The Moto G Phone, £135 yet decent smart phone.

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by Sunray, Nov 13, 2013.

1. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

Mines cracked no where stocks screens

2. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

the screen on mine has gone tits up, coloured lines all over the place, still usable but only just.
    This happened after I was showing friends the google cardboard VR stuff.
    Seems to have fried the GPU or something.

3. editor

editor hiraethified

Have you tried turning it off completely and then back on?

*sorry if I'm stating the obvious

4. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

yes, unfortunately all the visual problems are there right from the boot screen which is why I'm pretty sure
    it is hardware not software,
    I've had a good couple of years use out of it but I'm now a bit scared of using VR on the next phone I buy.

5. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

Is there any way to get control of app permissions on and old Moto G with the latest updates? I downloaded a recommended app to do it but it doesn't work on Android 5.1.

6. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

Any ideas on this? Or is it just not possible?

7. ash

ash Inittogether

Any ideas of where to get a screen replace walk in central London it close to Brixton?

8. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Bulla liberali in perpetuum.

I think it might be time to join the modern world and am thinking of a G4 plus - to get the extra microSD storage capacity among other things - though a 256GB card adds another 70 quid ...

But then I have to find a use for my Orange Montecarlo ...

:hmm:

9. QOTH

QOTH Well-Known Member

My MotoG (2nd gen) is coming to the end of its life i think - had the screen replaced once and it's cracked to fuck again and getting slow and erratic.

I've been looking at Wileyfox as an alternative as the newer Motos don't seem to have had such a good write up. I like the idea of it being waterproof though.

10. fizzerbird

fizzerbird Always there when I need me...

Cheers QOTH

I've just been looking at the Wileyfox site and reviews on other sites about the Storm and the Swift...now got my eye on a swift with the dual simm capacity...:thumbs:

11. stdP

stdP I never learn.

I've bought myself a Swift, although being a geek I'm ripping out the CyanogenOS and putting on a google-free CyanogenMod build instead. The Swift itself seems a plenty good piece of kit, especially for the price, but I'm no expert on android.

12. QOTH

QOTH Well-Known Member

13. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

I've got a Moto G that has recently started playing up. It can be quite slow and some of the apps often don't respond. I suspect this is to do with its age. Is there a way of improving the performance? I already clear the cache regularly.

Will stopping the apps updating themselves help?

14. Infidel Castro

Infidel Castro Producto Falso

My Huawei P9 has a class screen. Battery is going to shit though :hmm:

Edited to add: not a budget phone though really.

15. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

the moto g6 and g6 plus is now out

16. Poi E

Poi E Well-Known Member

Got the G6 plus. Shit camera but otherwise OK (poor focussing in low light being the main issue. Wife's G5 camera is much better.)

17. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I'll meet you further on up the road

I factory reset mine and wiped data as I was giving it away. Person who has it says it's going well

Maggot likes this.
  18. Maggot

Thanks, but I don't want to wipe all my data!

19. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I'll meet you further on up the road

It sorted the persistent issues I'd had with it
    Most data can be retrieved if you save it, can't it?

20. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

It's pretty easy to backup. Even if you don't want to wipe it, this is worth doing anyway, just in case.

Maggot likes this.
  21. Maggot

I've not done it before. How do you back up?

22. UnderAnOpenSky

Is it signed in with a Gmail account? That should take care of most stuff like photos.

What else do you have on there?

23. Almor

Almor Well-Known Member

SMS backup and restore will back up texts and call history, if they're important to you

It would be nice if there was a straightforward way to back up settings and WiFi saved networks and Bluetooth pairings
    I think these can be backed up but I've never waded through the various third party utilities that claim to do it to find a good one, I expect root is required

24. Maggot

Yes, they have my photos and address book. What about apps, text messages and whatsapp messagges?

25. lazythursday

lazythursday Well-Known Member

Your apps download automatically when you log in to your phone.

Maggot likes this.
  26. Maggot

FFS I got an app called mobikin assistant for android that was recommended for storing all your data. I have factory reset my phone, but the app won't let me reload my other apps unless I pay for the full version. :mad:

27. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

Why can't you reload apps yourself? Google Play store gas a handy Library tab in 'My apps & games'.

Maggot likes this.
  28. Maggot

Great, Thanks for that :)

29. lazythursday

lazythursday Well-Known Member

Yeah I've never had to install a special app, I swear either the apps have downloaded automatically or Google has asked me which I want to restore when I've connected my Google account.

30. UnderAnOpenSky

What's app messages should just sync across. Apps you get a list of ones you've downloaded before when you reset the phone or get a new one and it asks if you want to download them again. You can get an app to back up text messages, but I dont normally bother, so can't recommend a specific one.

Maggot likes this.