agree lots of what passes for those things is individualistic, sub-cultural, and moralist nonsense, I think it's a bit much to say that it's all a dead end as some of the perspectives and elements from them are understandable as reactions to the often pretty shit politics of much of the activist and traditional left, as well as also offering some useful and radical perspectives on oppressive power and how to recognise, confront, and defeat it.

17. LynnDoyleCooper

But anyway, please resume slating Laurie Penny... :p

likesfish likes this.
  18. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

it does have its place but only up to a point.
    like a lot of things its a Hammer which is great when you need to hit nails nothing better.
    rubbish if you end up facing a bolt.

One of the problems with an Ideology is if its not wide enough it doesn't have the necessary tools to deal with the problem

19. SpineyNorman

SpineyNorman it was already like that when I got here

She's a massive racist

Libertad and ViolentPanda like this.
  20. toggle

toggle wobbly

all based on the idea that what existed in the post war decades was how society always was before that.

with their obsession with a 1950's styled vision of victorian england, then ti's a shame they dont go back to the actual victorian middle classes they claim to adore- the people who did consider unnecessary mentioning of race to be downright rude. (at least they did by the 1890s when mention of the race of a visiting vicar in a local paper caused all sorts of complaints about bad manners)

21. two sheds

And have you seen the size of her feet? :eek::eek:

22. toggle

toggle wobbly

by hints, that were obvio9us when you know the language, but that in theory meant something else.

i'm back off to the victorian era here, but going through Punch issues from the 1880s and there's a lot of nicknames. nd a lot of hints. and a lot of figures that take a bit of time to work out who they are. it might be a reference to the upcoming scandal of the MP named as the man boffing someone else's wife, or it might not. just enough doubt to avoid libel.

and I did have a list of phrases that were used in the press to indicate a gentleman's preference for the company of fellow single, well dressed, gentlemen, but I can't fecking fund it. or the articles about the scandalous behavior of the guards regiment who appeared to be running their barracks as a house of ill repute for such gentlemen.

23. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Rightwinger-as-victim goes back to the late 19th century at the very least.

24. ViolentPanda

In other words they're shaping their individual responses to whichever trope scores them the most on PD's "wheel of oppression"? :)

J Ed likes this.
  25. ViolentPanda

I wouldn't piss on Swappies, let alone tell them anything.

26. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

I'm not entirely certain it's quite that easy. In the case of the candidate I mentioned, she's a Blairite first and foremost, and I think she'd jump on anything to discredit Corbyn and his supporters - this just happens to be one that captures the imagination, because of the reasons you're suggesting in the OP. I'd say it's a bit of both.

mather likes this.
  27. two sheds

nah it's shit that there's people voted for Corbyn to keep Kendall and Cooper cos of their gender. I'd have loved to have joined Labour if there was a female Corbynesque candidate. As I'm sure would loads of other people.

mather likes this.
  28. Vintage Paw

Yeah but in the absence of one, what do you do? Support Thatcher, er, Kendall, or Corbyn? I'm being facetious, obv.

There's a serious point to be made about structural inequality, and the things women have to overcome to get to the same point as men all other things being equal, but at the same time there were two women in the race and two men in the race and it wasn't the fault of Corbyn that neither Kendall nor Cooper share his popularity with lefties. That's down to them. Maybe we can have a discussion about why there were no left-wing women who wanted to stand, but we'd probably find ourselves pootling around in the midst of realising there were very few left-wing men in a position to stand as well, and wandering off into a conversation about how the Blair-Brown years so successfully created a swathe of male and female politicians who are absolute titweasels.

I mean, I love my feminist identity politics, ask anyone, but not voting for Corbyn because he's not a woman when the same person would have voted for a woman who held the exact same views is fucking stupid.

29. two sheds

:) I think

<I'm not good with double negatives :( >

30. Vintage Paw

And I'm shit with sentence structure :D

two sheds likes this.