The Monochrome Set are back!

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by editor, Oct 7, 2008.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

The drummer took the picture.

2. Libertad

Libertad Would it help?

;)

3. High Voltage

High Voltage In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters

I was hoping to hear of some Keith Moon / Tommy Lee "drummer excess" along the lines of a TV out of a hotel window / car driven a high speed into a swimming pool from your recent tour of the US, to be honest

There's always a night out in Bristol, I 'spose

4. editor

editor hiraethified

I would have liked that too but it was so bloody hectic: we had nine shows and three radio sessions in 10 days and covered both sides of the US. The one day we had 'off' was spent travelling 10 hours in a bus.

Still, I'm not complaining for one second as it was a fantastic experience.

TopCat, ddraig and High Voltage like this.
  5. editor

editor hiraethified

fishfinger and Idaho like this.
  6. editor

editor hiraethified

Well, this is an exciting update from the FB page:

7. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Any Vancouver dates?

8. editor

editor hiraethified

I don't think so, sadly.

9. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Should have caught you in Portland. Bollocks. If you're doing any more gigs in Portland check out McMennimans hotels. They make hotels out of places which shouldn't really be hotels (classic USA high school, gay bath house, etc). Super cheap and many rooms are hand painted on a musical theme.

editor likes this.
  10. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

What about Toronto? It's kind of on the way from Boston to Detroit, if you do a big loop north through Montreal...

11. editor

editor hiraethified

It seems Canada is a bit of a tricky one logistically. Although I'd LOVE to play there.

12. editor

editor hiraethified

Here's a clip from a radio session we did in Portland:

blossie33, Ming and skyscraper101 like this.
  13. 8ball

8ball Bar Bore Silver Medallist

Where's the tartan suit? :(

14. editor

editor hiraethified

Wish I never mentioned it now. I don't wear it every day of the week and certainly wouldn't be able to play comfortably in a full suit!
    Besides, most of the clothes you wear on tour ar ones you shouldn't feel too precious about as you're likely to leave them in a hotel somewhere or on the backatga e area after you've had 10 Jagers.
    See: I need to get a package picked up from the USA - what's the best way to do this?

15. 8ball

:D

A lot of bands separate their regular gear for knocking about and travelling from everyone's 'stage clothes', which goes in the cases with the other gear that goes to the venue. Has some logistical advantages. Tends to be bigger bands to my knowledge, which makes sense as they are sometimes changing costumes mid-set anyway.

What happened to the jacket in the end? Is it still in that warehouse with the alien corpse and the Ark of the Covenant?

16. editor

editor hiraethified

We're really not not enough to have stage wardrobes on tour! We only take what can fit in our standard luggage on the plane. And with 9 gigs in 10 days, the bag's almost full with normal clean clothes!

Lost in space. It was supposed to be returned to the USA but I'm sure there's a postal worker somewhere strutting around with a nice jacket.

17. 8ball

I wasn't thinking as 'big' as stage wardrobes really. Played in a band years ago where we wore those Guantanamo orange jumpsuits sometimes. They fitted in the pedal bag and we didn't need to think about what to wear and whether it was practical for before/after.

Devo, Kraftwerk and others have had the same basic idea.

Would love to go on a short tour like that.

18. editor

editor hiraethified

I wouldn't want to be stood near you onstage after three or four days into the tour! :D

8ball likes this.
  19. 8ball

Well yeah, we never did a tour, so that wasn't an issue. A mate of mine was on tour with his band once and there were sometimes lots drawn to determine who went to the laundrette (signed band, but not *big*).

20. editor

editor hiraethified

We didn't have time to visit a laundrette, but I would wash some pants and socks and t-shirts when I got to the hotel and leave the heating on full to dry them out. Not exactly Lenor fresh but better than whiffing like a beast.

8ball likes this.
  21. 8ball

Yeah, looked at a bit of your driver's diary - looks like a hectic schedule.
    My mate's band was touring the UK and on getting to each town seemed to have late morning til early evening to hang around and see stuff.

If I had to name some things that ska-punk bands were interested in, cathedrals wouldn't usually be first thought.

RubyToogood likes this.
  22. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

Always worth asking if the venue has laundry facilities... A lot of them do for exactly this reason...

23. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Great tune Ed! (More cowbell!). I get what the vocalist was saying about the roots of creativity is not necessarily in the higher brain functions. The older parts of the brain (it evolved from the top of the spinal column outwards, upwards and forwards) govern the more primal emotional functions generally.

editor likes this.
  24. editor

editor hiraethified

Ooh, the album has been announced with a few audio snippets here:

I really like 'Summer of the Demon'

The Monochrome Set - Fabula Mendax - LP+ – Rough Trade

Ming and danny la rouge like this.