1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Monochrome Set are back!

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by editor, Oct 7, 2008.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Well they are, but sadly it looks like it's for just one date only and that's an invite-only Cherry Red party tomorrow night at Dingwalls with JimBob and Atilla.

But on the bright side, I've just blagged a ticket :D

2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

They didn't ask you to drum then?

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Be a bit odd if they did ask me seeing as I haven't played with any of them for about 16 years!

I'm looking forward to seeing them again.

4. clandestino

clandestino no llevar papel

dammit, i'd love to go to that.

5. lights.out.london

lights.out.london Black Flag

Bugger. A fine band. I think I have a 7" of Jacob's Ladder (?) from 83, 84?

I'd love to hear them again. :(

Enjoy yourself!

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They were fucking great. I mean, really really good. They sounded fresher, punkier and more fun than on record.

Bid was pissed and really funny, Lester Square's guitar playing was as sharp as ever and they had a whole load of fun on stage.

It's a real shame that they're unlikely to play again live - they've just turned down a big festival gig in LA.

But how's this for a bizarre twist?: Iggy Pop has done a cover of "He's Frank" (produced by Norman Cook) and it appears on the Heroes TV show!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vtqcn6pYTrA

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

A few cameraphone pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. clandestino

Aw, what did they play?

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

*tries to remember over the fug of free lager

They opened with The Monochrome Set and the set included Eine Symphonie des Grauens, Jet Set Junta, Jacob's Ladder, Mating Game, I Love Lambeth, Ruling Class and Lester Leaps In.

It's a real shame that they've no plans to play more gigs because they sounded ridicuously fresh. It was one of the best gigs I've seen this year by miles. Eme loved it too.

10. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Are you not drumming then?

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You've arrived a little late to this thread, haven't you?

:D

12. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Oh hang on I now realise I have bloody missed this and along with LTC's post.

Twat it.

13. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Um yes. I've been a bit busy since Sunday so haven't scanned the boards as much as usual.

poo.

14. clandestino

:(

15. lights.out.london

lights.out.london Black Flag

The hat! The hat! :D

Thanks for the pics and (part) list, ed. *jealous*

Shame they're not playing out again.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Video of a full gig here. Must be something like 20 years old.

Sea Star likes this.
  17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's a new song by them. It sounds like their old stuff (i.e. it's pretty good)

Sea Star likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Blooming heck - this was a stroke of luck. Out of the blue, I got asked to rejoin the band and did my first gig last night at a sold out Ivy House in Nunhead.

I was as nervous as fuck seeing as I'd only had two rehearsals (and hadn't drummed at all for 2.5 years) but it went really well. And we're going on the road too - look out Colchester, Southampton, Sheffield, Bristol, Glasgow, Edinburgh - and Germany! (urbanites drop me a line and I'll see if I can sort out a guest list space or two).

Their new album's picked up great reviews too. Love this song

Premiere: Watch Morrissey's influencers The Monochrome Set in video to 'Cosmonauts' | Gigwise

#excited

ska invita, ddraig, aqua and 12 others like this.
  19. Voley

Voley If you're happy and you know it, fuck off.

Ah that's excellent news, ed.

Badgers and editor like this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

21. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

editor likes this.
  22. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

editor likes this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh blimey. Someone filmed the set. I was on a wobbly kit, with a uncomfortable seat and couldn't quite see my notes which has slipped on to the floor. And you can't hear the cowbell in all their finery in this song (to my delight, the band have told me they can't get enough cowbell. I suspect I may be putting that assertion to the test, especially when I turn up with three on Saturday :D ).

ddraig, petee, discobastard and 2 others like this.
  24. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

Nice work Ed. Hope you have a blast

That kit is all over the place!

editor likes this.
  25. Voley

How did the gig go, ed?

26. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

I've waited 8 years for spooky frank to post on this thread so i can make a shit monochrome set lyric related joke. I shall have to make do with the November Bristol gig.

editor likes this.
  27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The Colchester one? It went well, although I'm still getting my head around all the songs, so there was the odd 'jazz' bit from me. The crowd were great though and it was real fun night with lots of jokes being exchanged. The venue was wonderful - a beautiful converted church. Here's a shot of one of the support bands in action:

2016-09-25_141044.jpg

Voley likes this.
  28. Voley

That's brilliant. I'm really chuffed this is going so well for you. My sister told me to tell you the same, too. Remember us all when you're headlining Glastonbury won't you?

editor likes this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I had a nice kit this time and it was even better once I'd put on the fairy lights :)

ska invita, Voley and wiskey like this.
  30. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

just discovered this thread, had heard about TMS back on the road, but then to discover Ed on drums.....:cool::eek:

not sure why they seemed such an imptnt band to me for a good few years, its not like there was an emotional connnection or anything, too arch / knowing / sly etc ...but just never got tired of Strange Boutique, and they felt so unique, even amongst a lot of unique stuff back -

still have my copy in a box somewhere, and pretty sure it's my OG with 'property of Camden libraries' engraved, big, into the run out section , as with so many of my top teen LPs.

Hope the tour's ongoing/ as much fun as it sounds

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    editor likes this.